The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A simple question...How do you guys afford all this stuff?
Old 1 week ago
  #121
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
In aviation, we old pilots gripe about the kids who are now flying behind computer screens that give them situational awareness via visual presentations and moving maps. We had to look at multiple different gauges, correlate/crosscheck the information, and build a mental concept of where we actually were, where we were actually going, and correlate that to a paper chart.
My grandfather was a pilot during WWII. He would have said he did not have the luxury of knowing where they were, or where they were actually going, he was busy drawing your paper chart.
Old 1 week ago
  #122
Gear Maniac
 

Old 1 week ago
  #123
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post

In aviation, we old pilots gripe about the kids who are now flying behind computer screens that give them situational awareness via visual presentations and moving maps. We had to look at multiple different gauges, correlate/crosscheck the information, and build a mental concept of where we actually were, where we were actually going, and correlate that to a paper chart. They just look at their screen, and see their position on the digital chart. If they have to, they can still do the work in their head. I think it's just human nature to complain when other people don't have to work as hard as we did for the same results.
I have flown both types of aircraft (40 hour dual instruction not yet a pilot) and although I learned on the older type of displays the new "glass cockpits" area joy to fly and navigate. The one thing I worry about is that young pilots will forget how to fly with only their five basic flight instruments when the screens go dark for any number of reasons. FWIW.
Old 1 week ago
  #124
Here for the gear
 

I'm not a pilot myself, but I did read an amusing quote somewhere: "the only instrument which is absolutely essential in a single-engine airplane is the oil pressure gauge; everything else is a luxury".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have flown both types of aircraft (40 hour dual instruction not yet a pilot) and although I learned on the older type of displays the new "glass cockpits" area joy to fly and navigate. The one thing I worry about is that young pilots will forget how to fly with only their five basic flight instruments when the screens go dark for any number of reasons. FWIW.
Old 1 week ago
  #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have flown both types of aircraft (40 hour dual instruction not yet a pilot) and although I learned on the older type of displays the new "glass cockpits" area joy to fly and navigate. The one thing I worry about is that young pilots will forget how to fly with only their five basic flight instruments when the screens go dark for any number of reasons. FWIW.
I'm a CFI - so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 1 week ago
  #126
Lives for gear
 
AudioWonderland's Avatar
 

The question of how to afford this stuff is actually two questions. 1) How to generate cash to spend and then 2) how to maximize what those dollars get you by identifying sleeper items and then finding those items at great prices.

In response to option 1, I refurb and flip gear to suppliment my budget. I spend a lot of time scouring any and all sources for flip opportunities and deals on gear I can use. A process that serves Item 2 as well. As for item 2, you have to be willing to pass on the Mercedes and drive a Honda so to speak.

For example, $500 can get you a used WA76 if you are a bit lucky. No one would argue that a good 1176 clone at that price is a bad thing. But if you know what you are looking for and have some patience that same $500 will check a lot more boxes. The brand recognition probably won't lure in any clients but the gear will get results
Old 5 days ago
  #127
Gear Head
 

I have found that there is still a desire by a musical group to have a good recording of the performance, but there is not enough desire to pay much for it. Most groups want instant gratification on social media, and a cell phone capture of one or two minutes within a couple of hours of the performance is good enough. The lack of media choices complicates it all as well. A high school band director recently asked me about distributing the bands recording on-line. This was driven by the fact that most of his students did not own a CD player, and the ones that did had the CD player in their computer.

I don't need to buy the latest A/D convertors, or another pair of Schoeps to spot mic parts of the ensemble for these types of clients, because they are asking how we can get the price down further, and the speakers in the computer will not let the listener hear the improved product.

I do buy new pieces of equipment to help my workflow, and sometimes I buy new or used pieces to replace a weak link in my signal chain. But, I don't have a need for two or three recording setups these days as the work is not there to support double and triple bookings. I have not brought in someone to cover a recording date in two or three years. But I am staying busy enough for me.

Doug
Old 5 days ago
  #128
Gear Maniac
 
esldude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
I have found that there is still a desire by a musical group to have a good recording of the performance, but there is not enough desire to pay much for it. Most groups want instant gratification on social media, and a cell phone capture of one or two minutes within a couple of hours of the performance is good enough. The lack of media choices complicates it all as well. A high school band director recently asked me about distributing the bands recording on-line. This was driven by the fact that most of his students did not own a CD player, and the ones that did had the CD player in their computer.

I don't need to buy the latest A/D convertors, or another pair of Schoeps to spot mic parts of the ensemble for these types of clients, because they are asking how we can get the price down further, and the speakers in the computer will not let the listener hear the improved product.

I do buy new pieces of equipment to help my workflow, and sometimes I buy new or used pieces to replace a weak link in my signal chain. But, I don't have a need for two or three recording setups these days as the work is not there to support double and triple bookings. I have not brought in someone to cover a recording date in two or three years. But I am staying busy enough for me.

Doug
I, as an amateur, have run into the same problem. Not just kids either. CD players, and CDs are effectively obsolete. You need to come to terms with that. The majority of consumed music is not via CD, and the trend is only going to erode CD further. I also see the same issue with playback. I have recorded groups and no one in the group has a way of listening to the result in even middling quality. Typically if someone has a fairly new car with a somewhat premium stereo that is as good as they will get to hear it. It is disconcerting to think of the ways you try and do a really nice recording in the face of those realities. They are the realities however, and they aren't going to change back.
Old 5 days ago
  #129
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
I have found that there is still a desire by a musical group to have a good recording of the performance, but there is not enough desire to pay much for it. Most groups want instant gratification on social media, and a cell phone capture of one or two minutes within a couple of hours of the performance is good enough. The lack of media choices complicates it all as well. A high school band director recently asked me about distributing the bands recording on-line. This was driven by the fact that most of his students did not own a CD player, and the ones that did had the CD player in their computer.

I don't need to buy the latest A/D convertors, or another pair of Schoeps to spot mic parts of the ensemble for these types of clients, because they are asking how we can get the price down further, and the speakers in the computer will not let the listener hear the improved product.

I do buy new pieces of equipment to help my workflow, and sometimes I buy new or used pieces to replace a weak link in my signal chain. But, I don't have a need for two or three recording setups these days as the work is not there to support double and triple bookings. I have not brought in someone to cover a recording date in two or three years. But I am staying busy enough for me.

Doug
Today it is all about getting things up on the WWW as fast as possible. The heck with quality or what will happen down the road.

One of the groups we use to record puts all their media up on line. Recently something happened to their on line content (it all got erased when a server crashed) and they were "stupid" enough NOT to have a backup. Too bad but maybe this will teach them to always backup their materials. If we had done the recording then we would have had a backup copy.

I too have enough equipment to do three simultaneous concerts but the last time we had to do that was years ago. I guess its time to cull what I have and sell off what I don't need.

I still don't trust the "streaming" aspect of the WWW and prefer to have physical media in my hands and not trust some server somewhere to always have the materials ready to go when I need them. Just me being old fashion.
FWIW
Old 5 days ago
  #130
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
CD players, and CDs are effectively obsolete. You need to come to terms with that. The majority of consumed music is not via CD, and the trend is only going to erode CD further. I also see the same issue with playback. I have recorded groups and no one in the group has a way of listening to the result in even middling quality. It is disconcerting to think of the ways you try and do a really nice recording in the face of those realities. They are the realities however, and they aren't going to change back.
Agreed and understood. I am not looking to change it, but you have to take that in to account when you decide how to record something, how to mix something, how much extra time to put in to the end product. I have not really changed my expectations of my final product, but the consumer is not hearing that level of quality in their playback system. That affects what new items I am willing to invest in, and that list is fairly small these days. Good thing I guess, since the amount of funds I am getting from recording work for in the capital expenditure area is quite small.

Doug
Old 5 days ago
  #131
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I too have enough equipment to do three simultaneous concerts but the last time we had to do that was years ago. I guess its time to cull what I have and sell off what I don't need.FWIW
The sad reality is that the equipment you don't need is not worth much. I have two or three extra Masterlinks sitting in the back room for parts machines. I bought them for next to nothing, and I suspect nothing is what I could get out of them. Maybe some scrap money for the metal.

Most of it is worth more to you in case you need it. You just have to store it. I have people trying to give me 8 and 16 track analog machines just to get them out of their house.

Doug
Old 5 days ago
  #132
Gear Head
But rest assured that when the day comes that the whole world wide web crashes permanently then people will want CD's again.
Old 5 days ago
  #133
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
But rest assured that when the day comes that the whole world wide web crashes permanently then people will want CD's again.
Been quite vocal about this the last several years, except with Pure Audio Blu-ray.
Old 4 days ago
  #134
RPC
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
But rest assured that when the day comes that the whole world wide web crashes permanently then people will want CD's again.
It doesn't need to crash. All we need is an end to Net neutrality: "Oh, that's on YouTube, not VerizonView(tm)? That'll be ten cents per gigabyte, please."
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump