The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cymatic UTrack 24
Old 18th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Any comments re the on-baord conversion of the UTrack 24?
Yep, just what is this thing made of? Part numbers are informative to those that can understand them.
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Nut
From the SOS Magazine review by Hugh Robjohns...

Quote:
The A–D and D–A conversion for the 24 analogue channels is courtesy of Cirrus Logic CS42448 codecs, which combine six A–Ds and eight D–As in a single chip. Cirrus describe these devices as being intended for entry– and mid–level devices, such as home theatre and ICE equipment, and the specifications reflect that level of performance. We’re talking here about AES17 dynamic range figures around 102dB (A–weighted). In strict numerical terms, this is quite low compared to most modern interfaces, which are typically around 115dB (A–weighted) and upwards, with the very best reaching the 122dB mark or higher.

However, in the context of live–sound tracking, the slightly reduced dynamic range capability of the uTrack’s converters certainly isn’t going to be the quality–limiting factor, and I had no concerns whatever about the converter noise–floor in practice in that context. Whether the same can be said when using the uTrack 24 as an interface for studio work comes down to expectations and the quality of the studio — but given the uTrack 24’s cost and versatility, I think it is a perfectly reasonable compromise for Cymatic Audio to have made.

Having said that, the THD+N figures on inputs and outputs were very respectable at around 0.005 percent, and overall the converters sounded clean, quiet and neutral, with no obvious coloration or tonal flavour of their own. The rear–panel monitor and headphone outputs are both derived from a separate dual–channel D–A converter based on an AKM AK4430 chip, managing an AES17 dynamic range figure of 103dB (A–weighted). Again, adequate for the intended purpose, but nowhere near state of the art.

The maximum input and output levels via the D–Sub connectors are +20dBu, while the headphones and monitor outputs are 6dB lower at +14dBu. The frequency response is ruler-flat from about 8Hz to just under half the sample rate, as you would expect.
Quote:
As an interface, the uTrack 24’s converters don’t come up to the technical performance of most, and there are no mic preamps or instrument inputs, but the quality is more than good enough for the majority of practical applications, and this operating mode is a very useful addition to the machine’s versatility. The Windows software and drivers installed without issue on my Win7 64–bit studio machine, and I was able to operate with 64 sample buffers very reliably. Accessing the individual inputs and outputs from all of the DAWs I use (Reaper, Audition and SADiE) was straightforward using the ASIO drivers.

Overall, then, the uTrack 24 is a well–conceived and well–implemented product, priced very attractively, and offering a great deal of versatility. A great many future upgrades are planned which will enhance its capabilities further, and I get the impression that the core functionality and usability is also being improved and honed as user–feedback builds. It’s not the last word in audio quality or technical specifications, but it wasn’t designed to be either! It is a very solid performer delivering way–better quality than is required for the intended live–sound applications, and I feel sure we’ll be seeing a lot of Cymatic Audio’s rackmount recorder at live events all over the world from now on.
Cymatic uTrack 24
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

There is an epic discussion over on the GeekSlutz forum....
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geek...ps-listed.html

It appears to show that some gear regarded as "high-end" uses the same converter chips as "low-end" gear.
Which would seem to indicate that
1) It is the quality of the design and construction of the surrounding analog circuits that makes the greater difference.
2) The "quality" of the chips does not correlate with what the popular perception of audio quality actually is.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

The box does have Ravenna, as was mentioned, in addition to MADI. I would think Cymatic would consider Dante as well, since many users of this box might be working in live or installed sound situations that speak Dante commonly (at least around here). Mackie makes a Dante addon card for their cheap DL32R that costs a few hundred, it seems like Cymatic could do this too in the same format as their addon MADI card.
Old 19th March 2016
My old 2002 Alesis HD24XR has way better converters than this box uses. That seals the deal for me.
Old 19th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
My old 2002 Alesis HD24XR has way better converters than this box uses. That seals the deal for me.
So far the only guy using this thing professionally around here (Plush) is bypassing the convertors and just using it as a MADI bit bucket. That's what I'm most interested in too, in my case a MADI or Dante pickoff from a FOH console. As Mr. P mentioned, expecting high end audio conversion from a device this cheap is unrealistic.
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I used one of these as a front end/converter/backup to a DAW (via ADAT) and it was rock solid! However, Dante would "seal the deal".
Old 22nd March 2016
Here for the gear

Old 22nd March 2016
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

utrack24 Transport protocol

Hi Dan
I have a simple question:
I need to use two u24 units in a live environment, the first one is the main unit (I use only 9 tracks), the second one should be a spare unit with the same channels of the first one. The signals are connected both to a Radial SW8 switch and DI box, using one db25 connector each (8+8 channels). The 9th channel is coming out from the first unit only, and the track is a simple 1 KHz tone, feeded from out 24 (I have a second db25>TRS connector for this signal).
The main problem is to send to both devices the same transport command (play and stop), also if the two devices are not exactly frame synced. If the first device fails, the second should continue to play (and the Radial SW8 switches the signal to the second device).
The question is this one: how could I send the same play stop transport command to both the devices? I don't like to use the external play/stop jack to perform this, I prefer to use the main device as master player using his front controls or also a computer connected in wifi or better, via rj45 cable (seems not possible, but maybe using a router I could connect two devices to one computer.....)
The only thing I've see, is the received ip address and the port (55000), using Wireshark and the uRemote app, but I don't have other protocols data about the transport commands. Note, I can program my own software using MaxMSP to perform this kind of task.
Can you help me in any way? Many thanks. Italo Lombardo (keepsound-at-tin.it)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Hi there Keepsound, thanks for checking in.

I can't think of any way, off the top of my head, to send a duplicate play command to two units at once. However, one good place to pose the question would be on Cymatic's uTrack 24 specific support forum at uTrack 24 - Forum Cymatic Audio - cymatic audio

The questions posed there are answered by Laszlo, one of the Cymatic staff, and he is extremely knowledgeable about the deeper capabilities of the unit and ways to make it work in specific use cases, especially with new features that have been added by newer firmware updates over the last couple of years.

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steinberg View Post
Hi there Keepsound, thanks for checking in.

I can't think of any way, off the top of my head, to send a duplicate play command to two units at once. However, one good place to pose the question would be on Cymatic's uTrack 24 specific support forum at uTrack 24 - Forum Cymatic Audio - cymatic audio

The questions posed there are answered by Laszlo, one of the Cymatic staff, and he is extremely knowledgeable about the deeper capabilities of the unit and ways to make it work in specific use cases, especially with new features that have been added by newer firmware updates over the last couple of years.

Thanks!
Thank you Dan, I'll post the same question to the Cymatic Audio Forum!
Italo
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search