The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

RedNet AM2 Dante with Merging Horus AES67
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

RedNet AM2 Dante with Merging Horus AES67

Hi Folks,

I am owning a Merging Horus and I would like to add a monitor controller such as the Focusrite RedNet AM2 in a Pro Tools 11 / Macbook configuration and use the Horus as a stage box.

Will it work is the question?

Gaston
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

I do not believe that Dante and Ravenna play well together. I think the answer is "no."

D.
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I do not believe that Dante and Ravenna play well together. I think the answer is "no."
AES67 compliance allows interconnection of Dante and Ravenna.

"The purpose of the AES67 standard is to tie several existing protocols together to create an interoperability specification. The goal of AES67 is that every audio device can eventually connect together with a standard IT network, and share audio."

"The AES67 standard provides interoperability recommendations for professional quality audio networking in the areas of synchronization, media clock identification, network transport, encoding, streaming and session description."
Old 8th October 2016
I've been working with Dante lately, and I don't have any AES67 experience yet, but I'm not hopeful that you'll be able to just interconnect Dante and Ravenna boxes until things have matured... a lot.

I am, however, still curious - the AM2 is a 2-channel DANTE output (DA) device, and the HORUS is a line-level I/O box with AD/DA abilities. How would you hook these up to ProTools? Does ProTools have Ravenna support natively or do you need additional software?
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

Producer.com supports ravenna and looks like the ticket for you but not on dxd and dsd rates
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaud View Post
AES67 compliance allows interconnection of Dante and Ravenna.

"The purpose of the AES67 standard is to tie several existing protocols together to create an interoperability specification. The goal of AES67 is that every audio device can eventually connect together with a standard IT network, and share audio."

"The AES67 standard provides interoperability recommendations for professional quality audio networking in the areas of synchronization, media clock identification, network transport, encoding, streaming and session description."
Hello Reynaud,

It's exactly what I have been reading in https://www.audinate.com/faq-catagories/aes67 however before spending money (again) i would like to get some real life experiences from working with Dante/AES67. As some people already mentioned here it might be not without bugs!?
The D.O.Tec Producer.com with it's remote control is absolutely fabulous (worked 2 years with it in a Madi setup) and Merging Hapi would most likely also do the job however the Focusrite is less then 500 Euros while the above mentioned solutions cost at least 5 times as much or more.
By the way I like the small footprint of the Focusrite ;-)

Maybe I should get one and try to hook it up, if it works it is a no brainer if not then I will return the unit :-)

Cheers

Gaston
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
I've been working with Dante lately, and I don't have any AES67 experience yet, but I'm not hopeful that you'll be able to just interconnect Dante and Ravenna boxes until things have matured... a lot.

I am, however, still curious - the AM2 is a 2-channel DANTE output (DA) device, and the HORUS is a line-level I/O box with AD/DA abilities. How would you hook these up to ProTools? Does ProTools have Ravenna support natively or do you need additional software?
Hello Tim,

The Merging Horus works fantastic in Pro Tools and the mic-pres (sounding fantastic) can be controlled within PT (midi controlled), also it has all sorts of connections such as AES67 Ravenna, Madi, AES etc
Old 12th October 2016
Gear Head

Hello Gaston69,

Afaik the AM2 is built on the Audinate Dante Ultimo chip which does not support AES67 so I doubt you will have any luck with it.

What I suggest you use instead is this one: KLANG:quelle - 4 Channel Dante™ Network Headphone Amp - KLANG:technologies. This is based on the Audinate Dante Brooklyn II card which supports AES67. I have tried it succesfully against various Ravenna/AES67 equipment, incl. certain Swiss products ;-). If you look in the blog on the KLANG website, you will find an extensive guide on how to set it up for AES67. One thing to be aware of is that in AES67 mode it only supports 48 kHz.

Cheers,
Jan
Old 12th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpjl View Post
Hello Gaston69,

Afaik the AM2 is built on the Audinate Dante Ultimo chip which does not support AES67 so I doubt you will have any luck with it.

What I suggest you use instead is this one: KLANG:quelle - 4 Channel Dante™ Network Headphone Amp - KLANG:technologies. This is based on the Audinate Dante Brooklyn II card which supports AES67. I have tried it succesfully against various Ravenna/AES67 equipment, incl. certain Swiss products ;-). If you look in the blog on the KLANG website, you will find an extensive guide on how to set it up for AES67. One thing to be aware of is that in AES67 mode it only supports 48 kHz.

Cheers,
Jan
Thank you for posting this. That's a nice headphone amp and I'm pleased that they offer 8 input channels

Glad to hear that the real world experience with AES67 has been positive too.
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

First of all thanks to all of you for your input and sharing your experience.

In the meantime I also found this which might be interesting as well?

uNode M42 - cymatic audio

High-quality analog front end for AES67 and Ravenna audio networks
4 high-quality remote-controllable microphone inputs
Zero clicks when changing gains
Individual phantom power
Microphone (XLR) and line (jack) inputs
2 balanced line outputs
Level indications for all audio I/Os
MIDI I/O with activity LEDs
Local controls for link, gain and 48V setup
All parameters remotely controllable (Android, iOS, Windows, OS X)
Rugged 19” 1U half-rack housing for live applications
Old 16th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpjl View Post
Hello Gaston69,

Cheers,
Jan
One update - the Ultimo chipset WILL support AES67 in a future firmware update, according to the Audinate guys teaching the level 2 class in Pittsburgh last week.
Old 1 week ago
Question follow up

Hi, It's been 6 months. Did you have any progress with this? I'm curious what the limitations are too, running a Ravenna network here. Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I looked into this issue pretty deeply, as I am also considering a Hapi for use as a stage box. Every idea is a kludge with drawbacks. In the end, I concluded that the easiest way was to just get a second Hapi for the control room. No option cards needed for the Hapi. Just connect your DAC of choice. I have an old Benchmark DAC1.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
In the end, I concluded that the easiest way was to just get a second Hapi for the control room. No option cards needed for the Hapi. Just connect your DAC of choice. I have an old Benchmark DAC1.
WHy do you need an outboard DAC at all? The onboard two channel Hapi headphone DAC will support up to 192KHz PCM.

Last edited by tailspn; 1 week ago at 08:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I suppose you're right about that. Just makes it easier in a control room scenario where you may be alternating between headphones and monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
WHy do you need an outboard DAC at all? The onboard two channel Hapi headphone DAC will support up to 192KHz PCM.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search