The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

lightweight monitors for remote classical
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lightweight monitors for remote classical

Dear all,

I carry a pair Genelec 1032 to most recordings. Since they are a bit heavy I am looking for a replacement.

I see people using Adam S3As, KRKs, SonusFabers.

A dealer I contacted suggests Fluid audio F5, and Eve audio sc205, equator D5,
but I haven't heard any of these.

any suggestions?

thank you,
Emmanuel
Old 3 weeks ago
A pair of Yamaha HS5 is my loyal remote companion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I can never say enough great things about the Neumann KH120As.
I love their size, sound and power for such a small speaker.

We have been using them for each and every one of our portable on location recording dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
Dear all,

I carry a pair Genelec 1032 to most recordings. Since they are a bit heavy I am looking for a replacement.

I see people using Adam S3As, KRKs, SonusFabers.

A dealer I contacted suggests Fluid audio F5, and Eve audio sc205, equator D5,
but I haven't heard any of these.

any suggestions?

thank you,
Emmanuel
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For what they are, I'd give a serious listen to the Equator D5s. Mine are used the past three years as much for live PA work (FoH at plays and musicals) as location recording, and do well in either application. They fit precisely into an old Tamrac camera bag's main compartment, with cables in the front pockets.

HB
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The pragmatist in me looks at virtually all of the currently listed suspects of location monitors, and their complete absence of protective grille covers...and wonders how folks here are able to avoid poking a hole through the speakers cones and/or tweeter diaphragms, especially when putting them into or extracting from their travel bags ?

Clearly it's not an issue for most, and presumably 'just be careful when you shift them' is the necessary caution....but I'd feel much more assured toting around a pair of speakers which had removeable protective grille frames, which could be taken off when the speaker was in place.

Very few even have those 4 corner sprocket sockets, into which a frame could be fitted ie: https://www.simplyspeakers.com/asset...PEG-Single.jpg

My general question to all on-location speaker users here would be: 'Is this a non-issue for you, or a feature you'd welcome.... if it were more generally incorporated into oft-moved monitor designs' ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

D5s have a port below the concentric 5" driver. They go into the Tamrac upside down (port "up") facing the back of the bag, with purpose cut corrugated cardboard against the driver-side and between the boxes. It's a close fit, but nothing moves once they're in place. Removal is accomplished with my finger in the port, lifting it out. Dozens of deployments, and zero problems. Same bag worked similarly with Bx5As... but the D5s do sound better for my purposes. Just got to be smart with packing up.

MMV. Works for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Good to know ! ....and how clever they designed those chuff ports to be ergonomically finger-sized for carry-bag extraction, someone in design was thinking out of the box there That sheet of corrugated cardboard is going to be my friend when I get a pair of D5's...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anybody experience with Fluid FPX7 or FX8?

I read reports on gearslutz low end theory about the FX8 having a nice bass range, but less pronounced around 1kHz.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

thanks for the responses.

I haven't heard any of those speakers you suggest,
and I don't know a place around here where I can compare them.
(could order them via Thomann and send back, but can you order two pairs at a time?)

Anybody experience with these coaxial speakers ?
are they better in not-treated rooms? than normal 2 way speakers?

I read reports on gearslutz low end theory about the FX8 having a nice bass range, starting at 36Hz, i guess that's very good for a small speaker, but some claim they are less pronounced around 1kHz.
My genelec 1032 are 42-21k, and I don't really like the lows on them.
I record organ and chamber music. so not sure if I should buy an excellent
small speaker that has less lows but better mids, or a 8 inch model,
with mayber lesser mids.

Apart from that I did hear AMT tweeters in Adams and certainly liked them.

EVE sc208
11kg
390 x 255 x 330 mm
Frequency range (-3db):36 Hz - 21 kHz
1330€/pair

Fluid FX8
10kg (less heavy)
340 x 254 x 270 mm (really smaller)
Frequency range (-3db):35 - 22 kHz (equal)
385 €/pair (3.4 times cheaper)

Eve sc205
5kg
275 x 175 x 233 mm
Frequency range (-3db):53 Hz - 21 kHz
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Amphion One12

Amphion One12 and Amp100 mono amps are a combination worth looking at. You can listen to them in extreme nearfield and get surprisingly accurate bass info. Also ok to carry around.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Another vote for Neumann KH120A's
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Recently implemented the Neumann 80 monitors. Smaller than the 120 and also with very good sound.

I carry them together in a bag made for the 120 speakers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Neumann KH120
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Neumann 80 monitors.

I carry them together in a bag made for the 120 speakers.
I actually wasn't impressed when I heard your pair. Although we didn't compare both in the same room, I've heard/used the 120's in different spaces (including on location) and they seem to have quite a bit more bass and oomph for just a little more weight in my experience. Moreover, if you're using a 120 case for the 80's they're effectively the same size for transport.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Equator D5s. Mine are used the past three years as much for live PA work (FoH
Where do small studio monitors fit in doing live sound? I can't wrap my head around this but perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
Where do small studio monitors fit in doing live sound? I can't wrap my head around this but perhaps I'm missing something.
I'm usually mixing choral, jazz band and theatrical shows from a booth in the balcony. These fit well (small) and, in the immediate near field, delayed to and blended with the mains, provide me much-needed detail from a suck-o position.

MMV. Works for me.

H
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The 1032 can indeed be saggy on the bass and, if you're monitoring in wacky random side rooms like I am sometimes, would probably not be a good fit for these makeshift rooms that are already boomy on the low end.

The Neumann 120 is indeed impressive, as seems to be the consensus here.

However, I've even had a situation where the bass on those felt bloated in my wacky makeshift backstage side room.

I've really come to know and appreciate the Pelonis Model 42 in my studio the past couple of years. They're about the size of Auratones, concentric, and go down to about 70Hz. I'm thinking the minimized low end might even be a feature in the kinds of rooms I'm talking about where the bass sucks anyway. The imaging and frequency response is great and they come with built-in 5-band (DSP) parametric EQ, which could be helpful if the room is too wacky. They come with a 1-unit rackmount amp, so the main obstacle is wiring them on location. I haven't done it yet, but the plan is to wire up 4-pin XLR's to make it easy. They'd take up minimal desk space and sound quite a bit better than most other options (I'd say even the 120's, even though they have less bass).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
suck-o position
So you're not even mixing based on what's coming out of the mains? That's crazy. You're a good sport.

Thanks for the elaboration.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually wasn't impressed when I heard your pair. Although we didn't compare both in the same room, I've heard/used the 120's in different spaces (including on location) and they seem to have quite a bit more bass and oomph for just a little more weight in my experience. Moreover, if you're using a 120 case for the 80's they're effectively the same size for transport.
I can understand your reaction. Weren't we recording organ music? I don't think they are up to that task. My pair is brand new so I think they will have to break in and loosen up before coming into their own.

The main thing I want to hear is stereo picture and to judge depth.

The other pair I like is Dynaudio BM5A mkIII now supplanted by Dynaudio Lyd series.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Weren't we recording organ music?
Indeed.

Quote:
Indeed; same here. The little Pelonis 42 boxes are surprisingly good at this and translate well.

Quote:
The other pair I like is Dynaudio BM5A mkIII now supplanted by Dynaudio Lyd series.
I used to have some BM6 passives for a long time that I liked quite well. If they have the same family sound these new ones could be a great option with less deceitful hi-fi "zing" than the Neumann 120 (as great as they are).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you're not even mixing based on what's coming out of the mains? That's crazy. You're a good sport.

Thanks for the elaboration.
It's a 40+day annual contract with a local private school. Been working with them since the late '90s. Good folks, good kids... they just built their theater on a budget. It works out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

I agree with your strategy, Hudson. Speaker/room interaction on location is so disparate, that I mostly rely on cans for balance, frequency response etc. Once that's nailed down I check stereo and depth on speakers. If there's a soloist and fader riding, I definitely rely on speakers more.

I use a pair of KEF LS50s (passive) on sessions where the control room is big enough to justify the hard-shelled rolling case they travel in. I drive them with a pair of FlyingMole DAD m100 mono amps (no longer available). For concerts/recitals I pair the amps with a pair of vintage NHT SuperZeros. They're tiny, detailed, and have nothing below 200Hz. The NHTs plus the amps fit in a small, carry-on suitcase surrounded by old t-shirts and rags.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Neumann KH120s here. Used Genelec 1031 for years, got tired of 50 lbs/ea in cases. My Neumann rig is under 40lbs for both including the case they live in.

--Ben
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

HD 800 ,so much easier Chaps
Roger
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's a photo of my Equator D5s at work, should it interest some of you...

HB
Attached Thumbnails
lightweight monitors for remote classical-d5s.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Smile

I use the ME-Geithain RL 906 for location work and transport them in the Geithain padded carrying bag.

Attached Thumbnails
lightweight monitors for remote classical-c-rl906-padded-bag-front-view.jpg   lightweight monitors for remote classical-p5220310.jpg   lightweight monitors for remote classical-c-rl906-padded-bag-cable-area.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Usually cans but I sometimes compliment them with mini-monitors. I use a set of AIR652's from Parts Express. Those are 12"x6.5"x7" and weigh 4 lbs. They use the impressive AMT tweeters. I fitted some good crossover parts and they reveal. I use a Adcom GFA535 power amp with them.

Best part is the price, under $60 per pair and sometimes on sale for $45.
Old 2 weeks ago
I've been using Focal CMS 50's for several years now. They are easy to move and help me make good decisions. I tried KH 120A's and Genelecs before settling on these, but neither felt comfortable in the heat of battle. YMMV.

David
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
I've been using Focal CMS 50's for several years now. They are easy to move and help me make good decisions. I tried KH 120A's and Genelecs before settling on these, but neither felt comfortable in the heat of battle. YMMV.

David
David, which Genelecs are you referring to?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich View Post
David, which Genelecs are you referring to?
When I wrote that, I was thinking of the older 103x series, which is no longer in production. Genelec speakers from that series had a degree of top-end sizzle that I just couldn't abide. One of the models that I encountered often in studios also had a rather flabby mid-bass. The newer Genelec offerings probably sound a lot different, but my only experience with those is the 8020's that a friend uses in a 5.1 monitoring rig. My 5.1 rig uses Adam S2-A's, which I much prefer, but they are too expensive and fragile to take on location. Both of us use the Focals when we travel.

I should clarify that I'm not really recommending the little Focals for mixing. I use them to figure out if I've got the mics in the right place and if the stereo imaging is correct. So they aren't really competing with a proper pair of full-range studio monitors, they are competing with headphones... and winning every time!

David
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search