The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Discussion Highlights

RCA 77D? Are there other options?

...Hank Williams, Mel Torme, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, The Mills Bros, Lefty Frizzell, Elvis, etc. all sang into - the RCA 77D. Virtually all the music I listen to and play is old-school - honkytonk country, swing jazz, blues, etc.. I want that beautiful, warm, silky sound for my recordings. I'm aware that these...

View Post

Anyone seen this Weight Tank yet?

...go. (my fault. going to fast and not thinking "mix" while recording) I recorded the Vln with a RCA77DX - and it was already a dark instrument - and with the dark mic, it just is defying all my efforts to get it to sit well in the mix with a bunch...

View Post

What would you buy first, second and third?

...order in which I go. The list: 1. Pultec eqp-1a 2. RME Fireface 400/800 3. Sebatron Vmpquadplus 4 4. Coles 4038 5. Tube tech CL1B 6. RCA 77D 7. EV 635a 8. EV RE20 This is the chronology I'm thinking (with 6 months to a year between most items, though some things I might get simultaneously). Here's what I already have: 1. RCA Varacoustic...

View Post

Product Description

The RCA Type 77-DX Poly-directional Microphones MI-4045-F and MI-11006-C are high-fidelity micro*phones of the ribbon type which may easily be adjusted to obtain a variety of directional patterns. Since the MI-4045-F micro*phone is primarily intended for broadcast use, it is finished in satin chrome and a low-gloss umber-gray enamel. The MI-11006-C micro*phone is intended for television use and is therefore com*pletely finished in a low-gloss umber-gray enamel which eliminates glaring reflections usually seen on highly polished micro*phones. Instead of being open on both sides as in the conventional velocity mi*crophone, the ribbon element in this micro*phone is coupled to an acoustic labyrinth which forms the body portion of the micro*phone. The tube connecting the back of the ribbon to the labyrinth is slotted directly behind the ribbon and fitted with an adjustable shutter to secure various areas of opening. When the opening is completely closed, the micro*phone operates as a non-directional pressure micro*phone; at the wide-open position the micro*phone becomes bi-directional. With the proper size opening the pattern becomes a cardioid by virtue of the phase shift which occurs. Openings smaller or larger than this critical size produce directional patterns with various sized rear lobes. Different amounts of low-frequency attenuation are obtained by a reactor shunting the output. These micro*phones are intended primarily for indoor use and if used outdoors may require some additional protection against the wind.