The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new UK mics...Aston
Old 5th March 2017
Gear Head

I was thinking that I may have faulty line feeds or too much cable length between the mics and the pres, but when I replace the Aston on the same line with any of my other condenser microphones the noise goes completely away. I've sent an email to Aston, but haven't gotten a response yet. I will update this post as soon as I do. I hope it's something that's correctable because I love the Hell out of this mic.
Old 18th March 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Anyone used these for drum overheads or drum room mics?
Tried them out on a recent album recording with my band, mostly just to try 'em out (had settled on something else originally).

Short version: They remained on the stands, on every track. They suited the music perfectly, being a little darker, smoother than many other LDCs.

I actually got a little "ribbon feeling".

Chain: Aston Origin (spaced pair) --> Warm WA-412 --> Focusrite Clarett 8PreX
(no compression or eq on the way in)

I also used them for lots of bright electric guitars on these sessions, and I will try it out on vocals as well.

Love these mics!
Old 13th June 2017
Here for the gear
Any updates to the noise problems? I'm interested in these, however noise would drive me bonkers, would love to actually HEAR this things. A lot of you are posting about it and talking about it, yet there are no audio files here to listen for ourselves....
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

The Origin is included in the Sweetwater 50 mic shootout. There's a thread here on GS. I'll give you an idea how it faired against some other well regarded mics.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline1226 View Post
Any updates to the noise problems? I'm interested in these, however noise would drive me bonkers, would love to actually HEAR this things. A lot of you are posting about it and talking about it, yet there are no audio files here to listen for ourselves....
Just got a new pair to listen to instead of the pre-production models I got so long ago. I haven't been reading about the noise. I'll have to check for that.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have two Spirits and they record at completely different levels no matter how I switch them and the cables around. One has an annoying static sound and the other records clearly. The one that works properly is absolutely amazing. I have brought the bad one in to exchange it, but was told it was working perfectly fine. I just want two microphones that record at the same level for overheads and I am hoping someone who has dealt with the same problems could maybe help me out? Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
I have two Spirits and they record at completely different levels no matter how I switch them and the cables around. One has an annoying static sound and the other records clearly. The one that works properly is absolutely amazing. I have brought the bad one in to exchange it, but was told it was working perfectly fine. I just want two microphones that record at the same level for overheads and I am hoping someone who has dealt with the same problems could maybe help me out? Thanks!
If I were you, I would not take the "it's working perfectly" line. I would take both mic's in and tel them to compare the recording levels on both and that then they will see the bad one is bad. If the bad one is indeed within specs, then that would suggest their tolerances are not very tight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
As you say you bought it in to exchange I guess you're talking with a dealer rather than Aston....you might try contacting them direct, I'm sure they'll be more helpful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
As you say you bought it in to exchange I guess you're talking with a dealer rather than Aston....you might try contacting them direct, I'm sure they'll be more helpful.
Agreed...it's a new (less than 2 years old) company, wanting to make a (good) name in the marketplace, and perhaps (being generous) still wrestling with quality control issues ? Give them a chance to put their best foot forward by notifying the company direct...they may put you in touch with a local dealer to facilitate repair or (hopefully) exchange.

By contacting the head office, it puts the company on notice...this may not be the first such incident...and assists them to put their house in order, also addressing your particular issue at source, and most likely in the fastest time also.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I directly contacted Aston regarding my mics and their service was excellent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I received my Origin from musiciansfriend. There was a faint high pitch squeal. Tried it with different cables, interfaces, and inputs, and still the same faint squeal, even with gains set to zero. Tried other condensers along with it and they didn't have that problem.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrec View Post
I received my Origin from musiciansfriend. There was a faint high pitch squeal. Tried it with different cables, interfaces, and inputs, and still the same faint squeal, even with gains set to zero. Tried other condensers along with it and they didn't have that problem.
Either you got a lemon, or maybe you are using a crummy interface that isn't providing enough phantom power to the mic. Some mics work well with little current and 24V, some have weird high-frequency noises. This is a surprisingly common problem, and mics like the U87 are very often worse than cheaper mics.

What device are you using?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Either you got a lemon, or maybe you are using a crummy interface that isn't providing enough phantom power to the mic. Some mics work well with little current and 24V, some have weird high-frequency noises. This is a surprisingly common problem, and mics like the U87 are very often worse than cheaper mics.

What device are you using?
I used it on a Heritage 73jr mic pre through Lynx Aurora, UA LA 610 MKII through Lynx Aurora, Focusrite Clarett, and Presonus Audiobox USB. Also tried different xlrs and different mics, including U87 AI and a $100 ST31. The Origin was the only one with that faint high pitched noise. The package musiciansfriend shipped it in was severely damaged though and wasn't packed good at all. So it's a possibility it was damaged on their end, but in any case I already returned it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search