The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
timecode 2 DAW's and desks
Old 19th April 2017
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
timecode 2 DAW's and desks

Hi can anyone help me connect 2 X32's together. I need combine simultaneous recordings from 2x 32's on two DAW/computers and im trying to figure out how to get time code working between them. Thank you
Old 19th April 2017
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
Hi can anyone help me connect 2 X32's together. I need combine simultaneous recordings from 2x 32's on two DAW/computers and im trying to figure out how to get time code working between them. Thank you
Simpler option - put DANTE cards in the X32s and feed both DAWs with 64 channels. Syncs the X32s as well.

Or, possibly, just let each run "wild" and copy and adjust tracks from one DAW to another.

Last edited by TMetzinger; 19th April 2017 at 09:16 PM..
Old 19th April 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

Well generally it would be the DAW's that need to be linked together with timecode to keep both in sync, not the consoles. If the consoles are just passing audio through, they are not dependent on a specific time location.

That said, the two X32's do need to be clocked from the same source, or choose one as the master and slave the other's clock to the master console.

Word clock is different from timecode.

What DAW's are you using?

I assume you are using the Behringers as the audio interfaces to get the audio into the two DAW's? The easiest way to do it would be to use an external timecode generator and feed timecode to one channel on each of the X32's. From there you can patch that channel into the timecode input of the DAW and set the DAW to chase TC.

You could also use one DAW to generate timecode, and patch it to the other DAW.

-Mike
Old 19th April 2017
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
that is what i'm getting celticR have you done this before. is there much in the setup. i believe the DAW is waves tracks live.
@TMetzinger This is a work around due to failed piece of equipment so there is no time for upgrading anything
Old 19th April 2017
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
i dont think the desks need to be clocked from the same source as they are not combining audio. But i believe i will have to use them as an interface for the time code.
Is that right
Old 19th April 2017
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
i dont think the desks need to be clocked from the same source as they are not combining audio. But i believe i will have to use them as an interface for the time code.
Is that right
Technically you're likely right that the desks don't have to be synced, as you're not passing bits from one desk to the other. In essence you're passing bits from each desk to each DAW, and you should have a common timecode source feeding both desks via analog input.

You'll get reasonable sync when you combine the tracks later, if you do.
Old 19th April 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
that is what i'm getting celticR have you done this before. is there much in the setup. i believe the DAW is waves tracks live.
@TMetzinger This is a work around due to failed piece of equipment so there is no time for upgrading anything
I've not done precisely this before, but I work with timecode regularly. I'm also not familiar with Wave Tracks Live but glancing at the manual it seems like it can lock to LTC from any USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
i dont think the desks need to be clocked from the same source as they are not combining audio. But i believe i will have to use them as an interface for the time code.
Is that right
If you would like the audio from each desk to remain in sync with each other you do have to feed them both the same word clock. Timecode only determines where the files start, and having the same timecode will make sure that the files start at the same time. Timecode doesn't insure that the files remain in sync all the way through, as it adds no information to anything except the very start of the file.

Especially if you are doing long takes like a concert, it is common that the clocks in the two digital devices (the two X32's) will begin to drift farther and farther out of sync with each other if they aren't locked together. So you do have to feed each the same word clock to make sure that they stay locked together throughout the recording.

-Mike
Old 19th April 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 

X32 desks can drift if they aren't on the same clock. I've had it happen. I'd probably do an aggregate device in Mac OS, run time code to each desk and then record with a DAW like Reaper that can take time code from an audio input.

--Ben
Old 20th April 2017
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks Ben i will need to record to 2 daw's due to track count. The record time will be about 2hrs I'm guessing and it's critical that the recording is right.

How do you mean aggregate device.

I will have 2 MacBooks and 2 X32s available. Both running track mix DAW which looks like the right software. It looks like I can output TC on an xlr and setup the Other DAW set up to except time code on input xxx.

Then setup one board to clock on the aes50 port.
Old 20th April 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
Thanks Ben i will need to record to 2 daw's due to track count. The record time will be about 2hrs I'm guessing and it's critical that the recording is right.

How do you mean aggregate device.

I will have 2 MacBooks and 2 X32s available. Both running track mix DAW which looks like the right software. It looks like I can output TC on an xlr and setup the Other DAW set up to except time code on input xxx.

Then setup one board to clock on the aes50 port.
Forgive me as it has been a very long time since I've had to do this and I'm not sure I explained well in the first post. Basically, you want the two desks in one computer via USB then you can record 64 inputs (or 63 with timecode) to one computer. If that isn't working for you, then you need to use 2 machines. In that case feed the DAW TC so you have positional info to sync with. But to keep the 2 from drifting, you need to feed the desks clock. This is where it gets difficult as they don't have a wordclock input on them. A couple cards do, however, have clock so you'd have to have a card, etc... It's not an easy thing to deal with either way.

--Ben
Old 20th April 2017
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Thanks Ben. I dont think a daw will adept two interfaces at once and I would not chance recording on 2 at the same time so it's definitely 2 mac 2 daws. I think the x32's will clock on aes50
Old 20th April 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

What Ben is actually suggesting is that you use Aggregate Devices to make your two X32's appear as one device to the DAW.

On a mac you do that in Audio/Midi set up, by creating a new aggregate audio device and adding both of your X32's (which both need to be plugged via USB into the computer) to that device. Then in the DAW you choose that aggregate device as your interface, not either of the X32's, and the DAW should then be able to address all the channels of both consoles at once.

It works fine - I use this pretty regularly - although you definitely do have to make sure both boards are clocked the same with this method or you could get sample rate errors. It would eliminate the need for timecode though.

As always, leave plenty of time to test beforehand though.

-Mike
Old 20th April 2017
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
Thanks Ben. I dont think a daw will adept two interfaces at once and I would not chance recording on 2 at the same time so it's definitely 2 mac 2 daws. I think the x32's will clock on aes50
Yes, if you connect the desks via AES50, set one for the master, one for external, they should sync.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump