The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NTR Blumlein/M/S
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
That sounds really nice. How did you arrive at the mic stand position?
I got the ribbons to reduce the room signature and experiment with mid-side.

The stand position avoids reflections off the lid and some of the extreme left to right wandering of individual notes, particularly where the bass strings cross the tenor/mid. The treble is favored, but balances well without being too close. I did widen the sides slightly.

I used a little more distant, but similar placement for ab omnis in this recording of Summerland on YouTube.

Bazile
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
My question is why M/S and not Blumlein?
I have found that sweet spots can be a matter of an inch or two in height. The mid can take that place and the sides don't matter so much. With Blumlein there would be about 5-6" difference in vertical placement.

So I am just starting with M/S. Will try both at a greater distance. Just getting started with this.

Bazile
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
From the picture, seems like a (more or less) likely position for the pair. My question is why M/S and not Blumlein?

Oh and sandy. The Samar better show it's good side. A lot of money to pay if it only sounds like a Rode (just sayin )

I am trying it this weekend on chamber music in a good room. We shall see.

D.
Doug, I hope it works its magic for you. Earcatcher thinks it sounds good and he is critical of what works and what does not. I sent him some rehearsal tracks of the local chorale.

I hope to get out to record a bluegrass group on Thursday night that is semi-pro and were good the last time I heard them. They are missing their Dobro player who was very good but died suddenly. I cannot mic from in front so I will come in over the group and face the mic into them from maybe 7 or 8 feet high. I will use gaffer tape to hold the mic in place. I like the mic because it sounds good, to me, and is not overburdened with "color". I like the Schoeps philosophy that to get accurate sound is first, color can be added later. But if you start with a mic with a lot of color you just can't take it out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search