The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Classical clarinet/piano critique please
Old 19th May 2017
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Classical clarinet/piano critique please

I would appreciate your thoughts on this recording of a classical clarinet and piano piece.

1) The piano rumbles when sustain is used (listen to middle part where clarinet does not play). Is this common on grand pianos?

2) Overall thoughts on recording/mix?

Details: The piano is a concert grand. I'm not sure of the exact size and make/model. I recorded it using a pair of AT4050s set on omni about 9 inches above the strings separated about 30 inches. The clarinet was recorded with a Royer 121 about 2.5 feet in front of players head. I also used a room mic, AT4050 set on omni about 20 feet from players and 10 feet high. The room was a very large hall with high ceilings. I also used an ASP880 into Studio One. I've added a bit of compression here and there, and also some reverb on the clarinet and room mic. I have also tried to EQ some of the rumble out by mainly cutting some of the lows.

I am quite new to recording. This was the first time I have recorded a piano.

Thanks for your help!
https://soundcloud.com/bradleyjowe/r...down-1/s-sWlqc

Last edited by joewelch; 19th May 2017 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: added details
Old 19th May 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Tommy-boy's Avatar
 

Not sure mic'ing the piano that closely is the best idea for that piece. Piano sounds unnaturally wide.
Old 19th May 2017
  #3
Gear Nut
Check out the pictures from this post: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12622721-post12.html

Kingplaya illustrates the classic duo micing strategy.

For me, the piano sound made me feel like my head was in the piano, listening to a very point-source clarinet. I'd like to hear more space, and more rich mids and lows. The Decca tail position is worth reading about before your next outing.

However, the reverb was quite nice! good on you, keep on trying and keep on recording.
Old 19th May 2017
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOp View Post
Check out the pictures from this post: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12622721-post12.html

Kingplaya illustrates the classic duo micing strategy.

For me, the piano sound made me feel like my head was in the piano, listening to a very point-source clarinet. I'd like to hear more space, and more rich mids and lows. The Decca tail position is worth reading about before your next outing.

However, the reverb was quite nice! good on you, keep on trying and keep on recording.
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I tend to like a more focused and stereo sound. I guess that's not a good fit for classical music. I have never really listened to classical music. I'll have to look more into the Decca tree. Thanks again!
Old 19th May 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewelch View Post
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I tend to like a more focused and stereo sound. I guess that's not a good fit for classical music. I have never really listened to classical music. I'll have to look more into the Decca tree. Thanks again!
He said Decca Tail, not Decca Tree. Two totally different things. Just sayin'.
Old 19th May 2017
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
He said Decca Tail, not Decca Tree. Two totally different things. Just sayin'.
Thanks! I've heard of Decca tree a few times and just assumed. I'm such a newb, lol!
Old 20th May 2017
  #7
Gear Nut
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump