The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for small recorders (for recording nature/city sounds)
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Recommendations for small recorders (for recording nature/city sounds)

Hiya,

I've got the Rode NT5 + big Tascam DR680 setup and I'm having fun with that, just wondering which of the more portable setups people recommend. I don't always wanna be lugging around mic stands, would just like something that I can carry around on a more daily basis. I was considering the Zoom h5, or is there another similarly sized kit with preferable sound quality?

Also, if anyone can recommend any small, possibly clip-on mics that would be compatible with, I'd love something subtle so I could just switch it on standing at the train station etc. Are there any that look like headphones? lol

Cheers!
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear

I've heard of several people using a pair of the tiny DPA 4060's attached to the sides of their glasses. Basically invisible setup and the 4060's sound great.

-Mike
Old 7th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I've heard of several people using a pair of the tiny DPA 4060's attached to the sides of their glasses. Basically invisible setup and the 4060's sound great.

-Mike
wow, that's cool! Thanks!
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
another option if using the NT5 with omni is to sew a little pocket into epaulettes on the shoulders of an old jacket or coat and slide the NT5's into them (you'd need a little gauze area to allow sound to pass into the membrane of the NT5.

Then you'd be a walking spaced-AB pickup device. Some careful routing of thin cables would make it all hard to detect.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for small recorders (for recording nature/city sounds)-jacket.jpg  
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

I like the Shure MOTIV MV88. When used with the Shure MOTIV App (it works with any audio app), your iPhone/iPad basically becomes a dedicated recorder. The sound quality is rather good because you only have 36db of gain to work with eliminating most noise problems. The source needs to be louder than you might expect though. If I had to list its three strong points I would say they are: design (extremely clever), practicality (easy to use, uses other iOS apps in untraditional ways), and sound quality (low noise, source needs to be louder than you might expect or you need to be closer to the source.)

There might be something better out there, but for $150, I do not know what it might be. I bought my MV88 and never really thought about buying other small recorders. If you do not have an iOS device, the MV88 will not help you out much.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
I like the Shure MOTIV MV88. When used with the Shure MOTIV App (it works with any audio app), your iPhone/iPad basically becomes a dedicated recorder. The sound quality is rather good because you only have 36db of gain to work with eliminating most noise problems. The source needs to be louder than you might expect though. If I had to list its three strong points I would say they are: design (extremely clever), practicality (easy to use, uses other iOS apps in untraditional ways), and sound quality (low noise, source needs to be louder than you might expect or you need to be closer to the source.)

There might be something better out there, but for $150, I do not know what it might be. I bought my MV88 and never really thought about buying other small recorders. If you do not have an iOS device, the MV88 will not help you out much.
I carry the MV88 with me routinely.
It's MUCH better than you would expect
for the price. If you have an iPhone then
try it. If you want something better than save up for a used SD702/722.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search