The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I Was Robbed!! Headphone Amps
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Addict
Horrid experience, hope you find some of your original gear.

What happens if it arrives back at your door in the future? Do you get to keep all the replaced gear as well?

Also, when you take an inventory and valuations for insurance purposes, is the value brand new replacement cost? Or re-sellable value?
Old 3rd July 2017
Lives for gear

The answers to all of those questions are normally in the body of the insurance policy. Some of us could guess as to what is customary in such insurance policies, but policies vary, so the only right answer is to look at the insurance policy in question.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
Horrid experience, hope you find some of your original gear.

What happens if it arrives back at your door in the future? Do you get to keep all the replaced gear as well?

Also, when you take an inventory and valuations for insurance purposes, is the value brand new replacement cost? Or re-sellable value?

The insurance company is essentially buying the equipment. That means they own it if it is recovered. Imagine the amount of potential fraud if people thought they could double their gear by faking an insurance claim. They will give you the option to buy it back of course at the amount they paid out to replace it.

Your premium is dependent on how much you claim your equipment is worth. Your payout will be whatever they determine it will cost to replace your equipment, or the maximum of your claimed value, whatever is less. They use a 3rd party auditor to research your gear and determine a replacement cost. So it is better to over estimate the replacement cost as long as it does not increase your premium. The auditor I discovered was rather accurate, as was I.
Old 31st July 2017
Thumbs down

So sorry to read this. The thieves definitely don't know what they have or how to get rid of it. Such a shame
Old 7th August 2017
Gear Maniac

So very sorry to hear of this.
I'm in town, can you mention where the break-in occurred?
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Had a cross bike and trailer stolen out of my garage a number of years ago. Made a claim and was paid by the insurance company (had a low deductible). Bought a new bike and trailer. Four weeks later the police dropped me a note that my bike and trailer had been recovered. I picked them up and called The insurance company. Told them that they owned a bike and trailer. After a lengthy pause, they said they would get back to me. Two weeks later I called again. Same response. They never got back to me and I Still own two identical bikes and trailers. I'm not sure they really know what to do with stuff that gets recovered. Maybe you will get lucky.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku View Post
Had a cross bike and trailer stolen out of my garage a number of years ago. Made a claim and was paid by the insurance company (had a low deductible). Bought a new bike and trailer. Four weeks later the police dropped me a note that my bike and trailer had been recovered. I picked them up and called The insurance company. Told them that they owned a bike and trailer. After a lengthy pause, they said they would get back to me. Two weeks later I called again. Same response. They never got back to me and I Still own two identical bikes and trailers. I'm not sure they really know what to do with stuff that gets recovered. Maybe you will get lucky.
That's rare... For high end stuff they gobble up recovered property quickly
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't the ownership of your equipment a very personal thing?
Oh yes. I'm retired now but would I part with my beloved gear? No way. My main pair of mics has been with me since 1985. Rather longer than my wife (and I wouldn't part with her either!).

Sorry to hear about your loss!

I can recall a couple of times my car was broken into - once outside my home, they rummaged all through the 30 or so cassettes in the glove compartment (remember cassettes?!) and didn't take any of them. So much for my taste in music. Second time, in Amsterdam, I took all my recording gear out and into the hotel. The guy on the desk said "did you remove your car radio from your vehicle?" "No, it's fixed" "Ah, it will be gone by the morning". And it was.

Last edited by Ozpeter; 8th August 2017 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

No belittling your loss, but if I had to leave any small valuables in a vehicle I'd consider installing a gun safe in the trunk or cargo compartment.
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
The guy on the desk said "did you remove your car radio from your vehicle?" "No, it's fixed" "Ah, it will be gone by the morning". And it was.
The good old days when "stealing music" was hard work.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

I will say that I have benefited from this thread in a way. I just got done shooting digital photos of all my mics, along with full "case" shots and close ups of all the serial numbers. Add to this, a detailed list of everything in each case, all in a folder in my Dropbox.

Expensive rack gear is next. At least I will have proof that I actually owned the gear that I claim as stolen. Maybe some help in some small way. Keeping it safe is a better option, but just in case. . .

D.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I will say that I have benefited from this thread in a way. I just got done shooting digital photos of all my mics, along with full "case" shots and close ups of all the serial numbers. Add to this, a detailed list of everything in each case, all in a folder in my Dropbox.

Expensive rack gear is next. At least I will have proof that I actually owned the gear that I claim as stolen. Maybe some help in some small way. Keeping it safe is a better option, but just in case. . .

D.
I just started cataloging my gear too. Lisinting all equipment and serial numbers. Didnt think abt taking pics, but its probably a good idea.

Tom
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
I just started cataloging my gear too. Lisinting all equipment and serial numbers. Didnt think abt taking pics, but its probably a good idea.

Tom
I didn't know you could get insurance without doing so. The listing and serial numbers, at least.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

In Lorain, Ohio I got my cell phone and my GPS unit stolen out of my car that was parked in a multi-level garage. The thief did $300 worth of damage to my car. Of course I have a $500 deductible. They never caught the thief. When I talked to the Lorain Police they told me that they had over 200 GPSs stolen that month alone. They later told me they never recovered any of them. They assume they went out of state or out of the country, probably Mexico. I don't leave ANYTHING in my car anymore when doing a remote. A good friend got his hood ornament stolen off his Mercedes, they just broke it off. Probably on someone's necklace . Over $100 to replace it. Another friend came back from a remote to his car to find the back of his car resting on the brake drums the thief had stolen his two new back tires. No matter what you do someone will figure out a way to steal something if they want it badly enough. I had lug nut locks on all my wheels on my previous car but it was a pain if I had to get my car repaired. Someone stole my FM antenna off my car in the same parking garage where I lost my GPS and Cell Phone. The parking lot was at my Doctor's office and was the only parking available. Go figure...
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Of course I have a $500 deductible.
That's why we're all driving around with $499 worth of dings and scrapes.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

I have insurance through Joe Montarello's Recording Studio Insurance program. It insures everything everywhere any time. Specify the level of insurance you need (usually over $100,000) and you're insured. No pictures or serial numbers needed.

Iron clad insurance. Also insures data loss, loss of dongles, fire, flood.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
In Lorain, Ohio I got my cell phone and my GPS unit stolen out of my car that was parked in a multi-level garage. The thief did $300 worth of damage to my car. Of course I have a $500 deductible. They never caught the thief. When I talked to the Lorain Police they told me that they had over 200 GPSs stolen that month alone. They later told me they never recovered any of them. They assume they went out of state or out of the country, probably Mexico. I don't leave ANYTHING in my car anymore when doing a remote. A good friend got his hood ornament stolen off his Mercedes, they just broke it off. Probably on someone's necklace . Over $100 to replace it. Another friend came back from a remote to his car to find the back of his car resting on the brake drums the thief had stolen his two new back tires. No matter what you do someone will figure out a way to steal something if they want it badly enough. I had lug nut locks on all my wheels on my previous car but it was a pain if I had to get my car repaired. Someone stole my FM antenna off my car in the same parking garage where I lost my GPS and Cell Phone. The parking lot was at my Doctor's office and was the only parking available. Go figure...
Taxi, Uber, Lyft...???
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search