The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
opera with orchestra on stage
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

opera with orchestra on stage

Dear all,

I am conducting a wonderful opera (Orpheus by Telemann) in a staged version where the orchestra plays on stage and is part of the set/decor, as such that singers are playing in between the instrumentists etc.

It will be recorded by friends of mine (video), but I will be placing the microphones on beforehand during rehearsals to make a balance.
I attach a photo of the set and what I had in mind of doing. The stage director does not want any microphones or cables on stage (there is a lot of dancing involved) and hanging microphones is not an option because of other things coming down (disco ball, lights etc.).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._recording.jpg

At either side of the stage there are balconies where I could extend a very wide pair of DPA 4006s on boom poles. To cover the gap in the middle, I had thought about two DPA 4011s (or also 4006s?) on stands before the stage (I checked with the director, should be no problem, the first row of seats is not sold).
I bought a stereo set of 4060s with all accessories, which I would use to cover the back of the scene. Left side next to the orchestra seats, other side hidden behind the 'bed', hoping that this will work well (I have no experience with boundary microphones so far).
For the orchestra, given that some players are sitting behind that balcony wall and thus will not be covered enough by the mains, I would probably need to spot at least the violin section (behind the wall, no problem) and another microphone deeper on stage for the last rows where the choir is sitting as well.

What do you guys think?
The acoustics in the opera hall are quite good actually (also balance-wise), woud a stereo microphone in the room be of any use? I could hang a mid-side AT4050st for instance.

Thanks for any input, premiere is next week Friday, so I have enough time to think things through and enough rehearsal days to try and adapt!

Cheers
K
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Wow. That is quite a challenge both because of the limitations on mic placement and the depth of the stage in relation to the width. Not to mention the 'orchestra' off to one side like that. Where you show the CM3 spot mics, is it possible to get a stereo pair (e.g. NOS or ORTF) boomed out over the orchestra from a large stand hidden in the wings? For the front of the stage, boundary mics would work or maybe you could rig a wire between the Juliet balconies on either side of the stage and hang some mics? As this is outside the proscenium arch, you are unlikely to have any conflicts with flown disco balls, etc.

Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the quick response!
Boundaries in front were my first thought, but the singers go until the very last inch of the stage, which is why I opted for two stands in front of the stage.
A wire in front is impossible (orders from the director) because of light and projections........ Grmbl.......
The CM3 spots could indeed be a pair above the orchestra, good suggestion. If the light does not get in the way. Will check :-)
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
...Boundaries in front were my first thought, but the singers go until the very last inch of the stage, which is why I opted for two stands in front of the stage.
Yes, you would definitely want some kind of armour for your nice DPAs used as boundary mics if the singers work right up to the lip of the stage! Stands are safer, if the director doesn't mind.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear
Sounds like a great event...it would be great to do justice to it, even with the many limitations of the director.

Mirror ball, hey....now tell me, is it imperative that it must spin ? I'm guessing it might be used only in very limited periods of the performance, otherwise it gets boring very quickly for the audience (it's different if you're out there underneath it, in a club, dancing to 70's disco music !)

I tell you, if I was given that mirror ball overnight, it would reappear above the stage next morning looking virtually untouched, but.... I would do a complete FBI mic job on it...lol !

If you could get a Schoeps KFM-6 and stick mirrors on it, you could substitute it for the mirror ball....but no, because the ball has to turn.

I can think of another way of getting a spaced pair of omnis (if you can get hold of the tiny DPA 4000 series) in virtually an optimal location...by attaching stiff, thin wire (similar to steel coat-hanger) to the suspension of the mirror ball and then they would hang down on each side of the mirror ball, about 2 cms from the outer edge, left and right.

Then you just have to run a long stereo pair of mic cables from the ceiling above down to the mirror ball....see mirror ball picture, with badly drawn wire and DPA mics each side. They would remain stationary, even while the ball rotates.....

If the director will let you hang many smaller mirror balls above the stage, to enhance the effect, then you have multiple locations for suspended mics !

However, as Jim mentions and your photo shows, you ideally need multiple mic locations to cover the moving singers, and another pair at least covering the orchestra.

Really only PZM or turtle-shell covered (as photo) SD mics or else radio mics on the main singers are going to pick them up well ?
Attached Thumbnails
opera with orchestra on stage-s_kfm6_2.jpg   opera with orchestra on stage-mirrorball-dpa-mics.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

And here is the result.
Singer soloists are graduating students from the post-graduate (Master after Master) Opera Academy of Ghent, Belgium. The orchestra is mine, I am conducting from the harpsichord.

2x B&K 4006 with APE 50 from either side of the balcony as 'main pair' with hole in the middle
2x B&K 4011 at 1/3 and 2/3 in front of the stage as singer support microphones
2x CM3 in NOS above the orchestra -- harpsichord was picked up in the main pair already, so I put the NOS pair rather deep in the orchestra
2x DPA 4060 on stage (one behind the bed, another one at the right side of the orchestra for pickup at the bar in the back)

Cameras: 2x Panasonic Lumix 1000, 2x Blackmagic Pocket, and some GoPro try-out. All live, no cuts in the audio.

Mixed to taste and according to the needs. Very little of the 4060s is used as they turned out a lot brighter than the overall singer pickup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycNbGb4M75c

Enjoy!
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
And here is the result.
Singer soloists are graduating students from the post-graduate (Master after Master) Opera Academy of Ghent, Belgium. The orchestra is mine, I am conducting from the harpsichord.

2x B&K 4006 with APE 50 from either side of the balcony as 'main pair' with hole in the middle
2x B&K 4011 at 1/3 and 2/3 in front of the stage as singer support microphones
2x CM3 in NOS above the orchestra -- harpsichord was picked up in the main pair already, so I put the NOS pair rather deep in the orchestra
2x DPA 4060 on stage (one behind the bed, another one at the right side of the orchestra for pickup at the bar in the back)

Cameras: 2x Panasonic Lumix 1000, 2x Blackmagic Pocket, and some GoPro try-out. All live, no cuts in the audio.

Mixed to taste and according to the needs. Very little of the 4060s is used as they turned out a lot brighter than the overall singer pickup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycNbGb4M75c

Enjoy!
I enjoyed this very much! The video work is good and your sound is outstanding, even the "defects" in the vocal coverage serve the video production and likely give a truer representation of what an audience member would have experienced than a "perfectly" mic'ed singer.

My hat's off to the members of the production for having the ambition to stage this the way they did, and for doing such a good job in execution.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Korneel, I am listening to it as I type. Lovely recording. Great performance. Charming production. Bravo.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search