The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best. Mic. Ever.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Best. Mic. Ever.

Okay then, I have owned DPA 4011, 4006, 4091, 4061, Neumann km140, km184, Gefell M300, Sennheiser mkh40, mkh20, Schoeps cmc62, cmc64, AEA R84, Royer r-121, SF12, Coles 4038, and a large number of other condenser and ribbon mics, trying to find the best spot mic for woodwind and string instruments.

I may have finally found what I have been looking for. I just bought an AEA Nuvo N8 active ribbon, and tried it today on a flute solo in conjunction with my normal ORTF pair of cmc64s. From the first listen, it is clear this is a special mic. Even in mono, compared to the stereo Schoeps, it comes across as extremely smooth and balanced, clean across the upper frequencies without any strain and none of the edge that condensers give with the upper register on the flute.

This may be the single best mic I have ever used. I will post some samples soon, comparing it to the Schoeps mk2 and mk4.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Gear Addict
 

That is High Praise Indeed

Dear JNorman,

Much appreciate your comments and feeling of Wow! that your message so beautifully captures. It is obvious that we live in a second golden age of ribbon microphones with so many high quality choices.

I had a similar experience when I first heard the Samar MF-65 about 3 years ago, it felt just so right and special; And, while I still put up a Schoeps pair up at every session, the ribbon recording almost always comes out ahead. I have also compared it to a bunch of high end condenser mics (many on your list and the Sanken CU-44, which isn't on yours) but these ribbons with their extended high end and natural tone just sound so much better.

Enjoy your N8, and I really do look forward to your samples.

Warm regards
Baithak
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
Jim, the search is over! You must be very happy but I bet there are some mic dealers who are not.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Jim, the search is over! You must be very happy but I bet there are some mic dealers who are not.
Sounds like the audio equivalent of locking eyes with a stunning beauty from across the crowded room...all sorts of imagined possibilities blossom in the heat of infatuation. I think Jim's still in the starry-eyed romance phase...lets give it a few more outings (dates) in the field to test the long term compatibility factor ! The head vs the untamed heart
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

No doubt it's a good mic! It's the newness of hearing a slightly different frequency response and character which make a new mic seem the best.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Love and Microphones, can both make for 'fickle friends'
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
No doubt it's a good mic! It's the newness of hearing a slightly different frequency response and character which make a new mic seem the best.
Or a new pair of speakers...or headphones...or cables (if you're an 'audiophile')
Change or difference can elicit this....and it's probably the primary motive behind relationship affairs as well (difference = better) ! This course dignifies Schoeps CMC mics as the Juliette Binoche/Emmanuelle Beart/Catherine Deneuve of the microphone world.....
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
...trying to find the best spot mic for woodwind and string instruments.

I may have finally found what I have been looking for. I just bought an AEA Nuvo N8 active ribbon, and tried it today on a flute solo in conjunction with my normal ORTF pair of cmc64s. From the first listen, it is clear this is a special mic. Even in mono, compared to the stereo Schoeps, it comes across as extremely smooth and balanced, clean across the upper frequencies without any strain and none of the edge that condensers give with the upper register on the flute.
Interesting. The N8 rolls off the high end fairly aggressively; SOS says -6dB/octave above about 5kHz. So, it's really rolling off the overtone series. And it appears to start rolling off the bottom end at 200 Hz or maybe a bit above. Which doesn't matter a bit for flute probably, but might for cello and some of the lower woodwinds.

If that kind of roll off is what you need, then it's no surprise at all that you prefer this to mics that are flatter, from the venerable Schoeps omnis all the way to the Coles 4038 ribbons.

Good on ya for your persistence. Just goes to show that the solutions are out there if you'll just keep looking for them. Enjoy, and I look forward to some samples and comparisons. And it will be interesting to hear how well the N8s do as spots for other instruments like woodwinds and strings.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
hughesmr's Avatar
I have some N8s on my wish list. Mainly choir spots behind orchestra when I need the isolation, and also for solo spot duty (violin, flute, female vox, etc). Congrats on the find!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
I had a couple N8s...that were stolen. grudge. They are very good mics. Just a classic ribbon sound similar to the 44. Smooth and warm without sounding muddy. I have several recordings of them in blumlein on different ensembles of every imaginable instrument family. If anyone is interested I could create a N8 only mix of a few things.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Addict
N8 is one of my most used mics these days, along with the N22 and R88. Lovely-sounding mics and being active, they're convenient with portable recorders when you're running on battery power only.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Nut
 
Uncle Russ's Avatar
Another ribbon mic, one you might consider comparable, is the Royer SF-2 or the stereo version SF-24. Both use phantom power. The better model ribbon mics from both manufacturers are simply superb (and the two companies are only about 20 minutes apart).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

My new fav is the TLM170.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Schoeps MK 2 or Coles 4038.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Plush - I will post a head to head clip of the N8 vs the Schoeps mk2 soon.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Was the Schoeps doing all the heavy lifting?
Some of it no doubt. This seems to be a growing trend in these high end vocal recordings, an additional centre mic slightly forward of the usual shoulder spaced pair. Mini tree sort of thing. A slight precedence effect might be favourable.

But there were quite a few TLM170's in the orch as well. Someone at Decca has a lot of these mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
Tomdavids's Avatar
 

Best. Take. Ever.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Was the Schoeps doing all the heavy lifting?
Her voice is doing the heavy lifting.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
Tomdavids's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Okay then, I have owned DPA 4011, 4006, 4091, 4061, Neumann km140, km184, Gefell M300, Sennheiser mkh40, mkh20, Schoeps cmc62, cmc64, AEA R84, Royer r-121, SF12, Coles 4038, and a large number of other condenser and ribbon mics, trying to find the best spot mic for woodwind and string instruments.

I may have finally found what I have been looking for. I just bought an AEA Nuvo N8 active ribbon, and tried it today on a flute solo in conjunction with my normal ORTF pair of cmc64s. From the first listen, it is clear this is a special mic. Even in mono, compared to the stereo Schoeps, it comes across as extremely smooth and balanced, clean across the upper frequencies without any strain and none of the edge that condensers give with the upper register on the flute.

This may be the single best mic I have ever used. I will post some samples soon, comparing it to the Schoeps mk2 and mk4.
i bet i could fool you in an a/b shootout with another mic...

making you question your whole life up to this point.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
"making you question your whole life up to this point"...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Her voice is doing the heavy lifting.
beautiful lady, sublime voice
Old 3 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdavids View Post
...making you question your whole life up to this point.
Again?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 


Last edited by David Spearritt; 2 weeks ago at 12:36 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
She is a Tatar Princess, just like my wife.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump