The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Won Reecord of the Year
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Narga D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I was engineer on the recording. I made the recording. Used a Nagra D machine.
Looked this up online, very briefly, and couldn't see too much. Please enlighten me on this device Plush. It looks like a portable(ish) analogue reel to reel but the 'D' makes me this this is far from the truth!

Dave
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Nagra D was (IS) a fantastic 4 channel 96K capable recorder of amazing design. It came out in the early 1990's and used reel-to-reel digital tape, Ampex 467 or BASF 931 or the like.

The machine cost $20,000 + accessories.

The machine was famous for having the lowest jitter specs of any digital recorder ever made. It still holds this title.

I used it with a dCS 24/96 converter. The machine hooked up to the converter in what is called dual-wire mode.

Deutche Grammophon used the machine as did all the top top classical engineers of the day.

I made many award winning recordings with my machine.

15 years later, I sold my machine to a famous microphone manufacturer.
Old 4 days ago
Yes, I remember that machine (Gabe Weiner had one), and also the dCS converter, which bested all challengers in its day. Couldn't afford either, and had to make do with a Prism bit-splitter feeding a DTRS deck.

Congratulations on your prize-winning and musically important release.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Fantastic!

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search