The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Can Behringer X32 link pre-amps?
Old 27th June 2017
Here for the gear

Can Behringer X32 link pre-amps?

Hello all,
I'm working on an X32 for a reality show and the dynamic range needed on contribs as they go from whisper to shout is random and infuriating. I'm doing a mix and recording the DI's on a PIX970 via Dante but need to keep those ISOs from blowing out.
There is a often some warning as to what might make them all shout but then doing 18 channels in quick succession is slow task for the reaction time needed.

Is there a way to control the relative levels of a selection of pre-amps all at once on the X32?

I'd be most grateful to learn.

Julian

Last edited by Fuzzy Green; 27th June 2017 at 06:19 PM..
Old 27th June 2017
Not quickly. Even if you ship OSC commands they take time to be interpreted. Of course, you couldn't do this on an analog board either without a bunch of people.

So... I suggest using the dynamics features of the board - first set the preamp gain so that shouts don't distort at max input, then use the dynamics to increase the level of softer sections and limit the peaks. If you need to take the dante feed to your DAW post-dynamics, do so.
Old 28th June 2017
Super Moderator

Consider splitting the mics into two different channels for each mic and set one input for the soft stuff and the other for the loud parts. If you got the show down, you could sub mix the loud and soft channels together and mute them accordingly. You would basically just need to mute the soft vocal when they're shouting.

Are you using a PIX270I or a 970? There is no such thing as a PIX970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Green View Post

Hello all,
I'm working on an X32 for a reality show and the dynamic range needed on contribs as they go from whisper to shout is random and infuriating. I'm doing a mix and recording the DI's on a PIX970 via Dante but need to keep those ISOs from blowing out.
There is a often some warning as to what might make them all shout but then doing 18 channels in quick succession is slow task for the reaction time needed.

Is there a way to control the relative levels of a selection of pre-amps all at once on the X32?

I'd be most grateful to learn.

Julian
Old 7th July 2017
Perhaps put something like a Sound Devices 442 in front to use its limiters?!
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Green View Post

My first thought is to see if implementing a snippet that lowers the input gain on the 18-channel group of concern might work.

If you're on the right screen, and get enough warning, you may have a shot.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

You might want to check on the schematic of the console--see if internal limiting is done before or after the A>D. Almost all cheap mixers have it after, which means you don't have any protection on the inputs except to turn them down. The quick solution, as Mr Steve says is to clone your input channels with the clone having a far lower gain, and print them all. But since you have so many channels of talent vox in your mix--aren't they all on wireless? So the usual solution to your problem (which is pretty common, right?) is to manage the limiters and gains of the wireless TX so they don't clip (even if that lowers your SN) then make up the diff in the board. How important to the show is your live mix, like is the show broadcast live? Or are the isos really more important ultimately? If the latter then the whole deal is going to be edited and remixed anyhow so just concentrate on getting clean unclipped isos by being as conservative as you need to be to make it work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search