The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

upgrading on a budget.....need some advice Mixers (Analog)
Old 27th December 2006
Gear interested

Talking upgrading on a budget.....need some advice

Hi guys, I've been hanging around for a while but this is my first post. I have a little bit of cash and want to upgrade my very modest mobile rig, but am not sure where to start. I have about $1500 to work with, maybe $2000.
Right now I am running a a&h mixwizard to an HD24. I have these wierd 8ch. A.R.T. limiters I am running too because that's all I could afford. I am using a horizon splitter and my snakes and cables are of poor quality.
I want to get those limiters out of the signal chain, so I was thinking about maybe a digimax 96 since the limiters are built in. But then I have been searching old threads and seen some people claim to not need limiters. Can I do without? Also would the A/D in something like the digimax or onyx be better than the HD24? I record in very small clubs, so i was thinking that if I had some pres with a digital out I could have them onstage sometimes and skip the horizon splitter and feed the FOH with the analog outs. I know that might not sit well with some FOH engineers but like I said before, these clubs are tiny and might be cool with it.
But, I should really get some decent cables too.......
what do you guys think? thanks in advance for your help!
Old 27th December 2006

Why and how are you using the limiters? On each channel? Most people try to keep as clean a signal path going in as possible. If you need compression then add it later in post. Your (good) gain structure will thwart preamp clipping. Is this for your band or are you focusing on recording the entire length of the show? You mention recording in clubs, and I assume that most have their own FOH console. You may not need a mixer, but if you have to supply the FOH console then the Onyx is perfect for your needs.

I don't think your onstage preamps will go over well, especially not in small clubs. Most house guys won't know what to do with it, and the ones who do won't like it. Plus, you'll have to have balanced TRS outputs on your converters/preamps, which may or may not be common (I never use that feature so I'm not really sure).

You should first figure out what you don't like about your setup. You didn't mention anything negative about the MixWiz/HD24 setup. Do you not like going to HD? Do you want to record straight to DAW? If you're happy with your recording setup then don't change it. Buy some new cables/fix the bad ones, maybe buy some good microphones, etc.

Of course, you could always buy my Onyx 1640 and be very happy with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search