The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500$ mic recommendations for nature field recording
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

500$ mic recommendations for nature field recording

I've just upgraded from the R Tascam DR-something to the SD722 recorder, so I've got a solid base!
I've got the Rode NT5s with omni caps, but I'm looking at getting another paired mic setup and a shotgun mic.

In terms of paired mics - I did stumble upon a pair of Lauten LA120s in a local store , are they worthwhile?

Very thankful for all recommendations, thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

funny, i just saw the thread title and thought i'd suggest the rode nt-5...
rode is pretty robust in my experience.

so... probably you could get the cardioid caps if you don't have them already.

and, by chance rode made a pretty good shotgun mic too, though i didn't have much comparison by the time i had it.

edit: sorry, haven't used the lauten mics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
funny, i just saw the thread title and thought i'd suggest the rode nt-5...
rode is pretty robust in my experience.

so... probably you could get the cardioid caps if you don't have them already.

and, by chance rode made a pretty good shotgun mic too, though i didn't have much comparison by the time i had it.

edit: sorry, haven't used the lauten mics.
Just a warning that the NT5 cardioid caps are very susceptible to wind blasts (even air conditioning indoors)...so don't think of using them outdoors without some kind of zeppelin-type wind gag (the supplied foam push on balls won't do the job) This goes for just about all SD cardioid mics
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

hmm, i have to admit i don't record outside a lot and didn't think much about different sensitivities of mics for wind.

but i recorded quite some stuff outside with a NT-4 (same capsules, fixed xy) and a deadkitten and thought it worked pretty good - but probably these were quiet days...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriepunk23 View Post
In terms of paired mics - I did stumble upon a pair of Lauten LA120s in a local store , are they worthwhile?
No idea about the Lautens, but I find the idea of paired mics, and their arrays (ORTF, NOS, AB, etc.) being used outside in the wind problematic.

There's a bunch of good reasons to record nature outside with MS (mid-side), using anything from an omni to a figure 8 for the mid mic, and a single diaphragm figure 8 for the side mic. Not least that you can get wind baskets for MS pairs, and fairly easily boom them.

You can of course get wind baskets for ORTF, at a penalty of more cost and more weight and size. Other configurations as well. But none as efficient as MS.

The other thing about mics for nature recording is the need for really rather quiet and sensitive mics. Budget mics don't typically work out well for this kind of thing. For example, far and away the most popular stereo pair for this duty is the Sennheiser MKH 40 or 8040 paired with the MKH 30. More than 5x your budget, and that's before buying a proper windbasket.

I'm not saying you can't do this work with budget mics. Just that you might be disappointed in the results. When some sound you're interested in gets buried in the mic self noise and the mic-preamp noise, you'll understand what I'm talking about. But for learning purposes budgets mics are fine. If you decide you need the increased performance later, you can always upgrade. It's like a disease around this forum.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Possibly get the MKH 30 first (it's only 2-1/2 x's your budget which can be considered in your budget ) You can use it with your RODE or a shotgun of choice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Just a warning that the NT5 cardioid caps are very susceptible to wind blasts (even air conditioning indoors)...so don't think of using them outdoors without some kind of zeppelin-type wind gag (the supplied foam push on balls won't do the job) This goes for just about all SD cardioid mics
That was my experience with them too! Omni caps are defo working better for me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Really appreciate the feedback here everyone!

I'm gonna try out a friend's Rode NTG8 and see how that vibes.

Bruce, I feel ya man! The MKH-30 later being paired with a 40 is dreamy and may well be worth waiting a bit to save up for. my best recording experience so far (in general) was just mic'ing my sax with an old Sennheiser md441, so I should probably give Sennheiser another shot. Used that mic on my track Forever Never off here. (Heart Beat Circuit | Brave Wave)

I'll look into the Emessers too.

I've also heard some pretty dope results from these DPA4060 mics in more urban environments . Core Sound — Core Sound High End Binaural microphone set (using DPA 4060/4061 capsules)
Not quite sure of price yet. This artist A601-2 has made some cool field recordings in shibuya with them. https://echospacedetroit.bandcamp.co...uya-hypnagogia

This forum helps me so much all the time, and I know quite a few of you guys are repeatedly doing so, so thanks so much!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriepunk23 View Post
That was my experience with them too! Omni caps are defo working better for me
Just wanted to say that because you had 'nature sounds' in the title, the recommendations of the figure 8's came your way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I recorded many M/S atmospheres for film (even got a Sennheiser 418S). Until I compared them to ORTF, NOS & AB. Then I switched for the majority of my ambience recordings. My thought: for an optimal recording, M/S needs a distinct difference in the stereo field, which isn't strong enough in a low level atmosphere.
The wider difference of ORTF mic placement makes up for that lack of distinction. Let's say M/S recordings of low level atmospheres sound too mono to my taste..

For everyone that didn't see it yet, go watch the documentary on Gordon Hampton, Soundtracker.
He uses the binaural Neumann head a lot, but also other mics and recording techniques.

SOUNDTRACKER Gordon Hempton Documentary Film by Nick Sherman
https://quietplanet.com
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmann View Post
I recorded many M/S atmospheres for film (even got a Sennheiser 418S). Until I compared them to ORTF, NOS & AB. Then I switched for the majority of my ambience recordings. My thought: for an optimal recording, M/S needs a distinct difference in the stereo field, which isn't strong enough in a low level atmosphere.
The wider difference of ORTF mic placement makes up for that lack of distinction. Let's say M/S recordings of low level atmospheres sound too mono to my taste..

For everyone that didn't see it yet, go watch the documentary on Gordon Hampton, Soundtracker.
He uses the binaural Neumann head a lot, but also other mics and recording techniques.

SOUNDTRACKER Gordon Hempton Documentary Film by Nick Sherman
https://quietplanet.com
thanks so much for this!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
get a pair of Line Audio CM3. $150 each.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search