The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Devices -Analog/Dante Interface
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Sound Devices -Analog/Dante Interface

Old 21st April 2017
Interesting. If the preamps are nice this could be a good alternative to Focusrite depending on price.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

$1795 retail, and shipping in mid-May according to an email I received.

-Mike
Old 22nd April 2017
Hmm.. That's not bad for 4x4 channels IF the preamps are clean. I think the Grace M208 (8 in, 2 out) is $3K once you buy the dante card. Although the MD-4 is fixed at 48K. Still, for the TV/Film production houses this could be great, they all work at 48K anyway.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Although the MD-4 is fixed at 48K.
Deal breaker. Why would anyone, at this stage in the Dante game, bring out a product that was crippled at 48K?

D.
Old 22nd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Deal breaker. Why would anyone, at this stage in the Dante game, bring out a product that was crippled at 48K?

D.
because most video studios and radio stations and post houses run at 48. Pretty much everyone EXCEPT dedicated music facilities. I was shocked when I took some tv classes this year.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, it may be simply not enough user demand. I don't know anything about the cost to increase the SR to 96k in any Dante device; processor power and so on. But the newest Dante chips come ready to roll at 96k and I can't imagine that the cost would be enough not to just "make it so." Seems like small thinking to me, but anyone with more knowledge of what it takes, feel free to chime in.

D.

PS. I will own that this is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine.
Old 29th April 2017
Here for the gear

According to Audinate's website, the ultimo solution supports 4 channels at 48k but only 2 at 96k.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

So does that mean that the, I think it is, the Brooklyn chipset wouldn't work in the SD device? Or that it would raise the retail price of the unit to be higher than the market, in general, would pay? Or just an engineering decision based on presumed market? In any case, for the most part, a Dante device that won't do 96k is of no value to me.

D.
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Maniac

They use the Brooklyn II chipset in the 970 and haven't enabled the 96K it is capable of. I think it's more of a mindset at Sound Devices. Their core market is Film and TV production sound recordists, who on the whole only use 96K for Sound Effects recording so it can be better pitch shifted, hence their smaller recorders offer 96k. I've tried to explain the need in the 970 to be met by silence or incomprehension.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search