The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic for classical recording?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Logic for classical recording?

Greetings.

Are any of you using Apple Logic Pro for classical tracking? If not, may I ask which DAW is more commonly used for laptop-based classical sessions?

TIA,
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron_9 View Post
...may I ask which DAW is more commonly used for laptop-based classical sessions?
The big three DAWs for classical seem to be Pyramix, Sequoia / Samplitude, and SADiE.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Editing audio in Logic is like bashing your head against a wall.

But as a bit bucket for RECORDING only, go for it—it's cheap, it doesn't require a dongle, and it's lighter on system resources than Pro Tools.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
The big three DAWs for classical seem to be Pyramix, Sequoia / Samplitude, and SADiE.
What the reasons ProTools is not in this selection?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

To Joram:

I work with Samplitude and I only record classical music.
A friend of mine works with Protools. Sometime I hire him to work with me when I have big setups to record.

Of course everyone his own workflow...
He is always impressed regarding how it is easy to manage several windows working with Samplitude.
For example, you can have on different screens one session with all your takes and another session with your editing on the same time.
Then you can choose in your "take sessions" file (or window) the take you need and grab or copy this take in your editing window.
Don't know if I'm clear... Maybe a picture is better to understand:

in this screen, the upper window is the take session and under is the editing window.

Regards, Fred

Edit: But I think Samplitude is only available for Windows...

Last edited by fred2bern; 2 weeks ago at 09:06 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
Editing audio in Logic is like bashing your head against a wall.

But as a bit bucket for RECORDING only, go for it—it's cheap, it doesn't require a dongle, and it's lighter on system resources than Pro Tools.
+1

For pure recording every DAW that can handle your track count and runs stable is fine (aside from image).
It's the editing where the program makes the difference.

Let me recommend you to check out REAPER, too. It's very slick if you can get used to it. The editing can be even quicker than with Pro tools. You can open multiple sessions and copy and paste between them which puts it ahead of pro tools for me.
Pro Tools is fine, too. In a way it's simpler and clearer than REAPER.
Logic really is too clunky for the editing part, compared to these 2.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It does not really matter what you use.

Editing on a Laptop is going to be tedious regardless of what software you use (if you are young and your eyes are good, you might fare better than I)

Use what you are comfortable with, and what you can afford, no modern DAW is going to be the limiting factor, and every other decision you make is going to impact the final product more than your choice of capture software. Whatever software you end up choosing, take the time to learn it and become proficient at using which is what matters most in the long run.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I edit in Logic Waveburner ,its excellent for me ,but I am a hairshirt simpleton as any fule knowe
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joram View Post
Because the ones I mentioned are optimized for the classical recording workflow. ProTools is optimized for the modern studio recording workflow (and works equally well for sound design and audio post for video and movies).

Different workflows, different DAWs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like Pyramix for it's flexibility of workflow, the 4 point cross fade editor, the quality of the native plug ins, and the sound! IMHO, PT has an "edge" to the sound which works well for jazz and post-production/voice-over work but does bode well for classical. Reaper is super stable for field use, and I'm sure would work well for CD work as well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joram View Post
The reason PT is no good for classical is because the editor is poor. It cannot accomplish a complex edit. It's crossfade window is set up as if one only edits on a drum hit.

Compare to Sequoia or SADiE.

The difference is startling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fore pure acquisition, ie no editing etc, I like Boom Recorder. BR is simple, cheap (but Mac only), will run on quite old Macs if you want it to, has a very responsive and helpful programmer and will also deal with such non-musical mundaneries as sound reports, timecode etc easily. It's kind of the go-to Mac multitrack recording app in the motion picture location sound world, because of all these factors. VOSGAMES - Boom Recorder For a DAW that can setup fast and cheap (on PC or Mac) and do on-location overdubs and editing, esp quickie stuff, Reaper is hard to beat.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, everyone. My original question was about classical tracking, not mixing or editing. But I am enjoying the responses and your info; thank you!

Regards,
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 point edit is the key here, why change program middle of a project.
The sound quality as such will be the same...

Matti
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search