The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Won Reecord of the Year
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Won Reecord of the Year

Won Record of the Year. Thankyasomuch!

Crookwood Paintpots delivered an inky black velvet background to the recording.
Schoeps mics and a U89 on cello captured supreme artistry.

Recording supervision by Herr Prof. Doktor Giselher Schubert,
Hindemith Institut, Frankfurt
Attached Thumbnails
Won Reecord of the Year-hindemith.jpg   Won Reecord of the Year-hud-mic-test.jpg  
Old 4th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Congrats
Of all those mics on the piano how many get used at once?
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
Congrats
Of all those mics on the piano how many get used at once?
That's a very compact studio, low ceiling...I can appreciate why you'd want to get in close with the mics, as the room wouldn't give a lot of love back....?
Old 4th June 2017
Gear Maniac

They're all massed in similar field as well.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Congrats!

Wait, is that the valve Soyuz SDC I see there? If yes, how do you like it?
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Congrats. Where and who awarded it?
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Super cool, congrats. I use scheops on piano's too, any hints on your thought process would be most helpful.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Awarded the Deutscher Schallplatten Kritiker "Jahrespreis." See the medal on the front of the 3 cd album.

Second pic of me lining up some mics for a shoot-out is just for fun. We have a monthly EARS meeting where we test equipment. This picture in a studio at Flashpoint Academy in Chicago.

EARS Chicago--see my signature on GS.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Hudson,
Congratulations! The recording of these 3 CDs seems to span the years 1995 -1997 and the compilation release of all three was in 2017? That was a long-term project! Were you involved throughout the long gestation of this project? I can't say I am familiar with Hindemith, but this looks like a good introduction...I will have to look for a copy.
Cheers,
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Addict
Congratulations, Plush!

Quote:

Crookwood Paintpots delivered an inky black velvet background to the recording.
Schoeps mics and a U89 on cello captured supreme artistry.

Recording supervision by Herr Prof. Doktor Giselher Schubert,
Hindemith Institut, Frankfurt
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Congratulations! In your professional opinion, after the recordings were made, could the process have been more "efficient" in getting them released? As jimjazzdad mentioned, this seems to have been a "long term project."
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear
Well done Plush...that's high praise and recognition indeed, from an esteemed jury !

Wiki summarizes.....

"It was inaugurated in Germany in 1963 by publisher Richard Kaselowsky with the aim of setting the "most rigorous standards for supreme achievement" in the field of recording. In 1980, the entire jury separated from the award's previous organizational form and became independent. In 1988, they registered as a charitable organization, "Preis der deutschen Schallplattenkritik e.V."

A core value of the prize is its strict policy to keep its decisions unswayed by commercial interests. Its currently ca. 145 jury members are not allowed to judge a production they were involved in. The jury consists of music critics, writers, musicologists and editors from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, who are not paid to make their selections for the Critic's Award.

The Preis der deutschen Schallplattenkritik is open to all CDs and DVDs, regardless of the record company's size or country.

As of current, there are 29 categories, each served by jury members competent in the respective field

Jahrespreise' ("Annual Awards"), which are presented to a maximum number of 14 outstanding productions of the precedent year, and up to three 'Ehrenpreise' ("Certificates of Special Merit") for lifetime achievement in the field of recording. Ehrenpreise are awarded not only to musicians, but to producers, too"
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Congrats aplenty, Hudson! I'm sure that record is HOT!
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
Congratulations! In your professional opinion, after the recordings were made, could the process have been more "efficient" in getting them released? As jimjazzdad mentioned, this seems to have been a "long term project."
The individual recordings were released in 1997 and 1998, then re-issued here this month.

This is a new 3 cd release bringing together the previous separate compact discs.

Recorded in NYC at Academy of Arts and Letters and at Tonstudio van Geest in Heidelberg.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Addict

You do have EARS/CHICAGO

Hey Plush, great to hear about this award, congratulations to you and would love to hear it.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The individual recordings were released in 1997 and 1998, then re-issued here this month.

This is a new 3 cd release bringing together the previous separate compact discs.

Recorded in NYC at Academy of Arts and Letters and at Tonstudio van Geest in Heidelberg.
I see. I thought maybe there was a legal reason WERGO waited 20 years to release all 7 quartets together, but sometimes there is no reason, it is just the way things worked out. Anyways, congratulations again.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Second pic of me lining up some mics for a shoot-out is just for fun. We have a monthly EARS meeting where we test equipment. This picture in a studio at Flashpoint Academy in Chicago.
Ah, okay. So is that the Soyuz SU-011 there, then? Omni? Card.? Very curious about these, but hard to get a demo pair.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Congratulations! I look forward to listening to this CD set. Will have our music library order it.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Nice one Plush!
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict

Congratulations on your prestigious award.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

What are you doing?

Placing a lot of mics on a piano during string quartet sessions ?

You would be fired on the spot by me.
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

It was beyond my control ...

Congrats !
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
What are you doing?

Placing a lot of mics on a piano during string quartet sessions ?

You would be fired on the spot by me.
I have to admit, that made me chuckle.

On a more serious note - Congrats!
Old 7th June 2017
Congratulations!!!
Old 7th June 2017
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Head
Congratulations!
I will look for where to buy )
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Hey Plush,

What were your exact contributions to this recording?

Dave
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

I was engineer on the recording. I made the recording. Used a Nagra D machine.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Addict

Congratulations sir!
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Hey Plush,
Congrats!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search