The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

What are you recording this weekend?
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac

What are you recording this weekend?

I've got the Tulsa Symphony with the Tulsa Oratorio Chorus performing the Brahms Requiem. This isn't really a remote recording, since I'm the house audio tech here at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center. But, it is classical music and will get broadcast over the local public radio station in about 4 weeks.

Main pair - 2x Neumann TLM 170R
Outriggers - 2x Neumann KM184s
Orchestra spots - 3x Neuman KM184s
House mics - 2x Neumann KM184s
Chorus Mics - 2x AKG C414-BULS and 2x C414-XLII
Soloist spot mic - Audio-Technica AT4050

Fourteen inputs total for this performance.

Protools HDX with Focusrite Red 4Pre and Red HD32R running on Dante with a Yamaha CL5 and a pair of RIO 3224D i/o racks.

Dress rehearsal with full orchestra, chorus and soloists.

Neumann TLM170R main pair, and KM184 house mics behind them

Sometimes, you gotta compromise your mic placement. Two AKG C414-BULS (inner pair) and two AKG C414-XLII (outer pair).

Our brand new Protools HDX rig. This is the fourth show that I have recorded with it, not counting rehearsals.

Tomorrow, I start editing and mixing. In between smoking some ribs for dinner.
Old 9th April 2017
Care to share the signal path from the mics to the recorder? Some going via the Focusrite and some via the Yammy stage boxes?
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Care to share the signal path from the mics to the recorder? Some going via the Focusrite and some via the Yammy stage boxes?
Nope, they are all going through the Yamaha RIOs. All mics into the RIOs and then onto the Dante network. From there they get sent to the console and the Focusrites, and the computer via DVS.

The routing in the Focusrite is a little squirrely, and I had to get a beta version of their drivers in order for Protools to see the Dante side of the 4Pre as the first 32 channels on the unit. Basically, the Red 4Pre works as a Dante to Protools HD bridge like the HD32R does, and when in that mode, only the first 32 inputs that you enable are routed to Protools. I have this system set up for 64 channels from Dante to Protools using both the Focusrite units.

I had a heck of a time getting it set up and had to call Focusrite several times. Turns out that the initial released firmware for the Red 4Pre only let you assign the last 28 channels of the 4Pre to Dante. With the beta software they allowed you to change the order of the inputs, which I reset Dante to be the first 32 input channels. Now the Focusrite units look like four 16-channel Avid HD I/Os and show up as such in Protools.

I think you can mix the mic inputs from the 4Pre and Dante, in a non 1:1 patch, but I haven't tested that yet.

My intention was to only use the 4Pre inputs if I needed to do a one off recording like a voice over or something without having to boot up the whole console and RIO racks. But that would be done via the Thunderbolt connection of the 4Pre.

This set up also lets me route the recording mics to house program feeds and the archive CD recording which happens live during the show.
Old 9th April 2017
Makes sense, thanks. I wondered if the Focusrites were overkill or just for protools - can Protools not take the bits in via DVS?
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Makes sense, thanks. I wondered if the Focusrites were overkill or just for protools - can Protools not take the bits in via DVS?
Yes, Protools runs great with DVS, but it limits you to only 32 inputs at a time when not using Avid hardware. The Focusrite Red 4Pre and HD32R fool Protools into thinking that they are Avid HD I/Os, thus giving me access to all 64 channels at a time on the Dante network.

Yeah, It's probably overkill, but well, that's what we do here.

And no, I've not done any shows here in my 8 years where I have filled all 64 inputs on the console. I've gotten up into the mid 40s, 45 or 46 iirc. But I want the wiggle rooms in case we get a show that requires it.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Nut

Bartok 'Contrasts', Ravel Quartet F Major, Tchaikovsky 'Souvenir de Florence'.
6 mics, nothing extreme.
Nice program nicely played.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear
Nielsen, Concerto for Flute & Orchestra
Liszt, Piano Concerto No.1 in E-flat Major
Saint-Saens, Organ Symphony No.3 in C minor

2-4 mics, nice room & good players
Old 9th April 2017
Please note:
The elevator at Hubbard Hall is out of service and will not be repaired in time for the concert on Sunday. We apologize for any inconvenience this problem will cause our audience.

Music from Salem
will present its
Spring Concert
on Sunday April 9th at 4:00 p.m.

The concert will be performed at
Hubbard Hall

A beautiful and fascinating afternoon of music for viola and piano and solo piano will feature the romantic " Fantasy Sonata" by Paul Hindemith, very much influenced by Brahms.

Two unusual pieces on this program are Phillip Glass's mesmerizing 15 minute work, Mad Rush, for solo piano, and Isang Yun's Duo for viola and piano. Though Yun, who tried to make cultural contact with North Korea, was sentenced to death by the South Korean Secret Service, and was given asylum in Germany, his virtuosic music is not discordant, but gentle and delicate, using infinitely varied permutations reflecting the natural world. The program opens with the melting melodies of Glazunov's Elegy for viola and piano.

(Yow, an ancient Civil War era hall with steep, rickety stairs... I think I will reconfigure my rig......)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search