The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Royer SF12 with fetheads vs SF24?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Royer SF12 with fetheads vs SF24?

Has anyone used an sf12 with fetheads? Is it worth it to spend the extra money and get an SF24? Any thoughts and experiences with these mics would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can't answer this question but I might be able to shed some light. I use the Royer SP12 with FetHeads pretty often and I like the way it sounds. About 27dB of gain, at least empirically, and the FetHeads don't add a lot of noise. I really hated the Cloudlifter pre-pre; it was noisy as hell.

That's all I got

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Doug. I quite enjoyed the sound of Jim laurel's sf12 we used in the recent $30k mic tests, even compared to my Schoeps. It seemed to have a very nice depth and 3-d quality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I use Fetheads with some modded Chinese ribbons (Apex 205s with new ribbons & Cinemags) and I like the combo. Wish I had some Royers...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not Fetheads, but a Cloudlifter !

I own 2 x Royer SF-12's.
When I use them with a loud source, such as room mics or drum overheads, electric guitar amps, then they don't require any extra gain.

But I often use a Cloudlifter when using a SF-12 on Acoustic instruments, such as Guitar, Cello, Mandolin, Violin, Upright Bass, etc.

Works very well in those situations.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Paul. I think you might be interested in comparing the Cloudlifter to the FetHeads. I think you will find a big difference especially on solo strings.

Just an .02.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
I did extensive testing on both when they came out. The results are here someplace. Using an Audio Precision analyzer I tested both completely. Both add 1 db of noise. Very quiet preamps will degraded that 1 db, less quiet preamps will benefit. The early Fethead did have a noisy connector, hope that was fixed later.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Jim - is there any reason to think the fetheads or cloudlifter change the tone or response of passive ribbons compared to using a preamp designed for ribbons such as the AEA trp?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I did extensive testing on both when they came out. The results are here someplace. Using an Audio Precision analyzer I tested both completely. Both add 1 db of noise. Very quiet preamps will degraded that 1 db, less quiet preamps will benefit. The early Fethead did have a noisy connector, hope that was fixed later.
Interesting to know. My experience was "by ear" and there was an audible difference in my samples; not to say I couldn't have had a defective Cloudlifter.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Doug - bwanajim mentioned another portable option - mogaines. Have you heard of those?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
My local pro audio dealer turned me on to the Mogaines made by Crimson Audio Transformers. They make a single channel version called "Mogaine" and the stereo version is called "Mogaines". I took the stereo one on loan from him for a couple of weeks and much preferred it to the Cloudlifter. Sound better, quieter, just better in every way. Never tried the FETHeads. Still prefer TRP/RPQ, but it's a nice solution for when you're on battery power with a field recorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Doug - bwanajim mentioned another portable option - mogaines. Have you heard of those?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Thanks Jim - is there any reason to think the fetheads or cloudlifter change the tone or response of passive ribbons compared to using a preamp designed for ribbons such as the AEA trp?
Depends on what the input impedance is set at in the mic pre front end. Transformer inputs are fixed at around 1200 ohms. Active inputs are around 4k ohms if there are phantom feed resistors used. Remove those and you can set the input impedance to taste up to around 1 meg ohms.

I suspect there would be a sonic difference feeding 1 meg ohms over 1200 ohms.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Mogaines transformer input is 3.3kΩ. From the Mogaines cut sheet:

"The Mogaine preamp is a phantom powered, fixed gain pre amp that delivers 25dB of low distortion, wide bandwidth, ultra quiet gain. It combines the noiseless gain of an input transformer with the impedance matching and drive capability of active circuitry. It allows you to dial back the gain on your mixer/pre amp to it’s happy place, and still capture every delicate nuance. The 3.3kΩ input impedance lets you hear intricacies you’ve been missing. Plug your favorite dynamic mic into it, and get that smooth dynamic mic sound with the sensitivity of a condenser mic."

Used the Mogaines on Monday in a cabin the snowy woods in Canada. Brilliant device. Way quieter than the Cloudlifter.
Old 1 week ago
I measured a 1 db of noise contribution of the Cloudlifter on my Audio Precision analyzer over not using it. I've not met many that can hear a 1 db noise difference. Maybe something else is happening?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Don't know what to tell you. The additional noise is plainly audible with the Nagra VI and HD800s. It's noise plus what sounds like very subtle RF interference. Both mono and stereo Cloudlifter exhibit the same characteristic. Mogaines, on the other hand...dead silent. And also twice the input impedance. The R88 sounds fuller, richer and well...bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I measured a 1 db of noise contribution of the Cloudlifter on my Audio Precision analyzer over not using it. I've not met many that can hear a 1 db noise difference. Maybe something else is happening?
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search