The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
usb external drives
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

usb external drives

I feel sure that there will be someone that will have the answer to this!!

I'm recording (not quite accomplished yet) to two external usb mirrored drives.

Is there any need or point in partitioning these drives if they are just used to record audio? The OS is on the laptop's internal drive. My thinking is that there would not be anything in the part that was partitioned, if it were to be partitioned.

The equipment being used is the Sadie LRX1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
Is there any need or point in partitioning these drives if they are just used to record audio?
No.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks Bruce,

Local computer techs will automatically go to partition drives, but I couldn't see a reason for doing so, you've sorted that out for me in one word - that's what I call economy !

Originally I posed the same question under the Gearslutz computer forum section, because I thought it was the best place to ask, but although 384 people viewed it, no one replied.

Which confused me somewhat!

Thanks, I'm grateful to you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The 250Meg HDD in the 788T is unpartitioned. I guess the guys at SD know what they are doing.
Old 1 week ago
One partition is plenty
Old 1 week ago
All drives have a partition of course. Usually just one utilizing all possible space in the drive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone for this help, it's certainly not been straight forward as I had been trying to run 3TB drives with XP (it will only accept 2TB).

I've left 2TB drives now as one large partition and everything is up and running nicely.

I've now got to set up a back up laptop using Windows 7 with the 3TB drives, which should be a piece of cake after sorting one out.

I'm using large drives because two new Hitachi 3TB came up at a very good price, at least I won't run out of space!

Thanks all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Geoff, I'm wondering why for a backup laptop, you need something as huge as a 3TB external drive ?

My reasoning is that an external drive adds another Achilles Heel of possible failure (the usb connection and/or power supply cables), compared with simply recording to the internal hard drive of the laptop itself. If the laptop drive were 5400rpm it could suffer from data flow bottlenecks, but a 7200rpm or SSD internal drive should be fine for backup purposes ?

For a single concert or recording session, even with a high track count, you'd probably fit all the recorded GB's of the day onto the safety laptop drive...and once you're safely back at base, then transfer the original session files to the usual storage drive. If you haven't needed the backup at the concert/session, it's served its purpose...and can be deleted.

If you were out for days on end at a festival that might be a different scenario...but a huge sized external drive seems overkill, plus the attendant risks of it being an external device ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Studer,

Sadie recommend the use of external drives so that the OS and Sadie software are kept on the internal separate from the recorded audio. I've taken a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito I think with the 3TB drives though.

I wanted Hitachi drives because of their apparent reliability and got two the same, for mirroring. They were brand new and came along at about the same price as 1TBs.

Setting this lot up was not a walk in the park, but a separate laptop which is being used as a backup was more straight forward. There were initial problems with AVG software not uninstalling and then the fact that XP does not support 3TB drives, along with other problems. I've used two Toshiba drives for the backup laptop.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Given that it's XP, keep it off the net at all costs...very vulnerable to viruses/exploits these days. Sadie should know what they're recommending...as long as it's up to date advice, and not 1998-era ? My caveat was simply related to not adding more links to the backup chain, if not necessary, per individual project ? If you have any hints re ridding a PC of AVG, please PM me..I'm all ears !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just for perspective, my JoeCo BBR1 will record 24 tracks at 88.2k for 44 hours straight using a 1TB drive.

Doug
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
Thanks everyone for this help, it's certainly not been straight forward as I had been trying to run 3TB drives with XP (it will only accept 2TB).

I've left 2TB drives now as one large partition and everything is up and running nicely.

I've now got to set up a back up laptop using Windows 7 with the 3TB drives, which should be a piece of cake after sorting one out.

I'm using large drives because two new Hitachi 3TB came up at a very good price, at least I won't run out of space!

Thanks all.
The only way you can get 3TB drives to work under 32 bit XP is to use a third party GPT partition driver. Paragon is one of the popular ones. But I wouldn't do a system drive larger than 500GB because that is the limit scan disk in xp will reliably report and fix errors correctly.

MBR types are limited to 2TB because of bios limitations.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Given that it's XP, keep it off the net at all costs...very vulnerable to viruses/exploits these days. Sadie should know what they're recommending...as long as it's up to date advice, and not 1998-era ? My caveat was simply related to not adding more links to the backup chain, if not necessary, per individual project ? If you have any hints re ridding a PC of AVG, please PM me..I'm all ears !
AVG was one of the problems with the set up, I couldn't get the thing off the computer, and when I read about it on the internet there were quite a lot of people with the same problem. The only way they (and I had found) was to get AVG to remove it by remote control. This cost around £57 !!

The way I dealt with the cost was to get AVG to look at other things while they were at it, including the things that were preventing the installation of Sadie.

I thought it was a ridiculous situation that you had pay for the removal of the software but sorting out the other things while they were at it solved something that would have been an extremely long-winded thing for me, even then, I might not have managed it.

I've installed Sadie now with Windows 7 successfully, Sadie told me that some folk had managed it - I'm now one of those folk!

I've uninstalled AVG from my other machines now, it was far too busy with pop ups and upgrade adverts.

Once it's being used to recording I will disable the WiFi and swith the antivirus off, I've got Avant on at present, no problem uninstalling that.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 07:22 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Just for perspective, my JoeCo BBR1 will record 24 tracks at 88.2k for 44 hours straight using a 1TB drive.

Doug
Hi Doug,

I really overdid it, I know. I've had a strong word with myself!! I should have looked at an ADAT machine I have which gives similar times to those you have outlined.

I could record with this for 3 1/2 days - non stop. That would be one long session!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 12:29 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiospacific2 View Post
The only way you can get 3TB drives to work under 32 bit XP is to use a third party GPT partition driver. Paragon is one of the popular ones. But I wouldn't do a system drive larger than 500GB because that is the limit scan disk in xp will reliably report and fix errors correctly.

MBR types are limited to 2TB because of bios limitations.
Thanks very much for this information, it's very useful. I'll have to look into this, I have 2TB drives on the XP at the moment.

I think the system drive is 320GB so I'm ok with scandisk.

I read about converting MBR to GPT, but when it successfully installed I just went with the flow

Having said this, I did read up on what XP could support drive wise, and the information came up as no larger than 2TB for external drives and it does appear to support MBR too.

I'll need to revisit this and make sure I don't get caught with my pants down.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 07:12 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My Sadies (3) are all on W7 (32 and 64). This works well, or as well as Sadie works these days.

Sadie wants you to have the app on a "C" drive, that is not the drive you record to. Sadie turnkey systems come with a very small C partition for the app etc.

My JoeCo and Sound Devices drives and cards have only a single partition.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search