The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New producer, need a little bit of help..
Old 28th May 2013
Gear interested

New producer, need a little bit of help..

so basically, i have been producing music since november, and been recording/engineering since about late 2011, that is just in my room with my friend.

The trouble im having it that i dont play an instrument, i have guitar, just havent learnt and i have keyboard in which i use for creating music.

And basically, i get to the point when making beats where i have lay down the drums, and base, with some strings, and then i am stuck on what to do next, what to put with the track, what chords? what to play?, and i always end up using my college tutor for some help, and he will help me out, but i wont really learn much from what he has done, and basically, im looking to improve on my music theory, understand playing chords on a piano, understand what chords to play, change the track up abit to stop it being boring, i use logic pro.

im just wondering if there is any good sites or videos, or even book i can read up on and help improve my theory, im better at people demonstrating what to do then i learn from that, so all help is needed thanks.

sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i cant find the right thread.
Old 28th May 2013
I would just simply go to youtube and type something like "learning piano chords" or something like that, for the start. There are so many musicians posting videos and teaching lessons.
Old 29th May 2013
Gear interested

As stated above there are many tutorial vidoes for piano chords, key progressions, and all of that. Check those out, play around and just have fun. The theory is important, but more important is the connection you have with the music. Does it sound good, does it feel right. Just my opinion anyway.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

post up one of your skeleton tracks
Old 29th May 2013
Gax
Lives for gear

Find a professional piano teacher, that way you will learn music theory along with instrument playing.... and if you have already mastered basics of piano (doubt it judging from your post), then move on-to jazz piano lessons and improvisation lessons.

first: circles of fifths, at least major and minor key scales, and basic triad major and minor chord progressions...easy as counting to 10

Start slowly and invest alot time into creation of your music, dont just expect to have everything finished within 15 minutes, no wonder why you don't know whats the next chord you want to play because you get writers block or what ever its called. Music comes from the heart.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search