The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NTR on classical voice?
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Rode NTR on classical voice?

Any thoughts or people who have used the Rode NTR as vocal spot microphone in a small-spaced AB or MS or Blumlein?
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Haven't used the rode, though I have read some nice comments about it. I just picked up an AEA N8 for spot mic purposes and will probably post a few clips comparing it to Schoeps mk2 and mk4. I think the new generation of active ribbon mics like the rode, AEA Nuvo, Royer r122 mkII and phantom powered sf2, Samar vl37a, and mesanovic 2a will find a solid role as spot mics for classical music recording.
Old 21st June 2017
Here for the gear
I would think the NTR works well on voice. I use one on violin and have experimented with it on a string quartet and it worked well.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Ask Christian (aka NorseHorse here on GS) about it. He engineers for Arts Laureate in greater DC and they seem to extensively use the NTR. He may be able to provide useful insight for you.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

It is excellent on singing voice. I recommend using two on a AKG stereo bar. With that set up you can angle them in close together. Micing the singer in stereo is usually the way to go.
Old 24th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi all, thanks for your input. I did ask Christian as well and he was also very positive about the NTRs.
My pair arrived yesterday, super excited about the build quality and the stunning visual appearance. Will be testing them on two CD projects in the coming two weeks, will let you know!
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
Hi all, thanks for your input. I did ask Christian as well and he was also very positive about the NTRs
Some videos by Christian use the NTR, particularly on guitar and percussion: https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtsLaureate/videos
Old 1st July 2017
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Dear all,
as promised: an update on the NTR on classical voice.
I attach a 4-minute sample with extracts from -in order- Buxtehude (soprano), Bach (duetto) and Bach (alto).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7wvke4xq8...tr_16.wav?dl=0

All come from the same CD recording session in a small chapel. DPA 4006TL with APE40 as mains.
Buxtehude was recorded with the church organ and the two altos next to the player, blending in with as little definition as possible.
Bach was recorded with a portative organ with instrumentalists around and choir/soloists behind the instrumentalists with spot microphones.

Buxtehude has no spot microphones but the NTRs on the voice.
Bach duetto has a 4011 spot on cello and one on the double bass, and the NTRs on the voice(s), the alto aria has the 4011s on flute and oboe instead (and no spots on string basses).
I added a little bit of Variverb on the NTRs to blend in with the mains. No EQ used at all.
Balance to my taste is too much voice-centered, but it is what the director wants.

Lovely microphones if you ask me :-)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Many thanks for this file, it is really interesting to hear "in situ" this microphone as a vocal spot mic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search