The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam DR-100 MKIII
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I have two of them. They work well and sound great. I just recorded 14 concerts with them and the client was well pleased. Good unit!

Hey Thomas. Thanks for the report. Do you use external mics? Or the built in? how are the built in mics in your opinion? thank you for any reply.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

AKG Blue line cardioids as external microphones. I have never used the internal mics.
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwise View Post
So what about the internal mics on DR-100 mkIII? I've heard that those on mkII are quite noisy and not as practically usable for recording quiet sources. I wonder if there's any step up with mkIII in this regard.
Here's a link to a short recording I made on my piano with the "UNI" internal mics on the DR100MKIII. The record level was 16.0 for both channels. The DR100MKIII was placed on the centre of the music stand laid flat and aimed toward the tail. It's a 24/96 wav file.

https://app.box.com/s/4hnp9kk60bxpb2nx3wrsi5gbaxjytab1
Old 5th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Here's a link to a short recording I made on my piano with the "UNI" internal mics on the DR100MKIII. The record level was 16.0 for both channels. The DR100MKIII was placed on the centre of the music stand laid flat and aimed toward the tail. It's a 24/96 wav file.

https://app.box.com/s/4hnp9kk60bxpb2nx3wrsi5gbaxjytab1
Thanks so much!!

It sounds quite good, a lot better than I would have imagined. Low self-noise and no harsh distortion. I can imagine it being useful for certain applications.

Having said that, now I'm wondering whether to save up and buy DR-100mkIII or grab a second hand mkII for $150-200.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Addict

No one has mentioned it but I did a brief test of the 100mkiii fed through it's digital input. I used an Audient Mico Pre which has an Spdif out. Set both units for 96khz and recorded some voice and room noise for about 20 minutes. It worked perfectly, no glitching or dropouts.. I hope to try it on some acoustic music recording later this month.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

I've just bought mkiii today. There is something that seemed weird to me. As seen on the photos, on both side of the recorder there are bumps on the surface of the material. Is that normal? Does yours also have them?
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam DR-100 MKIII-20170119_185046.jpg   Tascam DR-100 MKIII-20170119_185016.jpg  
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairun View Post
I've just bought mkiii today. There is something that seemed weird to me. As seen on the photos, on both side of the recorder there are bumps on the surface of the material. Is that normal? Does yours also have them?
Yes, I have exactly the same bumps on mine. I guess they make the surface of the unit a bit less slippery to hold onto.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Then I assume every unit is the same. Nothing to worry about then. Thanks!
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Then I assume every unit is the same. Nothing to worry about then. Thanks!
I think they're probably all the same. No worries. Enjoy the recorder!
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
I think they're probably all the same. No worries. Enjoy the recorder!
I will, but I'm still thinking if it was worth paying 140 Euro extra over a Zoom H4N Pro

There's also Zoom H6 with 15 euro cheaper price tag (I paid 360 for Tascam), any comparisons?

And this is my first portable recorder. I bought this for foley & sound design purposes. I'm planning to record some quite sound sources from close distance. I was thinking if the fixed angle uni mics will be a problem for close miking. H4N provides adjustable angle. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Rairun; 20th January 2017 at 09:40 AM..
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I will, but I'm still thinking if it was worth paying 140 Euro extra over a Zoom H4N Pro

There's also Zoom H6 with 15 euro cheaper price tag (I paid 360 for Tascam), any comparisons?

And this is my first portable recorder. I bought this for foley & sound design purposes. I'm planning to record some quite sound sources from close distance. I was thinking if the fixed angle uni mics will be a problem for close miking. H4N provides adjustable angle. Any thoughts?
That's a big price difference. I have no experience with the Zoom H4N Pro. It may depend on how the audio will be used. If it's going to be buried in a film soundmix, the Zoom may be adequate.
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear
saw this on Youtube... goes into some detail on the mkiii features (tho not the ADC)

here's the reference manual info on the ADC filters...
Quote:
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/...m_va%20(1).pdf

FIR digital filters
These filters have an established reputation for audio quality. They feature a tonal quality with both dense rich reverberations and crisp sounds.

SHORT DELAY digital filters
These feature tonal qualities that are close to the original sounds. The starts of sounds and the reverberations are natural without any pre-echo in the impulse response.

• FIR1 A FIR digital filter with a sharp roll-off that sharply cuts signals outside the audio band is used.
  • FIR2 A FIR digital filter with a slow roll-off that gently cuts signals outside the audio band is used.
  • SHORT DELAY1 (default) A SHORT DELAY type digital filter with a sharp roll-off that sharply cuts signals outside the audio band is used.
  • SHORT DELAY2 A SHORT DELAY type digital filter with a slow roll-off that gently cuts signals outside the audio band is used.
Old 10th June 2017
Here for the gear

Hi guys, sorry if I'll tend to go a bit off-topic, but not too much because my doubt includes the DR100mk3.
I have a decision to take about buying a piece of gear for foley and field recordings, I mean a recorder+mic kit to record both close-up sounds indoor (the sighs of a man, the sounds of his steps, of his clothes, etc.) and also the sound field outdoor (that for my needs doesn't mean capturing a particular bird far from me, but simply capturing the sounds around me at a good quality). For both purposes I finally narrowed my choices into just 4 options:
a) Tascam DR-70D (Busman mod.) + AudioTechnica AT4053B (S/N 78dB);
b) Tascam DR100mk3 (built in parallel mics, S/N 102dB);
c) Tascam DR100mk3 (Busman mod.) + AudioTechnica AT4053B (S/N 78dB);
d) Sony PCM D100 (built in 90-to-120° mics, S/N 98dB).
What is, in your opinion the best choice for sound quality (that's my priority)?
Sony D100 is so practical being an all-in-one solution, and declares a S/N ratio of about 100dB that's fantastic for my purpose. Probably the two tiny mics are not the best for classical piano music... but consider that I need it mainly for sound-effects recordings.
On the other hand, Tascam DR100mk3 could be a great competitor: I don't know the spectrum quality of the built-in mics, but it declares a S/N ratio even better than the Sony D100, and it has the 2 XLR preamps (that should become hi-end with Busman replacement) that makes this piece of gear perhaps more flexible.
There is also the option of Tascam DR-70D + an AT4053B. I should suppose that this is the best sound quality option, but the S/N ratio of the mic is only 78dB...
So actually here the questions are two:

1. Which is the difference (for audio quality) between DR-70D and DR100mk3?

2. Which is the best option for sound quality, in your opinion?
-Sony D100?
-Tascam/Busman DR100mk3 with built-in mics?
-The same DR100mk3 + AT4053?
-Tascam/Busman DR-70D + AT4053?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 11th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrjork View Post
So actually here the questions are two:

1. Which is the difference (for audio quality) between DR-70D and DR100mk3?

2. Which is the best option for sound quality, in your opinion?
-Sony D100?
-Tascam/Busman DR100mk3 with built-in mics?
-The same DR100mk3 + AT4053?
-Tascam/Busman DR-70D + AT4053?

Thanks a lot for your help.
I only have a DR-70D (unmodded) so can only comment on that. I really like it, but there's a few things that might be of interest to you.

-The display is very small. Bring your glasses when you're recording.
-I'd read the battery life isn't the greatest, so I bought the AC adapter. Last time I used it with an MD441, and I plugged it into a multiple-plug extension with some lighting and I got a bit of buzzing in the background, which I blame on the multi-plug extension cord. So avoid doing dumb stuff like I do.
-Tascam specifies certain SD cards to use, which they may also do with their DR-100. No big deal.
-The thing is menu-driven and is very easy to use.
-I really like that it attachs to my tripod and my camera screws into it from above. I run the audio out of the DR-70 to my camera's audio in to help with syncing audio/video.

You may also want to check out the DR-70 threads on Tapersection. They're very long!

I like it a lot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

i can't find anywhere how to overdub on tascam dr-100 mk3.anybody has an idea about that?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search