The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Using the Sonosax AD8+ to frontend the 788T
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Addict

Thank you so much Earl. I missed that note in their earlier newsletter. Thanks for digging it up!

Since you have access to a SX-R4+ can you please tell me if the pan function is implemented in the recorder itself or does one need the fader board ala the 788T?

Thanks again,
Baithak
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Nut

Hello Baithak. I don't yet own a SX-R4+ but intend purchasing soon However, no current feature is dependent on external control. You might want to read through the documentation. In addition there's an older video of the UI (albeit before fader modes were introduced), and of course the unofficial SX-R4+ thread.

All the best.
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

SX-R4+ on order here from Trew, hopefully will have it in next week. Testing soon to follow...took a lot of back/forth deciding among Sonosax/SD/Zaxcom, but the Swiss were just too enticing .

No pan on the SX-R4+. Only L/C/R assignment to record tracks.
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Addict

Congratulations Michael.

The lack of continuous pan is a disappointment but that is also the case with the bare 788T. Look forward to your report regarding the sound quality (especially if you check it out with ribbons!).

Earl, thank you for pointing me to the JW Sound link for the recorder. Most useful reading.

Baithak
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Nut

Compliments to you, Michael! I'm really happy for you, but I'll be a lot happier for me

Baithak, have you seen this interview with Mr. Pierre Blanc? 08:13 - "The overall fader range goes up to 120 db"
Old 8th October 2016
Here for the gear

Baithak,

For what it's worth, I am a 788T user and I record with a Royer SF-12 (passive) ribbon mic. I use it with the AEA TRP preamp that is designed for ribbons. I can tell you that my Royer sounds noticeably better through the AEA preamp than the SD's. This is not to denigrate the SD's preamps which are excellent. Sorry I don't have more scientific observations -- not sure how much of it is down to the much higher input impedance vs the extra 8 dB or so of gain on the AEA.

In short, and to amplify other comments here, I think if you're using ribbons (especially) the differences between mic/preamp combinations are likely to be a much stronger influence on the sound than the difference between converters. I think you will get a bigger improvement from an investment of $800-$900 (for 2 channels) in something like the AEA than from a several thousand dollar investment to front-end the 788's converters.

I hope this helps..

Carlos
Old 9th October 2016
Gear Addict

Thank you Carlos

Dear Carlos :

Thanks for your comments and bumping up the thread.

I would use my Millenia pres with the Royers when recording in the studio but it is not convenient to lug an external pre unless it is easily battery operated, on my remote gigs.

As I said in the first post, I found that the Samars sounded "much better" with the Nagra VII than I have experienced with SD machine. If all I needed was two channels, I would go with VII. But, I usually put up a Schoeps pair too and when I have very little time for setup have a Soundfield mic (which needs 6 channels) - so I really do need 8 channels to cover all the possibilities.

By the way, MRHUGHES, if you are still tracking this thread, how did your testing of the SX-R4+ turn out? Eagerly awaiting your response.

Thanks,
Baithak
Old 14th October 2016
Gear Maniac

interested in the results of this, so bump.
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear

SONOSAX SX-R4 is crippled to a 20 dB loss in USA
135 dB (A-weighted) overall dynamic range from analog input to recorded file (114 dB (A-weighted) dynamic range with USA version)
Something to do with the method by which Sonosax achieved the reported extended dynamic range on the inputs infringes on the Zaxcom patent for NeverClip
Sonosax SX-R4+ - Page 19 - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP
Zoom recorders have more dynamic range, and I ain't buying them.
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear

My experience with the Royer SF-12 was that, unless I was using it with dedicated "ribbon" preamps, there was never enough gain to use it to capacity.

I have an AEA TRP and it achieves a really good result. I have two channels in my Millenia setup (by the factory) for ribbons and it is also awesome. The preamps in the 788T, while remarkable, were never designed to deliver the noiseless gain that a ribbon mic needs.

For me, that leaves two choices; 1) an active ribbon microphone like the SF-24 or 2) a preamp designed with ribbons in mind.

Full disclosure, I have an SF-12 and a TRP for sale in the classifieds.

D.
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
135 dB (A-weighted) overall dynamic range from analog input to recorded file (114 dB (A-weighted) dynamic range with USA version)
Something to do with the method by which Sonosax achieved the reported extended dynamic range on the inputs infringes on the Zaxcom patent for NeverClip
Sonosax SX-R4+ - Page 19 - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP
Zoom recorders have more dynamic range, and I ain't buying them.
I think that you are doing Sonosax a disservice. Do you know how enormous a 114 dB dynamic range is?

You could always order yours from Pinknoise Systems in the UK. They will provide the full fat version.
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I think that you are doing Sonosax a disservice. Do you know how enormous a 114 dB dynamic range is?
You could always order yours from Pinknoise Systems in the UK. They will provide the full fat version.
You are wrong again Plush. Sonosax makes great products. Cannot purchase R4+ with 135 dB dynamic range outside of USA then import into USA without having an illegal machine and lawsuits. Caveat emptor
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are wrong again Plush. Sonosax makes great products. Cannot purchase R4+ with 135 dB dynamic range outside of USA then import into USA without having an illegal machine and lawsuits. Caveat emptor
You can do it easily. Or order from Areitec in Paris.
Let's get back to the important question! The machine as supplied in the US is not crippled. It has a tremendously large dynamic range.

May I have your opinion on that?
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Don't do it! The Nagra police will come after you like dogs, pack you up in a beautiful matte finished aluminum van and take you to a fanatically clean secret prison in the Swiss Alps. You'll never be heard from again.

D.
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
You can do it easily. Or order from Areitec in Paris.
Let's get back to the important question! The machine as supplied in the US is not crippled. It has a tremendously large dynamic range.
May I have your opinion on that?
Am considering purchasing, but wouldn't use the analog inputs, only AES42 for digital microphones. Does it offer mode 2 control? The SD 788T can input four AES42 mics, but only mode 1 control. From your experience with Neumann's digital system, would the Sonosax need a couple DMI-2 interfaces

Last edited by surflounge; 15th October 2016 at 07:53 PM..
Old 17th October 2016
Gear Addict

Should not affect the devices that would buy in India

Quote:

Thanks, yes I am aware of this controversy. but does not affect devices sold here. I am told that the "fix" is reversible so I am sure a comparison would be possible between the two settings.

Just a small request to the naked Nagrites and sincere SDs that we get the thread back to discussing about the quality of the SONOSAX pres/conversion and possibility of using it as a front end to the 788T.

Gracias!
Baithak
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear

will you need a "user interface" with the SD788?
(also, I am jealous you get 135dB)
Old 18th October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
SONOSAX SX-R4 is crippled to a 20 dB loss in USA...
You could just move to another country. It's worth the extra 20 db
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Certainly is a unique product, portable 8 pres + ADC, battery operated, 135 db A-weighted dynamic range. Curious to know how the pres sound. Is it built to connect directly to the 16 track Sonosax recorder, but not directly to other recorders? From the product info it looks like the ADC does not do 44.1 kHz. A less portable option is the Audient 880.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

If that 20dB is really that important why not order from a European seller and make it clear that you want the European model? Noyz Boyz in Holland are a good and reputable shop I have dealt with.
Old 6th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
If that 20dB is really that important why not order from a European seller and make it clear that you want the European model? Noyz Boyz in Holland are a good and reputable shop I have dealt with.
doggonit, don't make me buy you a steak at Jocko's and convince you that plugins on computers sound like "stomping on broken glass" compared to excellent hardware gear.

P.S. already bought a Aaton Cantar X3 (no computer for mixing, direct sum from outputs)
Old 6th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
doggonit, don't make me buy you a steak at Jocko's and convince you that plugins on computers sound like "stomping on broken glass" compared to excellent hardware gear.

P.S. already bought a Aaton Cantar X3 (no computer for mixing, direct sum from outputs)
OK, let's go down the list:

Yes, you are right, at present hardware is better than software.

Yes, you can buy me a steak at Jocko's. Sheesh, I still have pics of the fellow who was pitmaster at the turn of the century. He started there when he was 15.

I'll buy you dinner at Jocko's, excuse myself to go to the bathroom, steal the Aaton out of your car and drive back to Oregon. ;o)

Good luck with that machine. I am an unabashed francophile and have a lot of respect for what they can do. I am sure the X3 will be as good as it looks, and it looks like Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Ya better beam me up Scotty. Yes, I know I am mixing my movies but it seemed appropriate. X3, you lucky dog.
Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
OK, let's go down the list:
regarding solar powered non-computer recording and mixing Eventide H9 vs Bricasti
Gearslutz Albino Schipperke
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Addict

Connection to Mac with single Ethernet Cable

Just saw this August Newsletter from Sonosax about the AD8+ with the announcement of a new option card.
https://www.sonosax.ch/sononews-august-2017/

This would make a very nice location rig (if you are into recording with a computer). BTW, I checked with Sonosax and it has the 135 dB full version implemented even for the US (the patent issue apparently only covers the recorder).

After much thought over the past year- and waiting to see SD's next move, I have finally placed an order for the whole shooting match - AD8+ and the SX-R4+ to eventually replace the 788T recorder which has been mainstay for almost a decade now. Will be picking it up mid-September in person from Lausanne.

Biathak
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you for the info news
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search