The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog VxS Digital Bandwidth
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Analog VxS Digital Bandwidth

12 years ago when I forked over some heavy cash to buy a point source speaker system (KV2 ES stacks and EX10 wedges) the KV2 people were certain my new GL2800 series A & H desk would be a good fit. 5 years later when my 70 year old back told me to lighten up and cross over to the dark side of digital processing, The KV2 folks were certainly not happy with my decision and were adamant in their advice that the latency in digital processing for live events was unacceptable. This was not the position of Meyer and several other high end manufactorers however the KV2 position was digital would not be on equal footing with analog processing until the bandwidth differential became insignificant. I have recently joined the modular Digigrid/Waves LV1 gear group primarily because of the outstanding Sonic improvement 32/96 processing makes in reducing latency to 0.8ms. Most offerings on the market anywhere close in price range are in the 2.5 latency range. It is very diffacult to obtain real world numbers regarding latency since it has little or no effect post tracking: however at this point I decided to trust my ears. For the acoustic music we do in live performance the sonic difference was a game changer for us.
Hugh
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Still moving PA at 70? God bless!

D.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

In fact I am currently 76 and have reached a point in my life that includes 3 (18 hole) rounds of walking golf every week and occasional performances of the music I have recorded, engineered and performed for almost 50 years. My studio is in the house I built 22 years ago and after jumping into the video world several years ago I have found the natural light available to me here along with high end audio processing has made my endeavors a lot of fun: however I certainly am in the final chapters of my career and when the end comes I will be resolute in the knowledge that I did exactly what I wanted to do with the best gear available to me with the people I really wanted to work with. Life, for all of us, is a short trip and my goal has always been to maximise my talent within the genre i am comfortable with the best gear available and to deliver the best possible sonic SR to the folks that honor our efforts when they are seated in our audience. Clearly I have not optimized my oportunities to find fame or fortune within our industry: however I have been blessed in the fact that most, if not all, mornings when I get out of bed I look foward to what the day will bring. Hang in there tourtelot, your golden years are just arround the corner.
Hugh
Old 14th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
In fact I am currently 76 and have reached a point in my life that includes 3 (18 hole) rounds of walking golf every week and occasional performances of the music I have recorded, engineered and performed for almost 50 years. My studio is in the house I built 22 years ago and after jumping into the video world several years ago I have found the natural light available to me here along with high end audio processing has made my endeavors a lot of fun: however I certainly am in the final chapters of my career and when the end comes I will be resolute in the knowledge that I did exactly what I wanted to do with the best gear available to me with the people I really wanted to work with. Life, for all of us, is a short trip and my goal has always been to maximise my talent within the genre i am comfortable with the best gear available and to deliver the best possible sonic SR to the folks that honor our efforts when they are seated in our audience. Clearly I have not optimized my oportunities to find fame or fortune within our industry: however I have been blessed in the fact that most, if not all, mornings when I get out of bed I look foward to what the day will bring. Hang in there tourtelot, your golden years are just arround the corner.
Hugh
Very well said, sir.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search