The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"All the world's a stage..."
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Guru

"All the world's a stage..."

I don't know how many of you have built stages in your backyard... but I hope that I may hold some kind of record, because this is the third one I have put up... the other two having collapsed in the most unlikely, freakish circumstances (mostly owing to unlikely, freakish snowstorms, I mean in the Northeast, how could you expect that?) but this one is here to stay, I swear.

Once it's done, I plan to dredge out the ancient pond behind it that's reverted to swamp, in the background, and use the dredgings to construct a putting green beyond, so you'd see its reflection in the water. Not that I am a golfer or anything, I just think it would be too cute-- a stage, out in the middle of nowhere on a dead end road, with a pond and golf course. One would have to be dreaming, or most likely, mad!
Attached Thumbnails
"All the world's a stage..."-stage-april-17.jpg  
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

"If you build it, they will come"...at least you won't have far to go to record the gig. Its a beautiful spot Joel, but what will it look like after the speaker arrays and lighting towers go up?
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac
Speaking of outdoor stages in Petersburgh, NY, reminds me of sitting
under trees on a hillside above a small
stage at the Fox Hollow Festival in the mid-70's. At night the lights showed off
the light green color of the underside of leaves while the sound of Celtic harp,
acoustic guitar, fiddle and soft voices
wafted through the trees. Nirvana!

Last edited by Folkie; 21st April 2017 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Very, very cool Joel!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear
Build a stage and your players will come...a good recipe for creating the right karmic pre-conditions, often it may only be animals and natural sounds, but you'll be able to host your own 'house concerts'...this particular house being the natural outdoor amphitheatre.
Many people think of environmentalism as a 20th C thing, but they're late to the party....

To me this harks back to the spirit of Dick Gaughan and his "Redwood Cathedral" album, particularly the song 'Muir and the Master Builder':

Muir and the Master Builder - Dick Gaughan's Song Archive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir
Old 25th June 2017
Gear Guru

There sure is a sizzly kinda energy to summer, everything's on a boil... No wonder it's the prime time for all manner of celebrations, fairs, jubilees and merrymaking... and so while the girlfriend's away at one of her *many* music festivals and I have a break from piano camp, let's get the roof on already!
Attached Thumbnails
"All the world's a stage..."-stage-6-25.jpg  
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

Since this thread started on a literary note..."Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters"!

Cool stage. What's are you planning for the inaugural performance?
Old 25th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
.... the inaugural performance?
My honey pie turns sixty-four this August, so the idea is to have a party/jam session/concert where each performer must do their own personal version of "When I'm 64."

This will probably devolve into a full-blown night of Sgt. Peppers covers, a real bacchanalia, if I have anything to say about it...
Old 26th June 2017
Gear Nut

My kind of people!
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
My honey pie turns sixty-four this August, so the idea is to have a party/jam session/concert where each performer must do their own personal version of "When I'm 64."

This will probably devolve into a full-blown night of Sgt. Peppers covers, a real bacchanalia, if I have anything to say about it...
"If you (I) have anything to say about it . . ." seems the operative here. Good luck and happy celebrations. I know you will be having a great time. Your place looks great. It makes me homesick, except for the weather.

PS - I may be in your neighborhood in late September. If I am I'll give you a call.
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

Nice job Joel!

Old 26th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
... It makes me homesick, except for the weather...
Aren't you forgetting the mosquitoes and the black flies???
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Oh, thanks for reminding me. LMAO

I was hiking the Long Trail one year just as the Black Flies were hatching. That two week hike lasted one night. Those buggers are persistent. In my ears, in my nose, behind my glasses. As soon as I stopped I was assaulted by legions of them.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There sure is a sizzly kinda energy to summer, everything's on a boil... No wonder it's the prime time for all manner of celebrations, fairs, jubilees and merrymaking... and so while the girlfriend's away at one of her *many* music festivals and I have a break from piano camp, let's get the roof on already!
The bones of the roof look* pretty good. Now a fire-treated canvas roof and you should have good acoustics. But if the acoustics don't sound good for some reason, extend the tent/roof behind the stage. And the sound of the monitors shouldn't bounce back too much. Sizzling is good for cooking, but not for the audiences' ears. That's s my opinion.

*Are the timbers strong enough?
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney View Post
*Are the timbers strong enough?
My studies into the effects of gamma rays on man in the moon marigolds... and the effect of winter storms on stages in the Albany, New York area...

is that it isn't really the weight of snow, per se, but the combination of a weighted roof and a howling wind and a somewhat "evil" spirit (it would probably rather call itself "playful, with an edge") is what causes collapses, so it's really the tension of all the crossbeams that's the critical thing, overall.

We'll see...
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
so it's really the tension of all the crossbeams that's the critical thing, overall.

We'll see...
Don't discount "the New York Times' effect on man" factor either...they all add up incrementally to alliteratively stress a strutted structure.....
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Guru

No time to talk...!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search