The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quantec Yardstick users, please!
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Nut

Quantec Yardstick users, please!

Seriously considering purchase of Quantec 2492.
Any experience using Yardsticks for classical production?
Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Norm
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Nut

Didn't use for a long time now, but remember it being wonderful for classical production.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

The QUANTEC series are the ultimate reverbs for classical. Completely natural and with no artifacts. Mindblowed.

I am using the 2492 here with incredible results.

Make sure you set up the remote controller. The front panel is a cumbersome way to get to all the settings.

Talk to Dr. Almuth Buchleitner and order yours direct from the factory today.
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks, Ifrit and Plush!

Very inspiring comments.
Emailing to Quantec

Regards,
Norm
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Make sure you know beforehand when it ships, sometimes it takes a while. It is a really nice reverb though. But i also use Flux verb all the time nowadays
Old 26th June 2016
Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I had one on demo and ended up sending it back. I often find myself wanting to augment an existing room sound, and my experience was that the Yardstick didn't play well with others. It seemed like it might be pretty nice if one were starting with a completely dry track. But tweaking it to work with an existing room sound was difficult. It probably didn't help that the user interface is straight out the 1980's.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I had one on demo and ended up sending it back. I often find myself wanting to augment an existing room sound, and my experience was that the Yardstick didn't play well with others. It seemed like it might be pretty nice if one were starting with a completely dry track. But tweaking it to work with an existing room sound was difficult. It probably didn't help that the user interface is straight out the 1980's.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Hello David,

I sure do agree with your post. I think the great strength of the QUANTEC is using it as the only sound on the recording. Starting from the beginning with it or choosing to swamp already present hall reverb with QUANTECSOUND is what it is best at.

Working with the front panel for adjustments is quickly tiring. They have a new web based remote that looks odd but works very well.

With QUANTEC you have to buy in to the QUIRK.
It is super sophisticated and super specialized straight outta Munich.
Old 27th June 2016
The samples on the website seem to lay it on rather thick, completely washing away natural ambiance, rather than enhancing anything appropriately. I was wondering if that was just the way the reverb acts or if it was their heavy handed application. Is sounds like from Plush's description, both might be true.

I usually reach for a reverb that enhances what is there and does not add its own "sound". Flux Verb does a great job with that. Most of my clients come back and ask for more because they do not notice it is there. Sometimes, though, a reverb scrub is the only way to go to make some rooms listenable.
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Yardstick sounds digital. Analog reverb would blend much better with pre recorded room sound. Look into springs, chambers,plates and BBD reverbs. All the best

p.s. After spending over 20 years looking for good sounding digital reverb for classical music applications, I quit and use only analog reverbs this days. Very happy and no desire to go back.
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Nut

Colleagues, thanks a lot for your input!
Just some thoughts by my side.

I'm currently using different devices and plugins for different situations and context - Flux, Altiverb, M7, rarely Lexicon, but I feel there is a room for something else. And some of Yardstick demo files are impressive indeed, for example very large spaces, organ etc. Though it's difficult to predict how these simulations mixes with the actual spaces and venues, music and artists.

Unfortunately no analog reverbs survived here around, so this is not an option for me. But thanks for an idea!

And one more thing: this thread about Quantec communication with customers with good and not so good experience:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...ight=yardstick

Also my email to them remains unanswered so far...

All the best,
Norm
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

call them and ask wat's available and try to get a discount ;-)
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip1 View Post
Yardstick sounds digital. Analog reverb would blend much better with pre recorded room sound. Look into springs, chambers,plates and BBD reverbs. All the best

p.s. After spending over 20 years looking for good sounding digital reverb for classical music applications, I quit and use only analog reverbs this days. Very happy and no desire to go back.
Greetings, Phillip1,

Your opinion is the first I've heard from anyone saying the Yardbird sounds digital. Certainly I have never found that to be the case. It is so natural sounding.

A plate is real cool and I know that it can work in many situations.

My friend at dspDoctor in Boston, Adam Brass, sells the Pluto Plate. It sounds incredible and is built new right today.

For those having trouble reaching QUANTEC, they are a very small operation. They will get back to you. Better to use the telephone. Talk to Dr. Almuth Buchleitner at QUANTEC.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Which analog reverbs? EMT plates? What else?
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Which analog reverbs? EMT plates? What else?
The analogue only Bricasti M200 should be interesting.
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaud View Post
The analogue only Bricasti M200 should be interesting.
Analog only in the sense of available I/O. It is a digital reverb with a bit of analog help.

-Casey
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Analog only in the sense of available I/O. It is a digital reverb with a bit of analog help.
Thank you for the correction. Seems I completely misunderstood.
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Nut

Welcome to my studio, 2492!

With the very kind help by Roland Storch from Adebar Acoustics Yardstick arrived with no problems at all. I'm out of studio for some days and haven't tried the unit yet, but waiting with impatience to learn more about this great piece of equipment.

Thanks, Roland!

All the best,
Norm
Old 16th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm@gear View Post
Welcome to my studio, 2492!

With the very kind help by Roland Storch from Adebar Acoustics Yardstick arrived with no problems at all.
Great!

It'll be neat to hear the impressions of a first-time user, if you do care to share.

I've got the 2492 on my short list as well, as much for creating convincing environments for sound pieces as for more conventional music.
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Nut

Yardstick is fantastic.

I can not agree that user interface and operating is somehow difficult. The concept is different so the menus and parameters are different, they can not be the same as in most reverb units/plugins out there.

I can not resist to post one of my all time favorite contemporary string orchestra pieces here. It was recorded in a small rehearsal room with 21 member orchestra, then processed with Yardstick.

No other processing or electronic instruments used

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/n6rpts

All the best,
Norm
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear
somehow they don't react on phonecalls or emails.
I've given it up to ask for a demo unit.
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
somehow they don't react on phonecalls or emails.
I've given it up to ask for a demo unit.
Contact Roland at Adebar Acoustics.
adebar acoustics, wiesbaden
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Wolfgang Buchleitner died

Wikipedia's article says:
Wolfgang Buchleitner (known as "Wolf" Buchleitner, born Wolfgang Schwarz) (born June 25, 1954, died July 2016) was a multifaceted German artist, equipment designer and inventor. Buchleitner was the head and catalyst of the Quantec ProAudio enterprise.

Does anybody knows, is it true?

Regards,
Norm
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If true, this is very sad news. I got to know his wife Almuth over the years, seeing her at the trade shows. I have reached out to her to offer my sympathies. If I do hear back, I will certainly let this thread know.

):

-Casey
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I did not hear about his death. My condolences to Almuth. A great mind has left us.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your empathic words.
Wolf's spirit will continue in the work of Quantec.

Almuth
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

My deepest condolences.
So sad..

N.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Very sad news indeed.

My deepest condolences to Almuth.

One of the pioneers and a great mind has left us. All the best to Quantec.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search