The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Thinking about creating a vintage Sennheiser website
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Thread Starter
Thinking about creating a vintage Sennheiser website

Lately I have been "discovering" and digging up info on vintage (roughly pre-1985) Sennheiser mics. I have collected a few old catalogs, found stuff scattered around threads on this website, etc.

It seems to me it might be interesting to create a website collecting the various information available into a website on the subject. That is something I could do (would be a branch on the free "homepage" space I have available at my ISP). No advertising, no buying, no selling, no endorsements. Just information on old Sennheiser mics (what, when, specs). Cut-off date I have in mind would be 1985, when the MKH40 was introduced.

However, I would like to have permission from Sennheiser before I do this. I definitely don't want to step on anyone's copyright, trademarks or business interests.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions on how to contact the right person at Sennheiser?

Regards, Christine
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
I like the idea. It seems at one time Sennheiser had a lot of older manuals available at the site, though apparently none now. It has been difficult to track information down.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I like the idea. It seems at one time Sennheiser had a lot of older manuals available at the site, though apparently none now. It has been difficult to track information down.
Exactly. It seems to me that if several people here chip in with information we ought to be able to make a lot of information.

Many models of vintage Sennheiser mics are plentiful on eBay and such, but finding info on them is difficult.

Sennheiser Revue 11 is available as PDF (undated but probably 1982 or 1983), I have been able to pick up a Revue 12 (1985) on eBay as well as a micro revue 1973/1974. I have scans of most of revue 10 (1979). That should allow us to fill in a lot of blanks I would think.

Regards, Christine
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
It's a good idea, something they (the company) should have done long ago. If you contact them you might like to 'persuade' them somewhat to follow the lead of their compatriots at Schoeps...who have put together a photo tour of their current factory, as well as the 1956 factory : Tour of the company today - SCHOEPS.de

The comparison standard for Sennheiser might be the Schoeps product history timeline...you drag the pointer across the years: Product history - SCHOEPS.de

They could have added more detail..you can never have enough data when seeking out older devices !
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
0VU
Gear Addict
 

A few years ago Sennheiser published a book "Sennheiser - The 60th Anniversary Chronicle" which contains quite a lot of interesting stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Publishing old manuals and material that the manuf has long abandoned is an excellent idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Santiago's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist View Post
Lately I have been "discovering" and digging up info on vintage (roughly pre-1985) Sennheiser mics. I have collected a few old catalogs, found stuff scattered around threads on this website, etc.

It seems to me it might be interesting to create a website collecting the various information available into a website on the subject. That is something I could do (would be a branch on the free "homepage" space I have available at my ISP). No advertising, no buying, no selling, no endorsements. Just information on old Sennheiser mics (what, when, specs). Cut-off date I have in mind would be 1985, when the MKH40 was introduced.

However, I would like to have permission from Sennheiser before I do this. I definitely don't want to step on anyone's copyright, trademarks or business interests.

Any thoughts on this? Suggestions on how to contact the right person at Sennheiser?

Regards, Christine
What an excellent idea. Maybe you should contact John Willett, who I think used to work for Sennheiser at some point and has tons of knowledge on their microphones.

I am happy to contribute whatever interesting info I may have (like you I have collected some interesting material, some of which is Sennheiser related).

In case you don't have it, here's a 70s catalogue:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...Sennheiser.pdf

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...s-present.html
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Thread Starter
I have contacted John Willett through PM. Unfortunately he hasn't responded yet.

By the way, that revue 11 is probably 1982 or 1983. Revue 10 is 1979, revue 12 is 1985. Both 10 and 12 are dated. 11 unfortunately isn't but somewhere halfway between 10 and 12 would be a safe bet.

Thanks for the support so far everyone. I have contacted Sennheiser for permission (I want to play this safe and not get involved in anything unpleasant), so will wait for their reply.

Regards, Christine
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Head
 

I have a Revue 12 hard copy.

And, I also have a document from August 1982 - Mikrofon-Anschlub-Fibel, 14. Revised Edition, "How to connect a Sennheiser-Microphone to my tape recorder".
It shows the various wiring schemes of the mics of the era.

I also have the orignal Users Guide to the MKE2002 Artificial Head Binaural Stereo Microphone Kit and the 45RPM Binaural demonstration record, and also have the One Year guarantee card.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Thread Starter
Unfortunately I haven't heard a word back from Sennheiser on my question if they would allow me to do such a thing. Since I will be using their name, etc.

So this idea will have to remain just that for now I am afraid.

Regards, Christine
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
boojum's Avatar
Christine, it is a great idea and thank you for being willing. Senn should roll over but may want some control or impose conditions. That should not be surprising. Good luck.

Houdoe

(Yup, my word in Dutch for today)
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Santiago's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist View Post
Unfortunately I haven't heard a word back from Sennheiser on my question if they would allow me to do such a thing. Since I will be using their name, etc.

So this idea will have to remain just that for now I am afraid.

Regards, Christine
You could always call it something like "vintage microphone docs" and put all your Sennheiser info there and throw in an old AKG catalogue to make it a bit wider. I'm sure they would not object to that (I don't think anyone has objected to the Coutant website for example).
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump