The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Classical Guitar Two Pres Comparison Condenser Microphones
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Classical Guitar Two Pres Comparison

Hi there,
for my own asssesment I recorded simultaneously an improvisation on classical guitar (well, actually a 7 string flamenca negra) to my Busman moded Tascam DR680, going through two different pres (I'm not going to say which as not to influence your judgement by brand names).

The mics used are two AKG C460B (Jim Williams moded by Gabasa) with CK-61ULS cardiod capsulas, put as close together as possible. The both channels were seperately normalized to -0.9dB and mixed down mono to stereo withe absolutely no processing - nothing.

I'm really curious what you think about the sounds ...

Many thanks for your comments!

Best wishes
Robert

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i6penprwz...NAhUQyTua?dl=0

Last edited by rojaros; 17th July 2017 at 03:20 PM..
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
Curious to hear the comparison, but your link does not seem to work. I suspect the ellipses are shortening what should be a longer string of alphanumeric characters?
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Curious to hear the comparison, but your link does not seem to work. I suspect the ellipses are shortening what should be a longer string of alphanumeric characters?
Sorry for the inconvenience, I have corrected the link and it seems to work now...

Here it is again https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i6penprwz...NAhUQyTua?dl=0
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks for the fix!

My impressions:

Sample 1 has distractingly loud background hiss.

Sample 1 felt thinner and more brittle in an unflattering way.

Sample 1 appeared to contain somewhat less harmonic information.

Sample 1 gave a more one-dimensional rendering of instrumental resonance and sense of space.

I strongly preferred Sample 2 in every way. Nice playing, and thanks for sharing!
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot... hope some more forum members will chime in.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

OK, nothing much is going on anymore, so here it is:

The mics used are AKG C640B (moded by Gabasa according to Jim Williams). They were brought together as close as possible (pointing thesame direction); distance to the guitar top was around 50-60cm, quite above the top (maybe height of my head, pointed down to the top and towards the bridge).

The track 01 was recorded using the inbuilt preamp of the Busman moded Tascam DR680 field recorder (running on its external power supply).

The track 02 was recorded using a Millenia Media HV-32P running on it's external power supply, patched into the line input of the DR680.

For a fair judgment it should be noted that the Millenia Media pre was ore expensive as the whole recording device including the full Busman modification.

Thanks for your participation!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search