The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dual recording Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Dual recording

Hi all,
I'm designing a setup for recording voices in a small room. The setup is "special" in the sense that I cannot afford time for level adjustments or repeat a take due to clipping or low level. Basically a person enters the room, I press record and off it goes. Quality still has to be top-notch. Therefore I thought about splitting the mic signal in two and feeding two (same) preamps with different settings. One "normal" setting and one "backup" setting with -12 dB input gain or so. I'm wondering if it is a good idea and how to do it in practice. The mic is phantom powered so I guess I have to be careful with that.
Any suggestion appreciated!
Old 12th July 2017
Do a quick test with your own voice, let things peak at -15 or -12. In digital 24-bit world, low level should be no problem, you can boost the volume afterwards without any problem. I just recorded two CDs with one-to-a-part voices and baroque instruments, peaks are -18 and -16 for the CDs. Add gain, and the silence stays around -60dB. No problem at all.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Hi apotheosis,
Thanks for sharing, i must add that I will be dealing with high dynamic range, from whispering to shouting, so in that scenario mic gain should be pretty low. Ideally I'd like to have at least one take I can use directly with fader riding...
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Compressor/limiter before the recorder? MTCW
Old 12th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Your solution seems perfectly reasonable to me. The other option might be just to use two mics.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Splitting the mic into 2 preamps will work fine. Just get a decent splitter like this: Radial JS2/JS3™ - Mic Splitter

And then only feed the mic phantom from one of the preamps - the one connected to the "direct" output of the splitter, not the "isolated" output.

-Mike
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you celtic! good advice
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Nut

Here is another suggestion...

The Pueblo JR-Series mic pres have two buffered outputs: Main & Aux. The Aux Outs levels are -6dB lower than the Main. ADR mixers have been taking advantage of this gain structure to solve the very topic of this thread. If the Main track clips then they just transplant the piece from the tandem Aux track.

This minimalist method produces hi-fidelity results. It also negates the need for two mic pres + a mic splitter. While some splitters sound ok, using no splitter always sounds better.
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Maniac

If that job is a one timer, why not rent some gear? I know this rental house in Barcelona for assistance on Spanish (sorry, I mean Catalan) jobs:
Equips – Lloguer Audiovisual
They have Zoom & Sound Devices on their equipment list. Both Zoom F8 & H6 recorders can do a second, lower level safety track.
Microphone choice: a lav or super-cardioid will do fine. With this shouting in a small room, you might wanna do some quick room treatment.
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi all,
I'm designing a setup for recording voices in a small room. The setup is "special" in the sense that I cannot afford time for level adjustments or repeat a take due to clipping or low level. Basically a person enters the room, I press record and off it goes. Quality still has to be top-notch. Therefore I thought about splitting the mic signal in two and feeding two (same) preamps with different settings. One "normal" setting and one "backup" setting with -12 dB input gain or so. I'm wondering if it is a good idea and how to do it in practice. The mic is phantom powered so I guess I have to be careful with that.
Any suggestion appreciated!
Just use a passive split y cable. -12db gain as against standard gain will give you plenty of headroom. As an example, 29db of gain is usually pretty much good for a 58, 17db would be difficult to hit a limit unless they are screeching. Do a quick test with a couple of volunteers and you should find your upper limit.
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Nut

Missed Scott's post, mine was redundant.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 19th July 2017 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Missed Scott's post, mine was redundant
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, thank you all for your suggestions, this will be a fixed setup, so renting is out of question. I think I'll go with the radial splitter. Those pueblo pres seem killer, but for the moment I already have a dual preamp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search