The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ZOOM F8 Preamps & Ribbon Mics
Old 25th June 2017
Gear Head

ZOOM F8 Preamps & Ribbon Mics

Hi Folks,
I plan to use a Zoom F8 for a Live Music Recording.

Especially for horns and piano I usually take my passive Ribbon Mics (NoHype LRM-2 and SE Voodoo V1).

I heard that the Zoom F8 is built with really good Mic Pramps (usually for quiet sources in Field recording).

So what do you mean? Is it better to record the session with some further Mic Preamps (For example Triton Fethead for Ribbons) or just with the internal Zoom preamps?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Ribbon with F8

I own 2 x F-8 recorders, and link them all the time for 16 track recording.
Use passive Royer ribbons all the time with these units.

No problem at all, and noise hasn't been a issue, at least with the sessions I've done.
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Ricola - in my experience I have found passive ribbons can be quite noisy with normal preamps. I tried fetheads and did not enjoy them, but the new Crimson Audio Mogaines seems to be very quiet and an excellent solution for remote work with passive ribbon mics. (Disclaimer- I happen to have a two-channel Mogaines unit for sale. Brand new in box, which I picked up for a Royer sf12 that turned out to be defective and now I have no use for the new Mogaines unit. It is listed in the GS classifieds if you are interested.)
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Funny enough,
The last recording I did with the F8's was using a Royer SF-12 on acoustic guitar.
It sounded amazing, using just the onboard mic pres from the F8.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Nob - the SF12 is a pretty special mic, heh?
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Jnorman,
Simply put,
The Royer, SF-12 is one of the best purchases I ever made in my recording career,
that's why I own 2 !

Would love to try the SF-24, and I really, really want the stereo tube version, but can't afford that at the moment.
Maybe someday?
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

The Royer SF12 was one of my most favorite mics as well. It did acoustic ensemble music deliciously! Sounded awesome on choirs and small strings and did well on large orchestras with omni flankers.

I found that, at least my particular SF12, was super, super fragile and mine was pretty much incapable of being used in the typical venues in which I record. I replaced the ribbons in mine four (!) times in the two years I owned it. At $300 per ribbon change, I couldn't afford to keep it in my locker. I had a very early Speiden version, but Royer specifically answered my question about it being a "lemon" with an enthusiastic NO. I had no other choice than to re-ribbon it and sell it.

I have purchase a Samar VL373. I haven't really given it a fair trial yet but Mark at Samar tells me that it is a very robust design and that he feels it will deal with typical locations with never an issue.

D.
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Funny enough,
The last recording I did with the F8's was using a Royer SF-12 on acoustic guitar.
It sounded amazing, using just the onboard mic pres from the F8.
Close(ish) mic'd? That doesn't surprise me since there was, perhaps, a good level of input. I was once forced to use the amps in my 788T for the SF12 on a Baroque music date and I was not pleased with the noise I encountered. And the 788T amps are recognized as being pretty darned good. In the high 60s of gain, they just got hissy just like I would suspect. The mic did well with the AEA TRP and okay with FetHead pre-pres. I would like to try the Crimson Audio Mogaine pre-pres and the next time I take out my boss's SF-12, I will try and borrow my friend's Mogaines.

D.
Old 9th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I own 2 x F-8 recorders, and link them all the time for 16 track recording.
Use passive Royer ribbons all the time with these units.

No problem at all, and noise hasn't been a issue, at least with the sessions I've done.

How do you link them together for 16 tracks?
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
How do you link them together for 16 tracks?

Yes in fact, there is a way to sync two F8 Units and use only ONE REC Button.

Set it up so that the master controls both units.
Connect a small Wordclock cable between the 2 units.
Zoom F8 No. 1 = Master (Time Code=Int Sync Rec)
Zoom F8 No. 2 = Slave (Time Code = Auto Rec)

Now the Slave Unit start and stops automatic and together with the Master. Great!!
You can use this way to connect multiple units and control all together with one Master.

Another problem is still to monitoring both units with one pair headphones.
I just fixed the problem with a little mixer.

Hope that helped....
Old 9th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Yes in fact, there is a way to sync two F8 Units and use only ONE REC Button.

Set it up so that the master controls both units.
Connect a small Wordclock cable between the 2 units.
Zoom F8 No. 1 = Master (Time Code=Int Sync Rec)
Zoom F8 No. 2 = Slave (Time Code = Auto Rec)

Now the Slave Unit start and stops automatic and together with the Master. Great!!
You can use this way to connect multiple units and control all together with one Master.

Another problem is still to monitoring both units with one pair headphones.
I just fixed the problem with a little mixer.

Hope that helped....
Well damn, that is quite awesome!

Now I know if I need heaps more tracks, I'll just buy a Zoom F8 which can handle 10 inputs. And if I need more, I'll hook up my existing Zoom F4 that I own currently to record tracks 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16!
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well damn, that is quite awesome!

Now I know if I need heaps more tracks, I'll just buy a Zoom F8 which can handle 10 inputs. And if I need more, I'll hook up my existing Zoom F4 that I own currently to record tracks 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16!
10? 8 and a mix per each, right?
Old 9th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
10? 8 and a mix per each, right?
Zoom F8 has 8 powered XLR inputs, but you can have up to 10 inputs in total (just the last two can't be powered XLR inputs).

Same with the F4, with 4 and 6.

Thus in total I could do 8 + 6, if I buy a Zoom F8 (as I already own a F4).
Old 9th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Zoom F8 has 8 powered XLR inputs, but you can have up to 10 inputs in total (just the last two can't be powered XLR inputs).
This is not correct. You have 10 inputs (if you add that on the back with the additional Zoom 2x XLR Combo), but you can always use a max of 8 channels for recording....equal if phantom powered or not.
Old 10th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
This is not correct. You have 10 inputs (if you add that on the back with the additional Zoom 2x XLR Combo), but you can always use a max of 8 channels for recording....equal if phantom powered or not.
Really? My Zoom F4 can do 4x phantom powered XLR plus two extra inputs, for six tracks being recorded at once. I'd assumed the F8 is the same!! (otherwise what is the point in its expansion input???)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search