The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A mourning chant for the 4-way Phased Array
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

A mourning chant for the 4-way Phased Array

I recorded a top high school choir -- state champions, in fact -- in a fairly dead auditorium and did not want to clutter the stage with mic stands. I set up a 4-way phased array on a single mic stand using Line Audio CM3's (41 cm) and flanking OM1's (67 cm), each pair at 90 degrees to each other, pretty much according to Faulkner's published basic specs. The choir used shells, and the array stood about 12 feet high on stage just behind the conductor.

Recorder and preamps were a Tascam HS-P82. I played with relative levels of each pair and found that parity gave the most pleasing balance (room vs. stereo image) and reach. Post included light noise reduction (RX), LF roll-off (< 100 Hz) to tame occasional rumbles, slight HF boost, and reverb, mostly to compensate for venue shortcomings.

This was my first recording using entirely Line Audio mics. I was fairly pleased for what I captured on a single stand. Curious to know what others think.
Attached Thumbnails
A mourning chant for the 4-way Phased Array-img_1547.jpg   A mourning chant for the 4-way Phased Array-img_1548.jpg  
Attached Files

Trauergesang.mp3 (3.97 MB, 658 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice! And nicely sung too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

sounds great!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search