The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
£700 in the US looks great value, £1,150 in the UK not so much ... I might have to plan a NY shopping trip
Yeah, but that includes VAT. Keep that in mind.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

If I import it would be £840 inc VAT, plus shipping. Much more reasonable.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
And the output is on a....

????? Connector?
????? @ what Level?
????? Balanced or Unbalanced?

It looks like output is on USB, or an unbalanced stereo mini.
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
76dB mic gain. These use our new Kashmir mic preamps with -130dBv noise floor, analog limiters and 32-bit ADCs. Enjoy
Analog limiters is a great thing, what about Low Cut Filter? Analog, digital?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

I was wondering that, the manual is a bit ambiguous on the HPF but given the range of frequencies I'd guess digi. I prefer to kill rumble as close to source as possible but I guess with the low noisefloor and high DR its not such an issue hitting the converters with it.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vunz View Post
https://www.sounddevices.com/news/so...-mixpre-series

Price under $1000... This may be their response to Zoom. Interested...
What I'm learning so far is putting me off. These things aren't aimed at us. They are aimed at (indy) film makers. Even then, the lack of XLR outs to feed a camera a scratch track is... odd?

Nothing here that makes me want to change from my MixPre-D that I'm already using to feed cameras. The MixPre-D is damn good at what it does and I already own it. These new devices aren't so much of an upgrade for this duty as a sideways move (add recording, subtract XLR outs).

I don't see much if any attraction for recording music. Maybe they are phenomenally squeeky clean, lightening fast, ruler flat, and completely uncolored. I'm having my doubts; I'll let others be the early adopters for music and see what they say about it first.

At least they finally got rid of the ancient VU meters and started showing dBFS like everyone else. Now that is an improvement!
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmanuel View Post
Analog limiters is a great thing, what about Low Cut Filter? Analog, digital?
Analog first stage; digital second stage.
Old 20th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

I don't see much if any attraction for recording music. Maybe they are phenomenally squeeky clean, lightening fast, ruler flat, and completely uncolored. I'm having my doubts; I'll let others be the early adopters for music and see what they say about it first.
These new Kashmir micpres are absolutely suitable for music recording. They use a discrete component, class A custom design. There are no off-the-shelf ICs used in these mic pres.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear
DSLR shooters would generally use the 1\8 out to the 1\8 input on most DSLR bodies.

But with the recent discontinuation of part of the 7 series, one has to wonder what else is around the corner?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I'm learning so far is putting me off. These things aren't aimed at us.
Replace "us" with "me" and you're probably right ;-)

Quote:
Nothing here that makes me want to change from my MixPre-D that I'm already using to feed cameras. The MixPre-D is damn good at what it does and I already own it. These new devices aren't so much of an upgrade for this duty as a sideways move (add recording, subtract XLR outs).
Exactly. (see above)

Quote:
At least they finally got rid of the ancient VU meters and started showing dBFS like everyone else. Now that is an improvement!
Huh? MixPre-D has peak metering. So do all the other SD *recorders* and mixers.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
If I import it would be £840 inc VAT, plus shipping. Much more reasonable.
US dealers do not ship SD gear outside the US.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Huh? MixPre-D has peak metering. So do all the other SD *recorders* and mixers.
The MixPre-D has peak metering on the old analog dBu scale. It's emulating an old tape machine VU meter, but faster so you see peaks easier (and more accurately it seems), and it implements peak hold which old VU meters couldn't really do. But it's still dBu, not dBFS, which tends to confuse users at first. Don't believe me -- ask Sound Devices. I did when I first got MixPre-D.

What the new boxes seem to show (and of course I could be wrong) is dBFS. Which is, I think, the right scale to use in the digital age.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The MixPre-D has peak metering on the old analog dBu scale. It's emulating an old tape machine VU meter, but faster so you see peaks easier (and more accurately it seems), and it implements peak hold which old VU meters couldn't really do. But it's still dBu, not dBFS, which tends to confuse users at first. Don't believe me -- ask Sound Devices. I did when I first got MixPre-D.

What the new boxes seem to show (and of course I could be wrong) is dBFS. Which is, I think, the right scale to use in the digital age.
There might be a confusion between scale and metering characteristics.

dBu and dBFs is just a scale while VU and peak refers to the behavior (integration time) so maybe we're saying the same thing.

dBu doesn't necessarily mean the meter behaves like a slow VU meter (old tape machine). It refers to the level of the analogue out which makes perfect sense for a mixer. Not so much for a recorder obviously.

The 788 for example can infact show you VU or peak or VU plus peak. Peak is not the peak-hold of the VU metering ballistics, it's an actual peak meter in addition to the VU metering.

On the Mix-PreD you can set the digital headroom which makes sense because it's both a mixer where you need accurate analogue gain staging for your outs and it's also a A/D converter. Having just an absolute dBFs scale is not very usefull for a device like the Mixpre-D.
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Addict

Why call a 4 mic device MP6 instead of MP4?
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post
Cause you can record a stereo mix of the 4 as well maybe?
Old 21st April 2017
TC2
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Quote:
Cause you can record a stereo mix of the 4 as well maybe?
If I'm reading the manual correctly, it has 6 analog ins, but only 4 preamps...the other 2 ins are line level. You can record 8 tracks at once...the 6 ins plus a stereo mix.

Two disappointments:

1. No digital in. It would be nice to have a S/PDIF input to use a "money" converter for mains. I hope that the A/D conversion on this is really good.

2. No Bluetooth audio streaming. Not a deal breaker, but given that this already has Bluetooth capability, it would be convenient to stream from this to a car stereo on the way back from a gig for a quick listen. Maybe this can be added through a firmware update?

Still, this looks very tempting.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

As music "only" recordist, and a power-user of the 788T, I can not see what these offer except for price with a large take-away of features. I don't think that we are the group that SD had in mind when they brought these on-line. Not a useful tool for me.

D.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There might be a confusion between scale and metering characteristics.
You are right. I've been confusing the two since I haven't seen a real VU meter in at least a decade. I forgot that it's not just scale that makes a VU meter, it's also the meter's ballistics. My bad; that's what I get for leaving the tape world.

What I'm thinking of is: when I run the calibration from the MixPre-D, I set the recorder (usually a camera) to -20 dBFS (the camera's scale), which is 0 dBu on the MixPre-D. Then I record dialog with peaks around +8 dBu (the first of the red LEDs), with limiters set at +18 dBu (factory default). These settings would of course make no sense if the MixPre-D were showing me dBFS as I'd be clipping like a beast. But as set, the device is nearly un-clippable.

When I first got it, I called and asked SD tech support and they confirmed that this is how they expect the MixPre-D to be used. Which is why I'm thinking that the MixPre-D is showing me dBu.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Because it can record 6 channels (+ stereo mix).
Those channels can me fed from mic, line, aux 1, aux 2, USB1, USB2, USB3, or USB4
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

1. No digital in. It would be nice to have a S/PDIF input to use a "money" converter for mains. I hope that the A/D conversion on this is really good.
ADCs are top notch: 32-bit, 120dB dynamic range

Quote:
2. No Bluetooth audio streaming. Not a deal breaker, but given that this already has Bluetooth capability, it would be convenient to stream from this to a car stereo on the way back from a gig for a quick listen. Maybe this can be added through a firmware update?

Still, this looks very tempting.
MixPre uses low power Bluetooth LE which cannot stream audio. You could use the stereo out 3.5mm to aux input in your car for a quick listen or if your car has an SD card reader, maybe that!
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Seem perfect for field recording. But the pricing in EU is a bit disappointing.
From 700£ in US to 958£ in EU without VAT. That's quite a difference!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taavi View Post
Seem perfect for field recording. But the pricing in EU is a bit disappointing.
From 700£ in US to 958£ in EU without VAT. That's quite a difference!
The MP3/6 is 649€/899€ (excl. VAT) at Ambient in Munich.

Which is pretty close the US price considering that it's imported and they maintain local service etc. etc.

GBP/€-exchange rate comes into play I guess. No idea why the UK never go €.

Last edited by apple-q; 21st April 2017 at 10:06 AM..
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

No idea why any sane country went for the Euro!
You have to have control of your currency, not be a buffer for the DM.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

coming from the greedy eu-distributors ?
i had see this pricerange too 958£ in EU without VAT.
Special for the SD Mixpre-D you pay in Europe niw 1.580,00 € in USA 900$ Thats just ****ing Rip off
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
No idea why any sane country went for the Euro!
You have to have control of your currency, not be a buffer for the DM.
"You"? Who exactly is that in a globalized world? The markets control currency. In what way does a fluctuating exchange rate between the GBP and the € help the UK citizens in a globalized market?

Ah well, pointless discussion since the UK is out now anyway and never had the €
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
coming from the greedy eu-distributors ?
i had see this pricerange too 958£ in EU without VAT.
Special for the SD Mixpre-D you pay in Europe niw 1.580,00 € in USA 900$ Thats just ****ing Rip off
Like I said the MP3 is 649€ in actual Europe (not geographically speaking) which is just about 50$ more than the US price at the moment. Seems fair to me if you need to maintain a network of tech-support and repair shops for real pro support, import the gear, ship it to dealers etc. etc.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Like I said the MP3 is 649€ in actual Europe (not geographically speaking) which is just about 50$ more than the US price at the moment. Seems fair to me if you need to maintain a network of tech-support and repair shops for real pro support, import the gear, ship it to dealers etc. etc.
when is 50 or 100 $more is fine, but i wait for the release day & then u will see the massive price increase from the german distribute (i think is ambient) or maybe someone can explain that the mixpre-d cost over 1500euro in germany & usa 900$
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
when is 50 or 100 $more is fine, but i wait for the release day & then u will see the massive price increase from the german distribute (i think is ambient) or maybe someone can explain that the mixpre-d cost over 1500euro in germany & usa 900$
1500 includes VAT .

Still quite a bit more, no idea why that is. But all I can say that this is not the case with the MP3.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
76dB mic gain. These use our new Kashmir mic preamps with -130dBv noise floor, analog limiters and 32-bit ADCs. Enjoy
Is there a 32 bit ADC in this world?

Only in the world of IT, baby. (imaginary!)

95% of real world performance right now does not reach even 20bit.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still quite a bit more, no idea why that is. But all I can say that this is not the case with the MP3.
Both MP3 and MP6 are 37% more expensive in Europe than the US before VAT or Sales Taxes. And that is with dreadful exchange rates, if they improve the markup will be even greater. Either someone has got their sums wrong or SD dont want to sell to Europe for some reason.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search