The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

I need an all rounder mic that can take a beating
Old 2nd April 2017
Here for the gear

I need an all rounder mic that can take a beating

Hi Guys,

I know thats not a description of a mic!
Basically I am traveling by boat and want to record artists (one at the time) on a "live" environment. My first project will be in Britanny recording a bagpipe artist. This will take place outside at the harbour. I need a mic that can translate all instruments equally well. A good all rounder! I'm looking at spending about 300-400€ for the mic.
What do you guys have in mind?
Old 2nd April 2017
Gear Head
Shure VP-88, used about $400 USD. Folks will always say "it's noisy," but if you have good preamps it won't be an issue. Plenty of "respected" mics used all the time that are just as "noisy." Great field mic, extremely flexible, and you can hammer nails with it!
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

EV 365 small durable and sounds pretty good... get two
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Shure VP-88, used about $400 USD. Folks will always say "it's noisy," but if you have good preamps it won't be an issue. Plenty of "respected" mics used all the time that are just as "noisy." Great field mic, extremely flexible, and you can hammer nails with it!
OP specifies rugged. The Veeper is probably one of the LEAST durable mics I've ever owned.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

For a directional mic, I recommend Sennheiser e914s. Ideally, you'd get a pair. They are decent all-rounders and are rugged. I've dropped mine (actually my son dropped them) and they still work fine.

And if you want a cheap clip for an ORTF setup, you can get the SRS Custom Microphone Mount here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q3...ionId=56869862

ORTF mount is only $35 US. Very easy to use.

-Tom
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Addict
Are you recording this to document/capture musical performances for listening and/or distributing later? If so, if at all possible, get a pair of mics, so that you can record stereo. Identical cardiod mics would allow you to do XY, ORTF, NOS recordings, etc.

Do you have a good quality preamp with phantom power? How about a recording device? If you give us more information about what you have and what kind of final product you are aiming for, we might be able to offer more appropriate gear suggestions.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
EV 365 small durable and sounds pretty good... get two
I believe @rogerbrain means the venerable Electrovoice 635A. And I agree that it is a very rugged but good sounding microphone. It is the modern heir of the "Buchanan Hammer".

The Electrovoice 664 was known as the legendary “Buchanan Hammer”. It is widely reported that Lou Burroughs would hammer nails into a piece of 2x4 lumber with the 664 and then demonstrate that it was still perfectly good.

I also agree with @Wyllys that the Shure VP-88 is NOT particularly "rugged" and I would hesitate to use it at the seashore, on board a boat, etc. It is as heavy as the old EV 664, but, like many Shure microphones, not designed to be particularly rugged. The popular Shure SM57-58 has several little, fiddly plastic parts and I have seen many with broken or missing parts. But then I was always an Electrovoice fan and regarded Shure as a lesser species. I will surely get flamed for that.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Richard...

I still use the VP88's on straight-to-camera video shoots, but I always have one more for a spare. Probably the best thing about them is that Shure just send me a new one every time one craps out on me. It just costs the return shipping. It seems that if they make it past the warranty period, then they're good enough...

Weird "quality control".
Old 3rd April 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you for your answers, there is quite a few vote for the Electrovoice 635a and I can get 2 for my price range. That sounds good!
At first I thought of taking a "film" approach with a shotgun mic, boompole, Rode Blimp & Dead Wombat but since it won't matter whether the mic(s) will be visible i thought I better get some advice from you guys first. I will record using a Tascam DR60.
@JoeDeF The recording will be for building up my portfolio, there will be a video of the artist posted on my personal YT account and a downloadable file for listening. I will aim for the best quality sound I can get out of my equipment.

Keep the suggestions coming,

Karl
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Note that what mics are popular depends somewhat on which side of the Atlantic Pond you live. There are old-line European mic labels that are likely equivalent to the old-line American brands we have been discussing. Since you have not revealed WHERE you are (in your user profile) we don't really know whether these discussions are relevant to you?
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Definitely a dynamic mic, especially if recording bag pipes and such.

Heil PR30?
Old 4th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Since you have not revealed WHERE you are (in your user profile) we don't really know whether these discussions are relevant to you?
I did write where I am in my bio. Not under location though. Its corrected now.
Old 4th April 2017
RPC
Gear Maniac

Shure SM-81. Decent sound and you can drive nails with the body. (I wouldn't try it with the capsule, though.) Available used for very reasonable prices. And if you haunt ebay for a while, you might find the rare and very pleasant sounding omni capsule.
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Maniac

My choice(s) would be two Shure SM57s (cardioid), and two EV 635As (omnis). . . you could get all four within your budget. Bring some windscreens if you're going to be working outside . . .

My reasoning here is that you'll be working with a stereo recorder, and won't have any time to experiment with different mic placements . . . so if "shooting from the hip", this lets you use all of the classical (near-)coincident techniques as the situation arises (i.e. A-B omni when ambience or flat LF response is required, X/Y for close/wide placement, etc. etc.) These techniques translate well across microphone types, so when you get back and review your results . . . you'll be able to translate what you like and don't like in the mic placement to your next endeavor, even if you upgrade your mics. Both these mics exhibit low handling noise, and legendary versatility, consistency, and ruggedness . . . and don't have to be in prestine condition to hold their value if you decide to sell them later.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I believe @rogerbrain means the venerable Electrovoice 635A. And I agree that it is a very rugged but good sounding microphone. It is the modern heir of the "Buchanan Hammer".

The Electrovoice 664 was known as the legendary “Buchanan Hammer”. It is widely reported that Lou Burroughs would hammer nails into a piece of 2x4 lumber with the 664 and then demonstrate that it was still perfectly good.

I also agree with @Wyllys that the Shure VP-88 is NOT particularly "rugged" and I would hesitate to use it at the seashore, on board a boat, etc. It is as heavy as the old EV 664, but, like many Shure microphones, not designed to be particularly rugged. The popular Shure SM57-58 has several little, fiddly plastic parts and I have seen many with broken or missing parts. But then I was always an Electrovoice fan and regarded Shure as a lesser species. I will surely get flamed for that.
yes I did mean that one ... my personal proof reader was off that day
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

You need a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930. Beyerdynamic offers super sound and is the successor to the Neumann KM84 in sound quality.

Rugged, small and admirable.
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
You need a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930. Beyerdynamic offers super sound and is the successor to the Neumann KM84 in sound quality.

Rugged, small and admirable.
And several times more costly than OP's budget. The Line Audio CM3 would be well within the budget.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search