The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

New Surround Sound Effort perhaps of interest
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

New Surround Sound Effort perhaps of interest

Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear
Whenever I read of "x00 speakers were employed to realize the effect for the assembled audience" I put it into the 'art music installation' camp.

The intriguing aspect is always how successfully it can be collapsed down and translate to either 2-stereo or 4/5- surround, or 3D/VR headphone listening.

One has to suspend skepticism and applaud each such attempt, as the "next breakthrough" might eventuate from just such bold experiments, which typically involve a marriage of art and physics. You never know where the next innovation might hail from ?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

What I need, truly, is a room where the walls and ceiling are made of loudspeakers. So many speakers, so close together, that they become structural elements (who needs 2x4s?). A million dollars or so in speakers and amplifiers (and HVAC to keep it all cool) will just sound so much better...

It's actually nice and interesting that people do these kinds of experiments. Research doesn't have to be practical.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

I really liked the article which shows that innovative research in this area is going on in America too.

As we know, these research topics all come from the research in Germany where wave-field synthesis and surround playback is a major research topic for many decades already.

Gunter Theil is one of the main researchers in wave-field synthesis.

The Tonmeistertagung 2016 held last November in Cologne showed off many of the topics talked about in the NYT article.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

I'll bet "He slowly fell...." was interesting in the space it was composed for, the downmix is some cool sounds that swish back and forth in a fairly linear manner, not even as good a simulation of 3d audio as the Facebook Spatializer can make. I've attended concerts in various multispeaker venues and feel like works composed for those rooms, that take advantage of what the rooms can do, don't translated well to headphones or stereo speaker setups. I think the real current challenge for all surround media is figuring out how to make the pieces work on headphones and moderate-price home TV systems, not just Atmos-equipped movie theatres and spectacularly expensive bespoke concert halls. I understand this is being worked on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search