The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
visible mic stands..the bane of the videographer's existence ?
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Maybe the quick, over-simplistic conclusion is that audio and video just don't belong together
I dig that.

I don't go around saying this to clients, as everyone loves video these days and I know it's incredibly unhip of me, but honestly I think most video and lighting is a waste unless done in a very creative and theatrical manner that's integrated into the show.

Ever since I was a kid I would instinctively close my eyes at concerts so I could focus on the music.

Same thing when I really want to listen on my studio speakers—I want to relax and focus on the sound, not glue my eyes to an annoying screen I already spend too much time looking at.

If I'm listening more casually, I'm on headphones on the train not wanting to watch a video on my phone or I'm doing other things in the space where my speakers are, again not glued to a screen.

At live shows, I usually find myself wishing they would just turn the lights down to a cozy level and stop playing with them. I know projection mapping is very hot these days (I have a friend making serious bank doing it) and this post makes me sound thirty years older than I am but blinky lights just don't do anything for me emotionally.
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Here's perhaps the ultimate, not that anyone's complained about it to my knowledge: the fishing line tethering a suspended AB pair in a hall (pulling it back into the hall a couple feet, rather than strictly above the conductor ) shows up on zoomed-in still photos taken from above the stage, glowing in the lights just like a spider web.
It's particularly thin monofilament too....!
This happens quite often when dealing with television or opera stage lighting...the normal natural colored mono-filament really catches the light. I carry about a half-dozen different color fine thread, fishing line and picture hanging cord in different dimensions. My goto favorites are the Berkley Fireline smoke colored fused braided line and #1 , #2 , and #3 picture hanging cord.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
I dig that.

At live shows, I usually find myself wishing they would just turn the lights down to a cozy level and stop playing with them. I know projection mapping is very hot these days (I have a friend making serious bank doing it) and this post makes me sound thirty years older than I am but blinky lights just don't do anything for me emotionally.
Try making any decent photos with lighting that changes in intensity, direction, and color temperature every 2 seconds...or that comes in at an angle that makes every performer look like a ghoul.

So yes, I wish they'd stop playing with the lights, too.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Head
Yes, we live in an increasingly visual world. Just about everybody is staring at a mobile phone or texting, often ignoring their kids who are asking questions or trying to make conversation. The art of listening is now being lost.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
Yes, we live in an increasingly visual world. Just about everybody is staring at a mobile phone or texting, often ignoring their kids who are asking questions or trying to make conversation. The art of listening is now being lost.
This is a dangerous truth for all of us.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

My 23 old niece literally starts sweating and gets all jittery if she is more than two feet from her phone.*Imagine her surprise when she started working at a fast food restaurant and they said she had to leave her cell phone in her car. She goes out to her car during breaks and "keeps up with the world". I was eating out at a nice restaurant and across from us was a family of four. I assume a mother, a father and two teenagers. Each was on their cell phones the whole time they were eating dinner. In my world - not cool. At one point someone asked another person for the salt shaker and without looking up from their phone they reached over and handed the salt to the requester. That is the only conversation I heard throughout their meal. My parents would have never allowed that but there were also no cell phones when I was growing up.
Old 21st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
.... but there were also no cell phones when I was growing up.
One of the completely innocent but consternatingly embarrassing moments of my 11 year old life was in a restaurant, I was carrying my portable slung-over-the-shoulder radio as usual (which my parent's had gotten me, obviously, or leastways approved of peripherally) and the thing's timer alarm must have been mis-set because suddenly

THERE WE WERE WITH THE BOOMING RADIO ANNOUNCER'S VOICE ANNOUNCING SOME BOOMING RADIO THING IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OTHERWISE TRANQUIL RESTAURANT SCENE

and even though I reacted with lightning speed to dim the level and shut it off... my mother glared at me, proving your point, in those days attention diverted from the camaraderie of the meal at hand was a serious social transgression. Times change!
Old 21st April 2017
Someone mentioned music stands, which got me thinking. What do you suppose would happen if the videographer asked to have the music stands moved?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear
Then they would be asking for hair and makeup work on the musicians no longer hidden behind a forest of music stands.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
Someone mentioned music stands, which got me thinking. What do you suppose would happen if the videographer asked to have the music stands moved?
easy: Drum Solo !!!!
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
The musicians would all have to put their cellphones on floor- mounted selfie sticks...and read the score off those (or tablets).
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The musicians would all have to put their cellphones on floor- mounted selfie sticks...and read the score off those (or tablets).
have had that happen with iPads on stands ...
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's perhaps the ultimate, not that anyone's complained about it to my knowledge: the fishing line tethering a suspended AB pair in a hall (pulling it back into the hall a couple feet, rather than strictly above the conductor ) shows up on zoomed-in still photos taken from above the stage, glowing in the lights just like a spider web.

It's particularly thin monofilament too....!
I use dark-coloured braided line. Monofilament scares me for a number of reasons - not just its luminescent properties:

It stretches, is prone to melting, knots slip more easily, a small nick in the line could weaken it dangerously. Braided nylon line has proven itself to me time and again - both in the concert hall AND in the fishing boat

Cheers.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search