The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

Recording Amateur String Group. Pointers?
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Nut

Recording Amateur String Group. Pointers?

High guys. Looking for some advice, pointers, anything to watch out for that I might not have considered.

I'm doing a short course on composing and arranging for strings, and the pieces are going to be performed by some student string players as an ensemble this weekend. The tutor was just going to record it on a hand-held tascam device, but I expressed my interest in recording it with some of my gear.

Obviously, these are not pro string players so they won't be as consistent or as good at balancing themselves within the group as more seasoned players would be. The group will be comprised of something like 6 cellos, 2 violas, 7 violins (might be 7 cellos/6 violins). Some of the cellos will be playing bass parts, and the violins will be split into 1st and 2nd. The location will be some sort of classroom/small hall. Not particularly long room reverb to be taking into account I don't think.

I have a laptop and a fireface. My mic options for this scenario are:
2x Se Electronics Z3300 (LDCs with Omni/Cardioid/Fig 8 switchable patterns)
2x Oktava MK012s (SDCs with cardioid heads only)
1x Se Electronics SE2200 (LDC Cardioid)

My general plan would be to setup one or two pairs of stereo mics at different positions, but would be interested to hear how others would approach this scenario, or what you've done in the past that has/hasn't worked. I do have other mics, but the ones listed are currently my only condensors. I am not planning on using spot mics unless strongly encouraged to try them.

Cheers.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Amateur, or less than professional performances always present a challenge. We spend a fortune on gear that brings out detail and high resolution. However, the more detail you bring to the production will not result in better or more musical product. Get a good ensemble sound by starting with a main pair further away than usual. Bring them closer until you get a good balance of the different sections then add spots. Try to keep spots away from "less talented" players. Good luck!
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon K View Post
High guys. Looking for some advice, pointers, anything to watch out for that I might not have considered.

I'm doing a short course on composing and arranging for strings, and the pieces are going to be performed by some student string players as an ensemble this weekend. The tutor was just going to record it on a hand-held tascam device, but I expressed my interest in recording it with some of my gear.

Obviously, these are not pro string players so they won't be as consistent or as good at balancing themselves within the group as more seasoned players would be. The group will be comprised of something like 6 cellos, 2 violas, 7 violins (might be 7 cellos/6 violins). Some of the cellos will be playing bass parts, and the violins will be split into 1st and 2nd. The location will be some sort of classroom/small hall. Not particularly long room reverb to be taking into account I don't think.

I have a laptop and a fireface. My mic options for this scenario are:
2x Se Electronics Z3300 (LDCs with Omni/Cardioid/Fig 8 switchable patterns)
2x Oktava MK012s (SDCs with cardioid heads only)
1x Se Electronics SE2200 (LDC Cardioid)

My general plan would be to setup one or two pairs of stereo mics at different positions, but would be interested to hear how others would approach this scenario, or what you've done in the past that has/hasn't worked. I do have other mics, but the ones listed are currently my only condensors. I am not planning on using spot mics unless strongly encouraged to try them.

Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Km7KrKK9g .. might help a little ..

there are lots of videos for this .. a Pair overhead and then spots, or room mics ..

Z3300's for overheads .. MK012's as Spots and then the SE2200 as a room mic ... it is a place to start ...
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Look for a bigger room. You're going to need all the room you can get for the extra distance required without suffering from too much first reflection.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search