The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One Steinway, One pianist, One pair of Gefell M296s - feedback welcome!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

One Steinway, One pianist, One pair of Gefell M296s - feedback welcome!

Pair of Gefell M296 omnis, spaced 35cm, head-height, and set about 2m back.

I purchased these mics only a week ago from the Forum classifieds (thank you 'matt-o-'), so it was great to give them a first 'run-out' on a real job so soon!

I have very kind permission from the artist to share some short mp3 'excerpts' of this performance (Beethoven Piano Sonata #32 - Opus 111) for educational purposes.

I will almost certainly be recording this same piano in the same space again, so please pitch in with your comments & suggestions for improvement (apart from suggesting the venue get some non-squeaky chairs!) - I'm here to learn from the experts!

I've made 3 non-contiguous (sorry - can't do more!) samples to show off different aspects of the dynamic range of the performance and how the 'unusual' space behaves.

0'00" Brahms intro to warm up
1'06" Lots of strident bass end, ringing staccato chords, and fortissimo playing
2'35" Beautiful quiet ending section showing the lovely bell-like quality of the Steinway high end

(The file has not been treated or edited, other than for length - recording is straight out-of-the-box which was a Metric Halo ULN-2.)

PS By the way, you can hear this same Beethoven program by pianist Stephen Osborne given 'the proper treatment' by the BBC, live from the Wigmore Hall in London on Wednesday evening at 19.30 CET on BBC Radio 3.

PPS Big thank you also to Forum member John Willett who was incredibly generous with his patient advice to me - hopefully he'll pop in here to give his student a report card!
Attached Thumbnails
One Steinway, One pianist, One pair of Gefell M296s - feedback welcome!-img_3471.jpg   One Steinway, One pianist, One pair of Gefell M296s - feedback welcome!-img_3474.jpg   One Steinway, One pianist, One pair of Gefell M296s - feedback welcome!-img_2338_4392.jpg  

Last edited by James Lehmann; 4 hours ago at 09:11 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

I really liked your recording, and a very good performance too. Every time I hear a recording with these mics, I find that they have a very appealing natural character with a feeling of presence and aliveness. Would like to try a pair someday.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Very nice. Sounds like your in the room.
Old 2 days ago
Very very nice
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Hi James,
the recording sounds really nice! Very balanced and authentic.
I am glad you put the microphones to proper use. I did not have too much opportunities to do recordings with them. So I am very glad, they come to full use now in your hands. It hope one day we will meet in person for a cup of coffee or tea!

The landscape around the concert location looks beautiful as well.
Good recordings and have a nice week.
Matthias
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

The lack of a real hall is a problem but the sound is very good and appealing.
I like the piano and the timbre. Nice work!

I have always wanted to try these mics ever since Jerry Graham (Gotham USA) told me about them when they first came out. He mentioned that the design goal, started by him, was to create a modern M50 with the M296 mics.

They are a noble lesser known microphone.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Thank you all very much for all the lovely and encouraging comments - I am much heartened to know that I made a reasonable fist of recording this concert, helped of course by having such a terrific musician and a top-drawer instrument in front of me.

Co-incidentally, by broadcasting the the identical program last night from London's Wigmore Hall those nice folks at the BBC have provided a very interesting A/B comparison.

Not often one gets to do a shootout with the BBC!

BBC Radio 3 - Radio 3 in Concert, Steven Osborne - Beethoven and Brahms

On a purely musical level, I encourage you to enjoy the complete performance (I could only post snippets), but if you're interested in comparing the sound with my non-contiguous excerpts in the Soundcloud clip above, the equivalent BBC times are below:

1:13:36 (Brahms intro to warm up)
1:19:19 (Lots of strident bass end, ringing staccato chords, and fortissimo playing)
1:35:32 (Beautiful quiet ending section showing the lovely bell-like quality of the Steinway high end)

Obviously it's miles from a proper A/B - the performance, piano, miking, space are totally different - but still, it's fun to hear.

Enjoy!

James

PS I'm not sure if BBC iPlayer Radio works outwith the UK - I think it does (unlike iPlayer TV), but I daresay many of you have VPNs set-up for when you're working abroad in areas of the planet where the internet is restricted.

PPS I think the BBC put stuff up for 30 days after which the link may be taken down.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 3 hours ago at 09:58 AM..
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search