The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best tracking converter
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It was never a mystery that only a few companies supply chips to converter manufacturers.

I'm not worshiping at the altar of brands or of pictures of the insides of a piece of equipment.

Your post is interesting for those people who do not realize that the converters listed use the same engine. I bet some posters didn't know about that. But I don't think that manufacturers are trying to trick people into believing they developed everything in house.

I'm trying to talk about the forward march of better sounding converters which get us closer to the sound of the line out from our analog consoles or Rens Heijnis equipment.

It is FOR SURE that curious engineers who keep up with new products are noticing that recent converter design is getting better and better--on a march towards transparency. And progress without resorting to gain-staging!

Certainly, as a goal, transparency is NOWHERE NEAR met yet, but progress towards that goal is certainly noticed here at my place.

We all know that it is the design surrounding the chip that makes the difference.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
We all know that it is the design surrounding the chip that makes the difference.
If this is what we all know, then why do you make the obviously false claim that "There have been vast improvements in a/d chips, ..."? You're blowing a lot of smoke into this discussion with your last post, making assumptions of things that were never claimed here. I was trying to help others to understand what makes a difference in judging what makes a converter sound good. Don't trump the debate into some stupid ego-battle!

DAD AX24 is a design from 2007, by the way. And "the next step on the way to total transparency" QES Labs PAD-2 uses an AD chip from 2006. So it even seems the cutting edge AD-converters of this moment preferably use OLD A/D-chip designs to get their best sound.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

No, not a battle of any sort. I was just posting an educated opinion. Don't seek drama where there is none.
Old 4 days ago
Seems to me that there's a semantic difference, depending how "converter" is used...
If "converter" is the analog electronics from the input all the way to the output of the actual A/D chip (essentially the entire device)... then I side with Plush - I believe there have been improvements in the devices.
If "converter" is the A/D chip itself, then I disagree - the actual chipsets used have been optimized for quite a while.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Gotta consider the whole box, right?

D.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Gotta consider the whole box, right?

D.
Of course you have to consider the whole box, but you may be reading this post of mine once again, to see that recent developments can only be partial improvements, at best: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12740745-post26.html

The whole point is that highest quality A/D-chips were already available ten years ago and analog stages could have been as good as they sometimes are in new designs, because the tech was already available. Only clock technology has really become more affordable for a serious stepup, compared to older designs. So, the engineers who went out of their way ten years ago with their analog design will not be bested by current designs, although a newer clock may make a jump forward in matters of transparency and naturalness. Claiming that recent A/D-chip development and somehow "new" technology in the analog stages is the cause of a current jump forward in converter quality (the box) is therefore not correct. There have been many designs though that simply were "good enough" at the time and we now want them replaced by better designs in search of the ultimate sound. Many parties try to jump into that niche of needs with new boxes, that are for the most part built out of known tech. In that sense Plush and I agree (there are more better converters now), but we have different stories of what the new boxes consist of and whether it would be possible to use an "old" converter and make it sound "new". Clear now?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

.....and what about designs like the RME ADI-2PRO? RME specifies it can run both AD and DA at a max sample rate of 768kHz.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
.....and what about designs like the RME ADI-2PRO? RME specifies it can run both AD and DA at a max sample rate of 768kHz.
What is the possible benefit to those sample rates? I don't see any or hear any. They might improve the stock price of HD makers.

My guess is they used new chips that have the ability to run at those rates so why not. More equals better for marketing so yeah just add that on.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
What is the possible benefit to those sample rates? I don't see any or hear any. They might improve the stock price of HD makers.

My guess is they used new chips that have the ability to run at those rates so why not. More equals better for marketing so yeah just add that on.
This rate seems to be for the Measurement crowd who wished for up-to 384khz response.

So, it just might be science and not marketing.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Super clock rates sound great. I use them with my DAD converter.

384 KHz. clock recording sounds liquid and flowing with no edge to tone.

Filters acting far above audible frequencies makes a big difference.

Can use MAGIX daws, (Sequoia and ProX3) Acoustica, and Pmix to record this way.
Old 1 day ago
I am enjoying the Merging Pyramix setup with DXD project mixdown [352.8k] sounds noticeably wider and broader/larger than 192K. As does 384K sampling rate.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search