The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Improving a compact binaural setup for mobile recordings
Old 1st July 2017
Here for the gear

Improving a compact binaural setup for mobile recordings

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a "semi-binaural" setup for some field recordings and would like to share my present progress. I would be glad if you had some ideas how to improve the rig and provide it some more immersion

My gear consists of two Primo EM172 capsules connected via XLR (P24 pulled down to ~10V) to a Tascam DR-60D recorder. The capsules are placed right at the canal entrance of two silicon ears. Both ears are attached to a small plastic base (just an old mic case I had laying around) via some elastic bands.
I have attached a picture below. Nothing too exciting, but does the job for the moment.

The reason I initially called this construction "semi-binaural" was that I do not use a head model as a base which evidently spoils the HRTF.
However, I am wondering whether you have some experiences with (semi-)binaural setups that are build for a mobile and rather compact purpose.
The goal is to capture as immersive as possible (not necessarily scientificly accurate) ambient sounds with a construction that is - how should I express it - not making me look like I'm coming from another dimension

I know that utilizing a head model is essential for retaining the physical propertiers that ensure a lifelike sound. Nevertheless, there are a lot of builds that consist of a minimalistic base that appears to only fulfil a static role (e.g. 3Dio) and still sound pretty immersive (at least to my ears).

Are there any experiences with DIY solutions of such kind?

Some ideas I had so far:

1.) Adding some plates right behind both ears to improve (at least) the frontal plane. Just like a duo jecklin disc.

2.) Adding ear canals.
I have already ordered some 7mm/10mm (inner/outer diameter) plastic tube and wanted to give it a try. However, this technique appears to be treated kinda controversially since it potentially doubles the sound path and requires havier EQ in post processing.

3.) Using a black cylindric base to connect both ears with a distance of maybe 20cm. The inside would be filled with absorbing material such as foam or even mineral wool. Compared to a fullsized head this construction wouldn't be that bulky and could possibly be carried around more inconspicuously. The (skin-colored) ears themselves could be cloaked by some black "dead cat" fur or foam.

4.) Maybe sticking the whole thing to the backside of my backpack instead of carrying it around in the hand for mobile use.
But I'm generally curious about the impact of my body plus the backpack (which obviously form acoustically resistances) on the spatial perception.

Any impressions on those subjects?
I would be delighted if you could give some tips and help me improving the setup

By the way, here are two initial test recordings I made with the structure shown in the picture below:

Best Regards,
Pepi
Attached Thumbnails
Improving a compact binaural setup for mobile recordings-prototyp1.jpg  
Attached Files

take1.mp3 (1.62 MB, 477 views)

take2.mp3 (1.10 MB, 465 views)

Old 11th July 2017
Here for the gear

No impressions? :'(
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search