The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I Was Robbed!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I Was Robbed!!

Hello friends. Some of you know, but for everyone else, the unthinkable has happened to me. On Saturday morning, someone broke into my car and stole just about every piece of recording equipment I own. About $27,000 worth.

If you happen to come across anything on Craigslist or Ebay, etc. Please contact me. Thanks for any help.

Here is a list, and some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
I Was Robbed!!-aea-n8.jpg   I Was Robbed!!-cmc622.jpg   I Was Robbed!!-equipment-list.png   I Was Robbed!!-microphone-case.jpg   I Was Robbed!!-mkh-8040.jpg  

I Was Robbed!!-rme-ufx-xtc.jpg   I Was Robbed!!-tlm-107.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Hello friends. Some of you know, but for everyone else, the unthinkable has happened to me. On Saturday morning, someone broke into my car and stole just about every piece of recording equipment I own. About $27,000 worth.

If you happen to come across anything on Craigslist or Ebay, etc. Please contact me. Thanks for any help.

Here is a list, and some pictures:
So sorry to hear about this. I hope the equipment was insured and turns up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also put a police report out. These are passed on to pawn shops, so they have a list of recent stolen equipment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks

Police report is filed. Most all of it was insured except for my headphones, cases, stands, shockmounts, etc. They did not steal my mic stands or cables.

The DAV was in the car as well, but they decided not to take it. They just grabbed all the cases.

I just bought the N8's and Laptop a couple months ago.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

So sorry to hear of this; truly a nightmare. Good luck in sorting. May it go smoothly for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The good news is that you are insured and filed a police report. And you were not hurt in the crime. It is an awful thing to have happen and you must, well we know you do, feel awful about it. I am sorry for what it has done to you but grateful it was not a lot worse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am sorry as well, and this shouldn't come across as anything other than an observation; not shaming or anything like that, since you didn't explain the details of the situation. But there is a lesson for all of us who sometimes think that it won't happen to us. If we let our guard down for a second, even the loss of one briefcase sized case could be financially devastating. Keep your shiz safe all.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That's a terrible thing to have happen to you, it's something we all fear.

I hope the police will be successful in investigation and recovery, and that it's all kept in one place by the thieves. That you have serial numbers for many items will be very helpful too, and thankfully the car itself wasn't stolen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Daniel: very sorry to hear this news. The loss of ones favorite tools is a blow, but fortunately the vessel of knowledge and creativity is alive and well. I hope you recover quickly from this setback.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had my van broken into in a parking garage. No recording equipment was in the van but they broke the driver's window and stole my cell phone and GPS. They broke in using a "spark plug" to break the window. I was devastated not so much for the equipment and the damage to the van but because I felt my personal safe space was violated. The equipment got replaced, the window also got replaced and I vowed never to leave anything in my van again not matter how inexpensive.

We did have an attempted break in while my car was parked in a parking lot while I was doing the Cleveland Opera. The equipment was all in the venue but I had a large carrying case full of extra mic cables and a snake in the back of the van and I guess the thief thought I was carrying something expensive since it was in a flight case. The parking attendant saw someone lurking around my van and called the venue security before he could break in.

I cannot imaging loosing all my gear in one break-in. Really sorry to hear of your loss.

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 3 weeks ago at 11:56 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This is sad news, and I am glad insurance has you covered (for the most part). I've been meaning to update my gear list and double-check with my insurance company to be sure I am adequately covered.

Are there some sort of GPS tracking devices which can be placed in cases? Kind of like services which can roughly track MacBooks or iPhones?

EDIT: This may be covered in other posts, but I did run across GPS trackers such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/Micro-GL300W-...=tiny+spot+gps

The downside is the ones I've found all have monthly fees in the neighborhood of $20. Still, for guys that do a whole lot of remote work a few hundred bucks a year is not bad, and maybe the insurance company would shave a bit of premium if these are used.

Last edited by Swing; 4 weeks ago at 12:54 PM.. Reason: add gps tracker
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Daniel, very sorry to hear this news. Will keep an eye out if things stray down under.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Very sorry to read this...I wish that soon you will forget about it, more than the financial lost it's often that strange feeling going with...sending you good luck !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What a painful loss! Some that we can all sympathize with as we know how much love and effort goes into the collection of the right gear. I hope you'll get it back soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Most all of it was insured
Sorry this has happened, a real bummer.

Tell us more about how you insured your gear --maybe this has been covered before, but I am curious what avenues there are for insuring our gear?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The sad thing is many times for gear like this there is already a buyer in another country. Never shows up in many of the traditional sources here in this country.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have been using MusicPro insurance, a broker that uses Hannover Insurance as their carrier. This is my first claim with them, so I guess this will be the ultimate test of their reliability. So far I am a bit worried. I called Hannover immediately as MusicPro instructed, but they could not pull up any of my information. They did go ahead and take the information and give me a claim number, however. I am going to call MusicPro today since they were closed on the weekend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It may not be a bad idea to obtain a written statement from any people who may have been involved with you or otherwise seen you before and after you loaded the car. And be careful in communicating with the insurance company. By careful I mean be direct and succinct, while always being truthful, and letting them know you are losing income in the absence of your gear.

This is a very painful situation, and unfortunately you are further burdened to maintain vigilance while collecting on the claim and otherwise trying to recover your gear.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So sorry this happened to you, Daniel.

One thing to be thankful for is that you were not there when it happened, so you were not personally in danger. So, technically, you were burgled, not robbed.

If you face a hassle from the insurance company, there are things you can do to rattle their cage a bit and get them to treat you better. Send me a pm if that happens, and I will help you find the right type of lawyer. You are in San Diego, right? I don't practice law in California (I used to, but moved away years ago), but this is the type of stuff I do, so I can find someone to help you, if you need that sort of help.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, the insurance came through. I should be able to replace my gear soon....with some updated security measures of course. So that is good news.

Still....

Isn't the ownership of your equipment a very personal thing? It is more than owning a tool, especially if you work tireless, 15 hour days, dreaming of owning the equipment you can be proud of. And when you finally are able to purchase your equipment little by little, they are each symbols of accomplishment, of hard work, of pride and sacrifice. Everything I owned had a story and was special to me. To think some twits, who didn't earn the right to look at my gear much less posses it, simply walked off with 12 years of my life's accomplishments and now have what is probably the highest quality microphone collection in the city makes me want to vomit with rage. Partially because of the personal loss, partially because I view their possession of this equipment as a sacrilege toward all of us.

The new equipment, while filling me with earnest gratitude and relief, is not the equipment I earned, it is the equipment to replace the equipment I earned. So this isn't over for me, not by a long shot.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A terrible experience to have to go through. Glad to hear that the gear will be replaced through the insurance company.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
eBay, being the massive conglomerate that it is...and thus tagging along behind it most likely the biggest clearing house/laundering zone for stolen goods...wouldn't it be great if they had a facility for logging in with the serial numbers of stolen items ?

If new listings had to run through this filter, eventually word would get out that it's more of a hurdle than it's worth to the sellers. Would this stop thefts...probably not, but it would put a speed bump in their way.
Maybe eBay do this already, if so, kudos to them.

There was a forum in GS that facilitated such logging as well...was it Marketplace ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, now you know why you have been paying those insurance premiums for so long. You get your gear back. Yes, you still feel insulted and assaulted and you miss the old friends for sure. But I bet you miss them less now that you know they will be replaced.

Good luck with your new set of tools.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, the insurance came through. I should be able to replace my gear soon....with some updated security measures of course. So that is good news.

Still....

Isn't the ownership of your equipment a very personal thing? It is more than owning a tool, especially if you work tireless, 15 hour days, dreaming of owning the equipment you can be proud of. And when you finally are able to purchase your equipment little by little, they are each symbols of accomplishment, of hard work, of pride and sacrifice. Everything I owned had a story and was special to me. To think some twits, who didn't earn the right to look at my gear much less posses it, simply walked off with 12 years of my life's accomplishments and now have what is probably the highest quality microphone collection in the city makes me want to vomit with rage. Partially because of the personal loss, partially because I view their possession of this equipment as a sacrilege toward all of us.

The new equipment, while filling me with earnest gratitude and relief, is not the equipment I earned, it is the equipment to replace the equipment I earned. So this isn't over for me, not by a long shot.
Yes, the experience is very upsetting and can be similar to being a victim of physical assault. But at least it looks like you'll be getting back on track soon. If so, this is a pretty decent turnaround time for an insurance company.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Still....

I am glad the insurance company paid so quickly. Getting robbed or assaulted is never a good thing and no matter how much anyone says it does not bother them in the back of their minds will be the thought that this might happen again. I know in my case with my van getting broken into it is an ongoing concern that is always in the back of my mind when I park the van.

The act violates your personal space and sense of security.

Again glad you are on your way to replacing your equipment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm curious if you had some sort of identification, tagging, or business marking on the van, that clued them in to the contents?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
I'm curious if you had some sort of identification, tagging, or business marking on the van, that clued them in to the contents?
If it's acceptable to add a small diversion to this thread, for those of us who don't use a van but a car instead...what precautions do folks here recommend ?

Obviously leaving tell-tale items like mic stands on the floor of the rear seat area is inviting trouble, so the trunk (boot) is the obvious, indeed only, solution.

Depending on the make of car, some allow key locking of the trunk...so that even with break-in to the cabin, the trunk-lid lift lever is disabled. That was the case with my older Toyota, but not my present one...a step backwards for these purposes.

For those who recall the opening scenes of 'Easy Rider', with Peter Fonda hiding his cash stash in the gas tank of his Harley...not recommended for mics !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If it's acceptable to add a small diversion to this thread, for those of us who don't use a van but a car instead...what precautions do folks here recommend ?

Obviously leaving tell-tale items like mic stands on the floor of the rear seat area is inviting trouble, so the trunk (boot) is the obvious, indeed only, solution.

Depending on the make of car, some allow key locking of the trunk...so that even with break-in to the cabin, the trunk-lid lift lever is disabled. That was the case with my older Toyota, but not my present one...a step backwards for these purposes.

For those who recall the opening scenes of 'Easy Rider', with Peter Fonda hiding his cash stash in the gas tank of his Harley...not recommended for mics !
In a post above I linked to a gps tracking device similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Porta...5CXE313BJ158MD

These devices require a monthly fee. But maybe an insurance company would offset a part of the premium, and maybe the monthly fee is for one account which could apply to more than one device.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The pawn shop probably has your gear. Get a police detective to help you identify which pawn shop is near where the incident happened. Then accompany the detective there and ask them to produce the recording gear. It will be in the back room. Make the detective take you there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Im glad the insurance came thru. Being robbed stinks.

About amonth ago i started catologing all of my gear (with serial numbers) so that i could update my insurance. This is a reminder for me to get this finished
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search