The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Thinking about creating a vintage Sennheiser website
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Addict

Thinking about creating a vintage Sennheiser website

Lately I have been "discovering" and digging up info on vintage (roughly pre-1985) Sennheiser mics. I have collected a few old catalogs, found stuff scattered around threads on this website, etc.

It seems to me it might be interesting to create a website collecting the various information available into a website on the subject. That is something I could do (would be a branch on the free "homepage" space I have available at my ISP). No advertising, no buying, no selling, no endorsements. Just information on old Sennheiser mics (what, when, specs). Cut-off date I have in mind would be 1985, when the MKH40 was introduced.

However, I would like to have permission from Sennheiser before I do this. I definitely don't want to step on anyone's copyright, trademarks or business interests.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions on how to contact the right person at Sennheiser?

Regards, Christine
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

I like the idea. It seems at one time Sennheiser had a lot of older manuals available at the site, though apparently none now. It has been difficult to track information down.
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I like the idea. It seems at one time Sennheiser had a lot of older manuals available at the site, though apparently none now. It has been difficult to track information down.
Exactly. It seems to me that if several people here chip in with information we ought to be able to make a lot of information.

Many models of vintage Sennheiser mics are plentiful on eBay and such, but finding info on them is difficult.

Sennheiser Revue 11 is available as PDF (undated but probably 1982 or 1983), I have been able to pick up a Revue 12 (1985) on eBay as well as a micro revue 1973/1974. I have scans of most of revue 10 (1979). That should allow us to fill in a lot of blanks I would think.

Regards, Christine
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear
It's a good idea, something they (the company) should have done long ago. If you contact them you might like to 'persuade' them somewhat to follow the lead of their compatriots at Schoeps...who have put together a photo tour of their current factory, as well as the 1956 factory : Tour of the company today - SCHOEPS.de

The comparison standard for Sennheiser might be the Schoeps product history timeline...you drag the pointer across the years: Product history - SCHOEPS.de

They could have added more detail..you can never have enough data when seeking out older devices !
Old 26th May 2017
0VU
Gear Addict

A few years ago Sennheiser published a book "Sennheiser - The 60th Anniversary Chronicle" which contains quite a lot of interesting stuff.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Publishing old manuals and material that the manuf has long abandoned is an excellent idea.
Old 26th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist View Post
Lately I have been "discovering" and digging up info on vintage (roughly pre-1985) Sennheiser mics. I have collected a few old catalogs, found stuff scattered around threads on this website, etc.

It seems to me it might be interesting to create a website collecting the various information available into a website on the subject. That is something I could do (would be a branch on the free "homepage" space I have available at my ISP). No advertising, no buying, no selling, no endorsements. Just information on old Sennheiser mics (what, when, specs). Cut-off date I have in mind would be 1985, when the MKH40 was introduced.

However, I would like to have permission from Sennheiser before I do this. I definitely don't want to step on anyone's copyright, trademarks or business interests.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions on how to contact the right person at Sennheiser?

Regards, Christine
What an excellent idea. Maybe you should contact John Willett, who I think used to work for Sennheiser at some point and has tons of knowledge on their microphones.

I am happy to contribute whatever interesting info I may have (like you I have collected some interesting material, some of which is Sennheiser related).

In case you don't have it, here's a 70s catalogue:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...Sennheiser.pdf

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...s-present.html
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Addict

I have contacted John Willett through PM. Unfortunately he hasn't responded yet.

By the way, that revue 11 is probably 1982 or 1983. Revue 10 is 1979, revue 12 is 1985. Both 10 and 12 are dated. 11 unfortunately isn't but somewhere halfway between 10 and 12 would be a safe bet.

Thanks for the support so far everyone. I have contacted Sennheiser for permission (I want to play this safe and not get involved in anything unpleasant), so will wait for their reply.

Regards, Christine
Old 27th May 2017
Gear Head

I have a Revue 12 hard copy.

And, I also have a document from August 1982 - Mikrofon-Anschlub-Fibel, 14. Revised Edition, "How to connect a Sennheiser-Microphone to my tape recorder".
It shows the various wiring schemes of the mics of the era.

I also have the orignal Users Guide to the MKE2002 Artificial Head Binaural Stereo Microphone Kit and the 45RPM Binaural demonstration record, and also have the One Year guarantee card.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Addict

Unfortunately I haven't heard a word back from Sennheiser on my question if they would allow me to do such a thing. Since I will be using their name, etc.

So this idea will have to remain just that for now I am afraid.

Regards, Christine
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Christine, it is a great idea and thank you for being willing. Senn should roll over but may want some control or impose conditions. That should not be surprising. Good luck.

Houdoe

(Yup, my word in Dutch for today)
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't heard a word back from Sennheiser on my question if they would allow me to do such a thing. Since I will be using their name, etc.

So this idea will have to remain just that for now I am afraid.

Regards, Christine
You could always call it something like "vintage microphone docs" and put all your Sennheiser info there and throw in an old AKG catalogue to make it a bit wider. I'm sure they would not object to that (I don't think anyone has objected to the Coutant website for example).
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Addict

What can I say... it was a quiet day at the office. This is half of what I had in mind:

Sennheiser Vintage Microphone Models

The other half would have been a page for each microphone with more in depth information. Remarks, changes, more information welcome.

Regards, Christine

Last edited by connloyalist; 29th June 2017 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Additional thought
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What can I say... it was a quiet day at the office. This is half of what I had in mind:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/mics/SennheiserVtgMicModels.htm

The other half would have been a page for each microphone with more in depth information. Remarks, changes, more information welcome.

Regards, Christine
Christine, for some reason I cannot get that link to work.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

I got to the webpage by copying and pasting the url...for some reason clicking on the link did not work. This is an auspicious start Christine. I maintain a database for one of my other hobbies (sailboats) so I know just how much work goes into compiling a simple table such as this...merci!
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

I had tried that cut and paste and it did not owrk for me then. It does now. Don't know if it is a database or a spreadsheet but it is a nit-picking job to put together. Go, Christine, go!
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Addict

I botched the URL in the post above. Should work now. Thank you for the kind words

I have been thinking about maybe adding the various submodels. So it would look something like:

MD 211 (bla bla bla)
---- MD 211 N (bla bla)
---- MD 211 U (bla bla)

Only problem with that is that the list would become a lot longer (the MD 421 for example has something like 5 or 6 versions). What do you think.

Regards, Christine
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I botched the URL in the post above. Should work now. Thank you for the kind words

I have been thinking about maybe adding the various submodels. So it would look something like:

MD 211 (bla bla bla)
---- MD 211 N (bla bla)
---- MD 211 U (bla bla)

Only problem with that is that the list would become a lot longer (the MD 421 for example has something like 5 or 6 versions). What do you think.

Regards, Christine
Your creation...your call. But the gearslut in me says: "go for it!"
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Addict

OK, I updated it with the sub models / versions. This is about as much information as I can squeeze into one table I think

Regards, Christine
Old 6th July 2017
Gear Addict

In case anyone is following along: added sensitivity and impedance numbers. Several other updates.

Regards, Christine
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Christine - Does the MD422 fit in your list? It was kind of rare - not much info on it (I think it came between the MD421 and the MD421 "Mk II"). I have attached a copy of the manual for your consideration.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf md_422.pdf (962.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 7th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Christine - Does the MD422 fit in your list? It was kind of rare - not much info on it (I think it came between the MD421 and the MD421 "Mk II"). I have attached a copy of the manual for your consideration.
Yes, it qualifies (I am not very strict on the date limitation, and might change that at some point). Thank you! It would be interesting if we could narrow down a time frame when they made these. I don't know when the MD421 was discontinued. Sometime after 1985. I do have a 1996 catalog coming my way one of these days, maybe that will shed some light.

Regards, Christine
Old 7th July 2017
This would be AWESOME! Hope Sennheiser gives you complete permission to go full steam ahead on this.
Old 7th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
This would be AWESOME! Hope Sennheiser gives you complete permission to go full steam ahead on this.
Unfortunately I haven't heard a word back from Sennheiser. So things won't progress any further than updating this now and then:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/mics...gMicModels.htm

Regards, Christine
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't heard a word back from Sennheiser. So things won't progress any further than updating this now and then:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/mics...gMicModels.htm

Regards, Christine
If they do not respond the have neither awarded permission nor denied it. They have what we call "plausible deniability." If they were upset I bet you would have heard by now. You can be no more a problem or irritant than the other pages which list and describe microphones. On the contrary, yours is better, especially beause you are on GS.
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
If they do not respond the have neither awarded permission nor denied it. They have what we call "plausible deniability." If they were upset I bet you would have heard by now. You can be no more a problem or irritant than the other pages which list and describe microphones. On the contrary, yours is better, especially because you are on GS.
They might even consider paying you for the custodial/curatorial work you are going to devote towards doing something they should have done long ago !

I think Schoeps set a good standard : Product history - SCHOEPS.de

Neumann achieve even better than this: https://www.neumann.com/?id=hist_microphones&lang=en

Sennheiser would have such data as Schoeps & Neumann have...and it would be most helpful if they were in a mood to release it to you....but they are too big to care probably ?

At worst you could be charged with generating interest in 'old products' (and stimulating trade in them)...when Sennheiser would prefer everyone to "buy new" to keep the company afloat

Last edited by studer58; 8th July 2017 at 06:48 AM..
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

You know a lot of manuals are here; hard to find. I wonder if this is the database that was disconnected from the Sennheiser site after an update:

Sennheiser Glossary EN
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
You know a lot of manuals are here; hard to find. I wonder if this is the database that was disconnected from the Sennheiser site after an update:

Sennheiser Glossary EN
Wow, that is a great resource. Thanks!

Regards, Christine
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search