The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sound Devices recorders!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Would you mind opening up your MP6 case (that's under the SD in the pic) and snapping a photo? I'd like to see how you pack the rig in that (I've been looking more at audio bags more intended for film work ... not entirely sold on that yet).

Also -- what is that case?

Sorry, that is just my Ultrasone headphone case I used to prop up the unit. I carry the unit around in a Samsonite computer tote along with the DAV and cables etc. I don't do field work for video, so that kind of bag is just annoying to use IMO.

A personal aside rant on audio bags. I will stay away from PortaBrace from now on. They ripped me off. I Bought a camera bag from them for my Panasonic AG-UX180. It was the wrong size. They politely said they would give me a new bag and I could keep the old one for the trouble. That was nice of them. Well, 10 months and many unanswered emails later, I still don't have my replacement bag. They lost my business, not that they care.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wanted to share something-

So I picked up a Mixpre6 and I'm really loving the sound. Good preamps - as good or a bit better than my others (Audient and Roland R88).

I have a couple of Naiant mics which are similar I think to the OM1 in that they are built into an xlr sleeve. If I plug one in channel 1 and another in channel 4 I can have "internal mics" - Omnis spaced about a foot apart for easy non critical stuff where maybe you need simple audio near the camera etc.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sound Devices recorders!-img_0022.jpg  

Last edited by leddy; 3 weeks ago at 07:21 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post

So I picked up a Mixpre6 and I'm really loving the sound. Good preamps - as good or a bit better than my others (Audient and Roland R88).

I have a couple of Naiant mics which are similar I think to the OM1 in that they are built into an xlr sleeve. If I plug one in channel 1 and another in channel 4 I can have "internal mics" - Omnis spaced about a foot apart for easy non critical stuff where maybe you need simple audio near the camera etc.
Nice idea!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddy View Post

hi, cool idea .. looking on Naiant website i do not see the mics you have .. where can i find these ??

thx john
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi, cool idea .. looking on Naiant website i do not see the mics you have .. where can i find these ??

thx john
The ones I have are discontinued but he makes other similar (and probably better) ones. The XR series look like it. They look maybe an inch longer. He custom builds stuff pretty cheap so he might be able to make a shorter one without the interchangeable capsule like the older MSH ones I have. Or go with the OM1's?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

thx john
Just wanted to add a strong endorsement of Naiant products. Jon does excellent work and is a font of audio and electrical knowledge, and will advise you to purchase only what you need.

I own what I believe to be the immediate successor to the MSH omnis, the X-Q. Purchased in 2007 and used heavily ever since with not a hiccup, all for the princely sum of $32 each at the time!

Since then I've owned several other of his products. Most recently when I picked up a mint pair of DPA 4061s with TA4 termination, Jon build me a dedicated set of PFAs to run them off of a standard P48 input, and a stereo TA4 extension.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Firmware update v1.20 is here featuring 4-channel linking!

https://www.sounddevices.com/support...xpres-firmware

New: The MixPre-6 now offers 4-channel linking. (This feature is only available on the MixPre-6.)
Input Delay, a feature already available on the MixPre-6, is now supported on the MixPre-3. Available on channels 1-3, adjustable from 0 to 30 ms in 1 ms increments.

Thanks SD!

-Mike
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
Just wanted to add a strong endorsement of Naiant products. Jon does excellent work and is a font of audio and electrical knowledge, and will advise you to purchase only what you need.

I own what I believe to be the immediate successor to the MSH omnis, the X-Q. Purchased in 2007 and used heavily ever since with not a hiccup, all for the princely sum of $32 each at the time!

Since then I've owned several other of his products. Most recently when I picked up a mint pair of DPA 4061s with TA4 termination, Jon build me a dedicated set of PFAs to run them off of a standard P48 input, and a stereo TA4 extension.
thx for the info !!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll add to the endorsement of Naiant products. I have several of his portable preamps as well as several sets of PFAs to run Schoeps active (KCY) and AKG (Naiant custom active cable) rigs. Never had problems with any of Jon's gear and he is very responsive to questions. Highly recommended!
Old 2 weeks ago
These devices look particularly interesting to me for a number of reasons - both as portable field recorders for ambient/soundscape stuff and also potentially as a compact portable USB interface. I'm sold on them as normal field recorders. But I haven't been able to find any specs regarding the USB driver and what latency/buffers it runs at. Anyone know RTL specs for 64 or 128 buffers, perhaps? Or tried using these on sessions with quite a few tracks - is it usable as a "studio" replacement usb, in other words, or does it choke like many of the USB interfaces on the market?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i am waiting for someone to reply that has used these as a USB interface .. how is Latency Dealt with in this scenario ?? can you monitor through the MIXPRE directly or do you have to listen through DAW ?? thank you john
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i am waiting for someone to reply that has used these as a USB interface .. how is Latency Dealt with in this scenario ?? can you monitor through the MIXPRE directly or do you have to listen through DAW ?? thank you john
You can do either. I've used it as a USB interface several times and it works well - no latency issues here. Here is the relevant section from the MixPre-3 manual (the MixPre-6 works the same way):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Devices MixPre-3 Manual
We’ve worked really hard with our hardware, logic and software design teams to minimize latency. We’ve found that in many scenarios, latency when monitoring through a DAW (digital audio workstation) is perfectly acceptable, depending upon DAW software, computer hardware and plug-ins.
In situations where the throughput latency is higher than desired, the input to the MixPre-3 can be directly monitored in the headphone output.
To monitor with zero-latency through the MixPre-3:
1. Connect MixPre-3 to computer.
2. Confim that the LR Stereo HP Preset is selected.
3. Select USB1 for Channel 1 source and Pan L.
4. Select USB2 for Channel 2 source and Pan R.
5. Connect microphone or other input to Channel 3.
6. Select Mic for Channel 3 source. This input will appear to your computer as USB stream 3.
7. Setup your DAW software for a new track with its source being Channel 3 and be sure that record monitoring is disabled for this track. (Optionally, you may mute the channel’s output in the DAW).
8. You should now be able to hear and adjust the output of your DAW audio through Channels 1 and 2 while adjusting your low-latency feed in your headphones and to the DAW with Channel 3. Use the channel 3 knob to adjust the send level to the DAW. Use channel 1 and 2 knobs to adjust the mix of the DAW audio with channel 3 to taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
You can do either. I've used it as a USB interface several times and it works well - no latency issues here. Here is the relevant section from the MixPre-3 manual (the MixPre-6 works the same way):
Perfect .. thank you so much for the reply / information and Quick Too !!!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
These devices look particularly interesting to me for a number of reasons - both as portable field recorders for ambient/soundscape stuff and also potentially as a compact portable USB interface. I'm sold on them as normal field recorders. But I haven't been able to find any specs regarding the USB driver and what latency/buffers it runs at. Anyone know RTL specs for 64 or 128 buffers, perhaps? Or tried using these on sessions with quite a few tracks - is it usable as a "studio" replacement usb, in other words, or does it choke like many of the USB interfaces on the market?
Yes, it is usable as a studio interface.
As detailed in a previous post, you can monitor with zero latency directly on the MixPre.
In terms of monitoring through the computer, round trip latency will depend on many factors including computer hardware, OS, computer drivers, software, plugins, buffer size etc. I'm getting a very useable 8.8ms round trip latency using my 2015 MBP running Reaper at 64 buffer size. At 128 buffer size, it's about 10ms.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
Yes, it is usable as a studio interface.
As detailed in a previous post, you can monitor with zero latency directly on the MixPre.
In terms of monitoring through the computer, round trip latency will depend on many factors including computer hardware, OS, computer drivers, software, plugins, buffer size etc. I'm getting a very useable 8.8ms round trip latency using my 2015 MBP running Reaper at 64 buffer size. At 128 buffer size, it's about 10ms.
Excellent, thanks for the info.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I've had my MixPre-6 for about a month now. Lovely device; sounds great as everyone has mentioned.
I do have two complaints so far, one of which is a fairly serious "bug."

1) I built my own headphone presets because I want to monitor directly off the first two tracks, not the L/R mix. I also use Basic (Custom) gain mode so that I can control preamp gain quickly with the knobs. However... when these two things combine, something very strange happens. The signal I hear in my headphones is not correlated to the preamp gain at all! In other words, I can turn the input gains all the way down, such that NOTHING is metering on the device at all, and yet still hear the signal from my microphone in my headphones, as if the gain were set to about 50dB! This also means that if I need to turn up the gain louder than this for a quiet source, I can't monitor loud enough in my headphones, because it seems to be monitoring a signal that is fixed in level. This has me wondering how on Earth the gain-staging works in these units at all. Obviously the preamplifier circuit is still preamplifying quite significantly even though its gain is supposedly turned all the way down... it's just that normally this seems to be digitally-attenuated or something. Makes me wonder if there is actually ANY real preamp control on these devices at all, or if all we're really doing in "setting gain" is just adjusting hidden digital attenuation/boosts without realizing it (which would certainly be detrimental to the real bit resolution of the recording, particularly very quiet recordings).

2) Much more minor, but the labeling in the Presets section is confusing/incorrect. "Save to Slot 1" actually saves in what is called Slot 2 when you go to load a preset (as Slot 1 always contains defaults), and so forth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've used it "in battle" a couple of times. My preliminary thoughts:

Would be nice to not always record the L-R mix. If there's a way to disarm this, I've not figured it out.

Similarly, I'd like the option of recording individual mono files instead of multi-channel .wav.

I'll admit, I've not done an exhaustive search of the manual, so maybe it's possible - but not intuitive.

The mic pre's are ok. The converters do not hold a candle to the Mytek, but the analog electronics are an order of magnitude quieter than DR-680. It's a very useable box - especially for boom work, but adequate for music capture.
Old 6 days ago
You can disable the lr recording by going into the menu and altering the record settings, but it also makes it more difficult to monitor playback and you will need to create a rather unforgiving headphone mix.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post

The mic pre's are ok. The converters do not hold a candle to the Mytek, but the analog electronics are an order of magnitude quieter than DR-680. It's a very useable box - especially for boom work, but adequate for music capture.
I'm sad to hear this. I was hoping for a high quality recorder that would capture the sound of my favorite preamps faithfully (Millennia + DAV). I guess I should look at the 788 or Tascam HS-p82? Most of my orchestral gigs are under 8 channels and was hoping this would fit the bill.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I'm sad to hear this. I was hoping for a high quality recorder that would capture the sound of my favorite preamps faithfully (Millennia + DAV). I guess I should look at the 788 or Tascam HS-p82? Most of my orchestral gigs are under 8 channels and was hoping this would fit the bill.
I wouldn't be discouraged by one report. I don't share his opinion on sound quality fwiw. I use mytek converters too and find no fault in the SD recorder. It has a respectable 120dB dynamic range and a clean sound. The preamps may not have the low noise characteristics of higher end preamps at high gain levels, but in a normal operating scenario, they sound very good. It also may be a little unfair to judge converter quality based on a couple uses and without a head to head comparison.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
You can disable the lr recording by going into the menu and altering the record settings, but it also makes it more difficult to monitor playback and you will need to create a rather unforgiving headphone mix.
You can disarm the LR tracks but still monitor them in headphones. Just set Record Menu > Rec L,R to 'Off & Linked'
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I wouldn't be discouraged by one report. I don't share his opinion on sound quality fwiw. I use mytek converters too and find no fault in the SD recorder. It has a respectable 120dB dynamic range and a clean sound. The preamps may not have the low noise characteristics of higher end preamps at high gain levels, but in a normal operating scenario, they sound very good. It also may be a little unfair to judge converter quality based on a couple uses and without a head to head comparison.
I would invite that head-to-head comparison on dynamic range, gain and low noise performance.

Paul
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljisaacs View Post
You can disarm the LR tracks but still monitor them in headphones. Just set Record Menu > Rec L,R to 'Off & Linked'
You can disarm with Off or Off & Linked and still monitor the LR mix during recording because that is handled with the headphone settings. But you cannot listen to the mix during playback if you did not record it on the LR channels. You would have create a headphone mix of the individual channels with not way to adjust pan other than L,R, or, LR (C), and no way to adjust track levels on playback.

Hopefully in a future update you will be able to output a customizable mix during playback like most small multi channel recorders are able to do.

I tend to record the LR anyway because I can create a rough mix while recording to preview on location if needed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

to compare 1000$ mytek ad to sd ad etc...please
i have the mixpre 3, i use the mytek ad da, neve api & all the other highend **** too, the mixpre 3 is great for ribbons too, make a better job than my other preamps, for the price you will not find a better recorder, the only point, the zoom f8 had a better firmware, more easy, the remote app can change the input gain too & the file management is better on the zoom & u dont need a software (waveagent) for split the poly files.....on the zoom u have all single track files( incl stereo) in the folder, easy....,,but i love more the buildquality of the new sd series...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Here's a comp between the MixPre-6 and the USBPre2, a short recording of acoustic piano.

The USBPre2 preamp is apparently similar to those in the 788T.

COMP 1-A https://app.box.com/s/lj7a1k7ifelh3y271p7k944ngggkef5x

COMP 1-B https://app.box.com/s/6dcyz792iqb8ojiqe6dzg64a8r46h820

Beyerdynamic MC930's > ART Phantom Pro II > Y-cable split > 1. to USBPre2 mic in > TASCAM DR100MK3 digital in; & > 2. to MixPre-6 mic in

Both recorded at 24/48.

One file is a bit louder than the other.

A river flows past my house. Not sure if it's audible on the tracks.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't misunderstand: I'm not knocking the SD - nothing wrong with it, and I'd make no apologies for any recording I'll ever do with it - it's just not quite as luscious-sounding as the Mytek. I'd be rather surprised if an $800 box with 4 mic amps, 6 channels of ADC, integrated digital mixer &c., timecode-chasing, battery-operated field recorder/USB interface beat out a purpose-built stereo ADC that exceeds it in price.

Here's a quick comparo. 44.4k/24b unprocessed in any way. near-coincident pair in a less-than-ideal room:
Attached Files

MixPre.wav (4.20 MB, 358 views)

Mytek.wav (4.20 MB, 333 views)

Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Don't misunderstand: I'm not knocking the SD - nothing wrong with it, and I'd make no apologies for any recording I'll ever do with it - it's just not quite as luscious-sounding as the Mytek. I'd be rather surprised if an $800 box with 4 mic amps, 6 channels of ADC, integrated digital mixer &c., timecode-chasing, battery-operated field recorder/USB interface beat out a purpose-built stereo ADC that exceeds it in price.

Here's a quick comparo. 44.4k/24b unprocessed in any way. near-coincident pair in a less-than-ideal room:
I'll admit the Mytek does sound quite a bit better here. Was the signal just split off the preamps into the line inputs?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll admit the Mytek does sound quite a bit better here. Was the signal just split off the preamps into the line inputs?
Basically yes - this is going through an API 3124. The Mytek got the direct out since it's calibrated at -20 dBFS, the MixPre got the mix out, attenuated a bit to match its hotter calibration.

Here's another example, ORTF-ish pair. I think the difference here is a bit more obvious. Same signal path as the other recording, but I should mention that this also passed through the internal mixer on the MixPre, which may result in a little further degradation. I did not record the direct tracks on this one - only the LR mix track - something I rectified on the string quartet posted earlier (which is a later recording).

But again, I'd make no apologies for the MixPre if I were delivering those tracks - there's nothing wrong with the sound of it. If it beat out the Mytek, I'd be questioning everything I've ever believed
Attached Files

MixPre-Singer.wav (7.89 MB, 300 views)

Mytek-Singer.wav (7.89 MB, 300 views)

Last edited by RobAnderson; 3 days ago at 11:15 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quick comparo.
Really nice string quartet sound Rob! How did you mic it?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search