The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1/2" condenser Blumlein stereo, Comments
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

1/2" condenser Blumlein stereo, Comments

There are ribbon Blumlein and large condenser Blumlein. But I didn't see any single piece 1/2" condenser Blumlein stereo. This could be the first one. Comments welcome. The mic is B9audio CSM88.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear
I have to say, the best part for me was the applause at the end...it's the section I share the best mental reference point with.

The extreme left right separation is, of course, what one would expect with the choral array you have there...and noted that the ambience from the left was reproduced on the right and vice versa, which I assume is a typical Blumlein thing ?

Where was the microphone located, in relation to the ensemble/conductor positions ?

As close-sounding as it was, I enjoyed the experience, it conveyed the sense of 'vocal density' or each section well.

However I look forward to further examples of more conventional performances...orchestral, quartets, piano and voice, solo violin etc..if that is possible ?
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

This is a whole mix with other microphones. Center is the Blumlein stereo with flanking. There're a lot of spots in the orchestra.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I have to say, the best part for me was the applause at the end...it's the section I share the best mental reference point with.

The extreme left right separation is, of course, what one would expect with the choral array you have there...and noted that the ambience from the left was reproduced on the right and vice versa, which I assume is a typical Blumlein thing ?

Where was the microphone located, in relation to the ensemble/conductor positions ?

As close-sounding as it was, I enjoyed the experience, it conveyed the sense of 'vocal density' or each section well.

However I look forward to further examples of more conventional performances...orchestral, quartets, piano and voice, solo violin etc..if that is possible ?
This is a traditional choral arrangement. The mic is a close-up setting at about 4 meters above stage and 2 meters away from center, as I have the main stereo further away.

A simple recording of string quartet in rehearsal room of 14/10/4.1 meters. Mic center about 2 meters away.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
There are ribbon Blumlein and large condenser Blumlein. But I didn't see any single piece 1/2" condenser Blumlein stereo. This could be the first one. Comments welcome. The mic is B9audio CSM88.
In that situation, a pair of spaced omnis could help unify the stereo image as opposed to exaggerating the localization/separation of the two choir halves with the Blumlein array. But I'm interested to learn more about the fig 8 capsules used in the mic.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
In that situation, a pair of spaced omnis could help unify the stereo image as opposed to exaggerating the localization/separation of the two choir halves with the Blumlein array. But I'm interested to learn more about the fig 8 capsules used in the mic.
Yes, spaced omni pair is very good. But added with a center omni and make it Decca tree is another popular form. Replace the center omni with a Blumlein stereo allow more possibility in post. It could be pure mono center, or can be changed as MS with variable S level.

The capsules are precision made and match pair. How do you like their quality in the video?
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Really like the size of the B9audio CSM88. I love the sound of ribbons on vocal ensembles but hate the fragility of ribbons in general when they need to be transported to and used in "real-world" venues (as opposed to in a studio).

What is the price-point on this mic, and how would you describe the sturdiness of it vis a vis location work? Is there a guarantee on the ribbon?

D.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Just came to think, this might not be a ribbon mic after all. Rectangular condenser?

Looks like the price is $800.

D.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The capsules are precision made and match pair. How do you like their quality in the video?
I can't comment accurately on the quality of the mic capsules from listening to this clip. I'm interested though to know more about the fig 8 capsule, such as the technical specs and design details. Is it single-ended asymmetrical, single-ended symmetrical, or push-pull, what is the frequency response, self noise a-weighted and sensitivity, and any other technical info. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Addict

The exaggerated 'S' sounds are quite distracting in my opinion.
I would love to have a good blumlein small condenser mic setup, my favourites are the Sennheiser mkh30 pair and Schoeps mk8 pair.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Yes Doug, you're right. But not rectangular, it is circular condenser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Just came to think, this might not be a ribbon mic after all. Rectangular condenser?

Looks like the price is $800.

D.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Typical Blumlein, always possible to control the S in post. This CSM88 is similar to Schoeps MK8 capsule. I cannot compare it to MKH30 since I did not use it before.
The size of CSM88 is about the same as 2 SCHOEPS CCM8 stacked together, but with single end connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrovolt View Post
The exaggerated 'S' sounds are quite distracting in my opinion.
I would love to have a good blumlein small condenser mic setup, my favourites are the Sennheiser mkh30 pair and Schoeps mk8 pair.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Sensitivity about 10mV/Pa, noise at 18dBA. You can find the spec by google it.

Quote:
I can't comment accurately on the quality of the mic capsules from listening to this clip. I'm interested though to know more about the fig 8 capsule, such as the technical specs and design details. Is it single-ended asymmetrical, single-ended symmetrical, or push-pull, what is the frequency response, self noise a-weighted and sensitivity, and any other technical info. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Typical Blumlein, always possible to control the S in post. This CSM88 is similar to Schoeps MK8 capsule. I cannot compare it to MKH30 since I did not use it before.
The size of CSM88 is about the same as 2 SCHOEPS CCM8 stacked together, but with single end connection.
Sorry, I meant to say 'ess" as in sibilance. They jump out quite clearly, a bit too much for my taste.
Old 12th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This clip is a pair of spaced omni (2 meters across) with CSM88 at 25cm in front of the center line. Piano spot is a pair of omni spaced at 30cm.
https://www.facebook.com/2010quietti...7161857669903/
Old 13th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This clip is a pair of spaced omni (2 meters across) with CSM88 at 25cm in front of the center line. Piano spot is a pair of omni spaced at 30cm.
This recording has serious problems, the most unusual of which the volume level seems to fluctuate between the channels, reminds me of old cassette recordings. I wouldn't use it to promote the mic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Simple straight 2 track rehearsal recording, Shostakovitch String Octet with CSM88:
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search