The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
Really nice string quartet sound Rob! How did you mic it?
Why, thank you - that's very kind, but I suspect the kicka$$ players had something to do with it.

Mic-wise, t'was a pair of mk21's in some sort of NOS-ish configuration. I believe my final measurement was around 25 cm, and the angle was substantially less than 90-degrees. Picture attached:
Attached Thumbnails
New Sound Devices recorders!-p1000516.jpg  
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
Basically yes - this is going through an API 3124. The Mytek got the direct out since it's calibrated at -20 dBFS, the MixPre got the mix out, attenuated a bit to match its hotter calibration.
On the first comparison, it sounds like the stereo field is slightly wider on the Mytek. I wonder if the Mytek got the mix out and the MixPre got the direct out if we'd be saying the reverse in terms of which sounds better?

Full disclosure - I have a mixpre but not a Mytek lol.
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post
On the first comparison, it sounds like the stereo field is slightly wider on the Mytek. I wonder if the Mytek got the mix out and the MixPre got the direct out if we'd be saying the reverse in terms of which sounds better?

Full disclosure - I have a mixpre but not a Mytek lol.
It's a valid point, but in my experience from the days when I fed the mix out to the Mytek and direct outs to a dr680, I can say that in that comparison I detected this same "width" and "depth" on the Mytek, so I don't think the mix out is deficient in comparison to the direct outs - also better ambience retrieval in my perception than any other converter I've used, save for maybe the old Genex ADC.
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Here's a comp between the MixPre-6 and the USBPre2, a short recording of acoustic piano.
Thanks for that -- this is relevant to a question I've been pondering.

I have a Korg MR-1000 that I use for remote recording, but the built-in preamps aren't great. Plus I don't have a good interface for recording to my computer. I've been thinking of getting the USBPre2 to serve both purposes (preamp and interface), but on the other hand the MixPre-6 could replace the MR-1000 altogether, as well as serving as an interface. The MR-1000 uses a hard disk, which won't last forever, whereas the MixPre-6 records on removable SD cards. I'm waffling and would welcome any thoughts on which would be a better investment.
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Thanks for that -- this is relevant to a question I've been pondering.

I have a Korg MR-1000 that I use for remote recording, but the built-in preamps aren't great. Plus I don't have a good interface for recording to my computer. I've been thinking of getting the USBPre2 to serve both purposes (preamp and interface), but on the other hand the MixPre-6 could replace the MR-1000 altogether, as well as serving as an interface. The MR-1000 uses a hard disk, which won't last forever, whereas the MixPre-6 records on removable SD cards. I'm waffling and would welcome any thoughts on which would be a better investment.
If you think you'll never require digital I/O, then I would go with the MixPre-6 and you'll have everything you've mentioned you need in one box.

The preamps are of equal (but different) quality in both units.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Here's a comp between the MixPre-6 and the USBPre2, a short recording of acoustic piano.

The USBPre2 preamp is apparently similar to those in the 788T.

COMP 1-A https://app.box.com/s/lj7a1k7ifelh3y271p7k944ngggkef5x

COMP 1-B https://app.box.com/s/6dcyz792iqb8ojiqe6dzg64a8r46h820

Beyerdynamic MC930's > ART Phantom Pro II > Y-cable split > 1. to USBPre2 mic in > TASCAM DR100MK3 digital in; & > 2. to MixPre-6 mic in

Both recorded at 24/48.

One file is a bit louder than the other.

A river flows past my house. Not sure if it's audible on the tracks.
Hello,
to clarify who's A and B? not sure...
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadept View Post
Hello,
to clarify who's A and B? not sure...
Thanks!
A = MixPre-6
B = USBPre2
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

I'm looking into the Mixpre 6 as a field recorder.

noob questions:

(1) I already own a SD 302, but since the Mixpre 6 has built-in amps (and it seems like even better pre-amps than previous SD models), I assume the SD 302 will be useless to me... ?

Or possibly I could use the SD 302 for input 5 & 6 ? Anything I'm missing ?

I'm currently using a Tascam as a field recorder but want to upgrade to an unit that accepts TC in.

(2) Anybody here use the Tentacle Sync boxes with the Premix 6 ? If so, what cable is needed to deliver TC from the TS to the Premix 6 Aux in ? Is that a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that comes with the TS units (and is also used to sync them between each other) or do I need a special cable for the Mixpre 6 ?

Thanks.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, a simple 1/8" cable will get timecode from a tentacle sync to the MixPre-6. This is what I do and it works well.

You can also use your SD302 for inputs 5/6, no problem. You just won't be able to feed the 302 into 5/6 and use timecode simultaneously.

-Mike
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Yes, a simple 1/8" cable will get timecode from a tentacle sync to the MixPre-6. This is what I do and it works well.

You can also use your SD302 for inputs 5/6, no problem. You just won't be able to feed the 302 into 5/6 and use timecode simultaneously.

-Mike
Hi Mike,

thanks so much.

I'm looking at pics on bhphoto... I see one Aux/Mic in and then a HP out and then a Stereo out... which one is being used as the 2nd Aux in ?

And, just to be sure: if I use one of the Aux inputs as TC in, could I still use the remaining Aux in as a 5th channel ?

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete24 View Post
Hi Mike,

thanks so much.

I'm looking at pics on bhphoto... I see one Aux/Mic in and then a HP out and then a Stereo out... which one is being used as the 2nd Aux in ?

And, just to be sure: if I use one of the Aux inputs as TC in, could I still use the remaining Aux in as a 5th channel ?

Thanks.
The aux/mic in is a stereo 1/8" jack, so both channels are on the same jack.

To my knowledge you cannot use one input for timecode and one for audio.

-Mike
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
The aux/mic in is a stereo 1/8" jack, so both channels are on the same jack.

To my knowledge you cannot use one input for timecode and one for audio.

-Mike
ah, good info.

since I def need TC (from the TS) on every recording, this will basically make this a 4 x input field recorder, so I can part with my 302...

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Mixpre Link Levels

Noticing some odd behavior when I link channels on my Mixpre-6. I expected "Link 1-2" to keep levels the same and "Link 1-2ms" to drop levels 6dB (because both input channels can feed one output channel). With inputs set to mike, "Link 1-2" drops levels 6dB, "Link 1-2ms" drops levels 12dB relative to unlinked. With inputs set to line, "Link 1-2" keeps levels same but 'Link 1-2ms" drops levels a whopping 30dB. Can anyone confirm? How do the Mixpre-3 and Mixpre-10T behave?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
Noticing some odd behavior when I link channels on my Mixpre-6. I expected "Link 1-2" to keep levels the same and "Link 1-2ms" to drop levels 6dB (because both input channels can feed one output channel). With inputs set to mike, "Link 1-2" drops levels 6dB, "Link 1-2ms" drops levels 12dB relative to unlinked. With inputs set to line, "Link 1-2" keeps levels same but 'Link 1-2ms" drops levels a whopping 30dB. Can anyone confirm? How do the Mixpre-3 and Mixpre-10T behave?
Not had a moment to check, but given that this was a few days ago and no longer the weekend, presumably you have queried this with the helpful folks at Sound Devices: what has been their response?

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
Not had a moment to check, but given that this was a few days ago and no longer the weekend, presumably you have queried this with the helpful folks at Sound Devices: what has been their response?

Cheers,

Roland
From development via customer support: "This test is not expected to work because the customer is summing the same signal and encoding it as MS. There is some phase cancellation going on. Customer would be better testing using a cardioid microphone and bi-directional microphone setup in the proper configuration." FWIW, I'm not "summing" any signal - I'm feeding a tone into channel 1. And I'd at least expect it to behave the same way for mike and line!
(Also FWIW, I originally found this trying to use the Mixpre-6 MS on a line level signal (X and Y channels from a Soundfield MK IV) - I engaged MS and the signal disappeared! That was how I discovered the 30dB drop in line input MS linking which led to my further investigations.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
From development via customer support: "This test is not expected to work because the customer is summing the same signal and encoding it as MS. There is some phase cancellation going on. Customer would be better testing using a cardioid microphone and bi-directional microphone setup in the proper configuration." FWIW, I'm not "summing" any signal - I'm feeding a tone into channel 1. And I'd at least expect it to behave the same way for mike and line!
Not entirely sure from your posts exactly how you were testing. But just now using a real MS mic setup (as SD suggest), I do find with my Mixpre-3 that the recorded track when decoding in the SD device gives a result 12db lower than when simply recording the mid and side channels and then decoding in my DAW. Result sounds pretty much the same when the levels are matched in post, so not sure of the significance, if any, and I have recorded both ways previously with no issues.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Thanks for checking. I agree the 12dB change on mike inputs (instead of 6) isn't significant - you end up with two bits of noise instead of three - but on line inputs you lose 30dB, which I think IS significant. (And it makes me wonder what else is going on "under the hood!")
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for checking. I agree the 12dB change on mike inputs (instead of 6) isn't significant - you end up with two bits of noise instead of three - but on line inputs you lose 30dB, which I think IS significant. (And it makes me wonder what else is going on "under the hood!")
Sure. Keep discussing it with SD: I certainly found them responsive to my reporting of the stereo and MS linking pan control bug (see earlier in this thread), since fixed in a firmware update.

Cheers,

Roland
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search