The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best of the current handy recorders?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I don't know how you can evaluate the noise performance of the unit based on the recording of sheep and fireworks with a noisy background, over the internet...
Not that one.
He has a recording called "Dynamic omni mic" where he uses the same mic to say the same phrases, then records about 10 seconds of silence (noise floor) on both.
Import both files into your DAW, carefully level match if you want, the Sony clearly has more hiss in the silence than the Tascam.
Not sure there's any need to get defensive over it, the Sony is clearly a great machine and superior in some respects (over timbre / sound quality of the preamps, and built-in mics).

There's some SoundCloud recordings floating around - can't find the link at the moment - of someone who made the same recording with both the Tascam and SD, and the SD was way quieter (and if the Tascam's already a bit quieter than the Sony, it stands to reason the SD is quieter than the Sony as well).

The specs bear this out. SD's EIN specs are quieter than the Sony, and also have significantly more available gain. They're among the quietest preamps in existence (all of which hover around -130dB EIN).

Last edited by dasbin; 2 weeks ago at 02:37 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The thing about these handy recorders is that a big part of their primary mission is to be able to record on a whim, very quickly. Being good at that one thing is, to me, the most important factor.

My own use for them is to have one in the camera bag to capture audio to go along with still images for slide shows, etc. The D100 is really the best sounding of the ones available. If I'm on a trip that is primarily photography, I'll have it in my camera bag along with the Rycote suspension. When I want to use it with proper mics, I just connect it to my USBPre2 (running in stand-alone mode) via TOSLink.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks folks, you've answered a lot of my questions here, especially about powering and the Mix Pre. I'm still going to get the Mix Pre 3, I've made up my mind. I did think about the Sony machine, but it's lack of XLR inputs is a deal breaker for me.
Another question, I don't have a windshield! Are there any reasonably priced windshields for shotgun mic's? I've looked at the Rycote ones, and they are really expensive, just wondering about alternatives.
I also want to use the Mix Pre for recording my girlfriends grand piano, I'll be able to run it off the PSU while I'm at her place, but I was wondering about the phantom? and is it up to powering a wide range of mic's?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Check out Movo Windscreens.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I need to find out if the Mix Pre 3 has M&S decoding built in, or is that on the 6 only?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger View Post
I need to find out if the Mix Pre 3 has M&S decoding built in, or is that on the 6 only?
The 3 has it as well.

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
The newer Tascam DR's use BurrBrown OPA opamps, very nice stuff and quiet. 4 or more tracks is also nice. Invest in the best 48 volt mics you can. I use an external USB battery pack, way better life than any AA cells. The 48 volt phantom supply will drain those quick.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbin View Post

[snip]
Sonosax Minir82
+ Extraordinarily small and light. Kind of a freak device in this respect. Very appealing in this respect.
+ Sound quality and noise extremely good, on the same level as the Sound Devices, possibly even better
+ Good battery life just on 4 AA's (>3.5hrs)
+ 8 channels! In such a small device!
- No idea where to buy this or if it's even still manufactured
- Many unknowns about possible issues or how the interface is etc.
- Extraordinarily expensive. Probably disqualified on this alone.
I would put Sonosax as the very best of the very best with a sound quality alongside the Nagra and AETA recorders and a step up from Sound Devices.

Though SD is a big step up from all the others.

IMHO
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search