The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Leslie Cabinet without windscreen??
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Recording Leslie Cabinet without windscreen??

Hi Folks,
last time I recorded the Leslie Cabinet during a Jazz Trio session with two AKG 460/CK61 without windscreens. I got terrible wind noises and I had a long session with Izotope RX in Post production to remove this rumble.

Tomorrow there is another chance to record a Leslie and I don't like to have it a second time.

In this article I saw they used 2 Sennheiser MD441 for recording the rotating horn without any windscreens.
Q: How do you record a Leslie speaker? |

I would use my Sennheiser MD421 instead. Do I need any windscreens for dynamic mics or is this only problematic with cardioid mics??
I never saw any MD 421 or 441 with wind foams.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I always use windscreens if close-micing a Leslie, unless you do the extreme stereo thing and come in from the corners where the mic would be out of the blast zone (protected by the solid wood panel).

Like you say, you only get one chance.

FYI, the 421 is a cardiod mic. Perhaps you mean condenser?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been working quite a lot with Ross Stanley of late and he uses a very nice Hammond set-up that has had a considerable amount of work done such as silent relay upgrades, etc. With Ross I'm mainly using a Couple of sm57's on the top possibly a condensor on the bottom. When I use condensor on top I often am miking at enough distance to avoid the "wind" noise. I also hate to say it, the 57's can sound brilliant on the top, the condensors can often be wasted.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would further mention that miking slightly above the louvres and pointing at them should negate any noise problem, a quick test will confirm this for you. I also recommend recording at one side and the front (you need to look inside the cab as the rotor is offset and I recommend using the two sides that are the closest to the rotor) other wise recording from opposing sides you get sound, no sound, not the movement across the picture. The 441 is a good choice, as is the sm7 (if you've got them), but I think a 57's are a better fit than 421's which have a more coloured response. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Just shove a popper-stopper in front of it. 460's will do 2 hz, be aware of that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search