The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rens Heijnis schoeps mode
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Head

I think the real winner here is the MK2 capsule!

Kidding aside, it's interesting how much more apparent to me the differences in the mono files are than the stereo ones.

When I had my DPA MMP-A bodies modded to the 6 pin, Li-Ion design, I had a set of stock MMP-A bodies. An A-B, mono comparison between the two bodies with the 4006 capsules revealed significant differences: of note was the black background of the modded body which allowed attack transients to come through clearly and effortlessly.

My test was non-scientific in the worst way: in addition to knowing which sample was which, I was recording things like the clink of wine classes and keys, etc. So, nothing musical in the conventional sense. Also, I was using Rens' preamp to power the modded DPA body, and so there were other discrepancies which may account for the differences.

I wonder, Ivo, what your impressions are as you continue to use Rens' modification on more material, including recordings greater dynamics and with more instrumentation.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to do these recordings.

I just placed an order with Rens for a Li-Ion battery box for my 4006s. His 502 preamp is a work of art, but I've found that I'm not using it for nature recording. It's just too big and bulky to hike with. This new box will fit in a backpack and provide 30 hours of recording time. Enorme!
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

I did spend some time listening on Beyerdynamic T51i headphones and heard a genuine and real difference. These are good quality portable headphones, but no where near the top top of the line.

The ability to hear the hammer strike the string and the overtones of the delicate sounds are much better rendered in the Rens mics. It is clear for anyone to hear.

Rosin on the strings is heard better in the modified body's pickup. All subtleties are rendered clearly by the beautiful Rens electronics and the stock body's sound sounds smeared by comparison.

For those reporting little difference in the samples, I suggest revisiting with headphones.

It's true--the Schoeps MK 2 capsule is the best mic capsule in the world.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
It's true--the Schoeps MK 2 capsule is the best mic capsule in the world.
It always amazes me that Jack Renner did so many of those early Telarc discs with just a trio of these mics, sans EQ even. A truly versatile and great-sounding tool.
Old 29th April 2017
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
Ah nice, by Simon Eadon, ex-Decca, no doubt a 2-mic "tree" and outriggers.

If I'm not mistaken, he uses mk2S diffuse-field omnis with APE balls when recording orchestra. Is that what you mean? Or has he switched to the flat MK2?

Tonight I'm using the same setup, but with MK2h center and MKh8020 outriggers. Should be a good one!

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 29th April 2017 at 09:20 PM..
Old 29th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Ah nice, by Simon Eadon, ex-Decca, no doubt a 2-mic "tree" and outriggers.

If I'm not mistaken, he uses mk2S diffuse-field omnis with APE balls when recording orchestra. Is that what you mean? Or has he switched to the flat MK2?

Tonight I'm using the same setup, but with MK2h center and MKh8020 outriggers. Should be a good one!
I went back thru my email thread. 2S is correct. No APEs. Nevertheless, listen to that record. It's sublime.
Old 4th May 2017
Lives for gear

Received my new Rens Heijnis Custom Built mic preamp last week. Used it on three recordings and a live radio broadcast.

This unit is two channel, 60 volt, running on lithium ion batteries.

Sound is mindblowed when combined with Rens Heijnis Custom Built Schoeps. Beautiful rendition of delicate harmonics with very full bass and lovely defined transients that start with precision.

This is my second unit from Rens and it is highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Rens Heijnis schoeps mode-rens-1.jpg   Rens Heijnis schoeps mode-orch-hall.jpg  
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

This is Schoeps MK2/MK8 Omni M/S, just two mics, rens heijnis mod and the same model preamp as plush is using there (mine has been modified to provide mid side internally with a push switch on the back) to Prism Lyra 2 in standalone, using the Sound Devices 744T as a recorder.
No eq or compression, but a tiny amount of reverb added at about -30db...
Attached Files

Cool of the Day Mix 2.mp3 (13.14 MB, 621 views)

Old 18th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
This is Schoeps MK2/MK8 Omni M/S, just two mics, rens heijnis mod and the same model preamp as plush is using there (mine has been modified to provide mid side internally with a push switch on the back) to Prism Lyra 2 in standalone, using the Sound Devices 744T as a recorder.
I really enjoyed your recording and the song. I am interested in the placement of the mics and the reverb used. I also enjoy very small amounts of reverb (-27.5 to -40) and find on a Bricasti it varies significantly by preset .
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Love it!
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
I really enjoyed your recording and the song. I am interested in the placement of the mics and the reverb used. I also enjoy very small amounts of reverb (-27.5 to -40) and find on a Bricasti it varies significantly by preset .
Hey, thanks a lot!
I'll write my life story here for an explanation of the placement, in case it helps anyone.

When I first tried recording her, I tried ortf and the spaciousness made the cello sound incredible or if I brought it in close enough the cello was ludicrously wide, with the bowing creating extreme left and right distracting overtones, but her relatively quiet singing was lost. Then I ended up using a wide cardioid (mk22) m/s technique and pointing it at her mouth and then the sibilance was awful and any attempt to control it ruined the cello sound, despite the balance being quite good.

I think the schoeps tend to be a little sharp on axis, so I've always been trying to point stuff slightly away from where it sounds most hyper-focused in headphones. Then I tried pointing the wide cardioid down at her cello and the vocal sound was excellent, but the cello sounded a little too close and there was strong bowing overtones audible.

Finally I tried MK2 on her, around neck height and pointed it slightly off axis down towards her chest and on the opposite side of the cello. The sound was as good as I've ever gotten, so I wheeled the vibraphone in until he was nicely balanced with the rest and it was done in the first proper take.

Ableton's max for live convolution reverb was used. I'd love to own a bricasti!
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey, thanks a lot!
I'll write my life story here for an explanation of the placement, in case it helps anyone.

When I first tried recording her, I tried ortf and the spaciousness made the cello sound incredible or if I brought it in close enough the cello was ludicrously wide, with the bowing creating extreme left and right distracting overtones, but her relatively quiet singing was lost. Then I ended up using a wide cardioid (mk22) m/s technique and pointing it at her mouth and then the sibilance was awful and any attempt to control it ruined the cello sound, despite the balance being quite good.

I think the schoeps tend to be a little sharp on axis, so I've always been trying to point stuff slightly away from where it sounds most hyper-focused in headphones. Then I tried pointing the wide cardioid down at her cello and the vocal sound was excellent, but the cello sounded a little too close and there was strong bowing overtones audible.

Finally I tried MK2 on her, around neck height and pointed it slightly off axis down towards her chest and on the opposite side of the cello. The sound was as good as I've ever gotten, so I wheeled the vibraphone in until he was nicely balanced with the rest and it was done in the first proper take.

Ableton's max for live convolution reverb was used. I'd love to own a bricasti!
Beautiful explanation of mic placement and the process.

Would you mind describing the room or do you happen to have a picture?

If you would like to hear the Bricasti on this recording I would be happy to make some passes if you care to make the dry WAV file available.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Beautiful explanation of mic placement and the process.

Would you mind describing the room or do you happen to have a picture?

If you would like to hear the Bricasti on this recording I would be happy to make some passes if you care to make the dry WAV file available.
I too would love to hear the sample through some Bricasti, simply as a curiosity.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search